Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
But we've ALREADY tried this with Martinez. It's almost literally a different version of what Martinez did. And, quite honestly, if we're going that route I'd rather have the guy who was charming and spoke glowingly about our club than the one that bounces around once every year and is a dour tit.

And when we tried it (with Martinez), it nearly worked. So try again but this time with a lot more money behind the manager.

Some stats from Silva's time at Watford (using figures from BBC article):
Goals conceded/game "pre-approach" (11 games): 1.91
Goals conceded/game "post-approach" (13 games): 1.77

GD pre: -4
GD post: -7

GC/G post-Silva (14 games): 1.43
GD post-Silva: -9

According to my calculations (quickly knocked up in Excel this morning), if Silva had remained in charge and Watford continued in the manner they had "post-approach" (no return to previous form or further decline), then they would have conceded 5 more goals (but scored 6 more), and picked up =<3pts less - finishing 1 place lower (still 5pts clear of the relegation places).

If they continued as they'd averaged up to his sacking (so including pre and post "approach" form) they would have conceded 6 more goals, scored 8 more, and earned the same number of points.

Their win% at the time of his sacking was 29% (36 pre, 23 post). At the end of the season it was 29%.

upload_2018-5-18_15-24-31.webp

(Needed a break from coding php/css at work!)

With all due respect, I think you’ll find that out Forum is far less serious than this one and we have a sense of realism. One of your fans came over and a sensible exchange of views entailed and no one attempted to chase him away by throwing insults at him.

We’d welcome any of you over to do the same. But the danger is that we don’t fit your rhetoric and will give another side of the story - and I think it’s clear you don’t like listening to that.

Probably because he didn't go on there acting the goat:coffee:

Did you watch every Hull or Watford match? Because when Hull and Watford supporters say "he can't defend, he'll be sacked by February", why would you put your fingers in your ears saying "I CAN'T HEAR YOUUUU"

No but I do drive to uni every day with a Watford fan and he tells me he’s a good manager and will be good for us. Although he thinks we can aim higher, which I think most of us believe we could.

Unless their fans are Nostradamus then I don’t give much weight to their “he’ll be sacked by February” assessment tbh

According to my calculations (quickly knocked up in Excel this morning), if Silva had remained in charge and Watford continued in the manner they had "post-approach" (no return to previous form or further decline), then they would have conceded 5 more goals (but scored 6 more), and picked up =<3pts less - finishing 1 place lower (still 5pts clear of the relegation places).

If they continued as they'd averaged up to his sacking (so including pre and post "approach" form) they would have conceded 6 more goals, scored 8 more, and earned the same number of points.

Their win% at the time of his sacking was 29% (36 pre, 23 post). At the end of the season it was 29%.

View attachment 46433

In layman's terms pls

View attachment 46433

Alan Turing would have a job decoding that Phil

Benitez won the CL with Liverpool and the Europa with Chelsea yet failed massively at Inter and Madrid, Ranieri won a league at Leicester but messed up plenty of other places. Zidane couldn’t coach the reserve team then becomes the first coach to win the CL twice (hopefully thrice) in a row. Wenger and Klopp has both relegated teams before.

The point is that a statistical analysis on what Silva did in a short period of time at Hull or Watford will not give and indicator of how he will perform here. Every club is completely different and sometimes it just fits (Koeman Southampton) and other times it just doesn’t (Koeman and us). For whatever reason, Moshiri and Brands presumably believe that Silva has talent just like the owners of Sporting Lisbon, Olympiakos, and Watford did. Perhaps we can supply the right conditions for him to show it.

In layman's terms pls

Alan Turing would have a job decoding that Phil

Haha :eek: :D

Basically whilst they have conceded less under Gracia, they have also scored less, and if Silva had stayed and done as good a job as he had overall they would have finished exactly where they did. Even if they'd continued their poor form until the end of the season they would only have finished 1 place lower. He (Silva) basically went from massively over achieving to doing exactly what you'd expect Watford to do (and subsequently did).

In fact it could be said that they were more successful the more goals they conceded...

Haha :eek: :D

Basically whilst they have conceded less under Gracia, they have also scored less, and if Silva had stayed and done as good a job as he had overall they would have finished exactly where they did. Even if they'd continued their poor form until the end of the season they would only have finished 1 place lower. He (Silva) basically went from massively over achieving to doing exactly what you'd expect Watford to do (and subsequently did).

In fact it could be said that they were more successful the more goals they conceded...
Thanks mate.

giphy.gif

Well we showed interest 3 months into the season and that's when his downfall started.
My point is more that we were awful this year and came 8th. If Silva does such a job that another club poached him from us then he must surely have got us in and around top 4.

I think Everton are the biggest club that Silva could hope to manage at this point in his career. To attract a bigger job than us means he really has to do something special at Goodison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back