Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
id much prefer us to go for a manager with a much better record than the one Silva has.

Watford was ideal for him.

if he somehow managed to get them into the Europa or win the cup, then perhaps we should consider him, but he is top of our list because he has won the greek league, the equivalent of the League of Wales... why aren't we considering the TNS boss?
its a tough one really, say we got Conte, unlikely a know but as soon as a bigger club sack their manager, they be after Conte and he go and we be stuck with no manager again, half way thought a season

Not sure I’d call it unambitious. After all, Guardiola and Zidane had no top level experience before becoming Barcelona and Real Madrid managers.

It is high risk though - they must see something in him to give him such a big job but no doubt he’ll be under a lot of pressure if they under perform.

Could be a poisoned chalice similar to post-Ferguson Man Utd.

Zidane and Guardiola were the u21 managers of their respective clubs before stepping up though so the clubs did see how they managed before promoting them.

Silva is fine by me. We are where we are, as the saying goes. He can reintroduce us to football again after the last two lost seasons. Hopefully our fans will never again call for "pragmatism" - a case of be careful what you wish for after the last two duds.

Hopefully with financial backing and a more assured DoF above then the doubts regarding his defensive questions can be addressed.

Silva is fine by me. We are where we are, as the saying goes. He can reintroduce us to football again after the last two lost seasons. Hopefully our fans will never again call for "pragmatism" - a case of be careful what you wish for after the last two duds.
Be nice to see some attacking football and with decent DOF we should have an improve squad

Allardyce was approached a second time to take over after the Southampton game when we were truly desperate and looking into the abyss of worse things to come.

The lack of pace, goalscorer, chronic concession of goals by the bucketful and total imbalance of the squad were so self evident, we were in accident and emergency and needing intensive care.

Although appointed and watching he actually took charge after West Ham which lifted the heavy gloom slightly.

Its not so much our finishing position of 8th which considering the perilous state we were in is commendable enough, but that the aspirations and goals of the fans changed once we were safe, then the priority was not stopping the alarming decline from getting terminal, but aiming higher and being far more positive.

Anyone can see that the football was dire and with a large section of the fans totally against him from day one whatever he did, it was not surprising that those voices got greater and louder. You have to engage the fans to stay in post nowadays and his character and background baggage were always likely to make that impossible, as soon as the entertaiment and football showed no signs of improving he would have to go.

We do seem to have a majority shareholder who is anxious to make popular and even populist decisions at the best of times, hence his thinking Simeone or possibly other high profile managers realistic last time round, the clamour for change seemed to make his mind up whether right or wrong.

In these days of social media, discontent spreads like wildfire during the week and match days are the opportunity for that which has been building and spreading during the week to reach a crescendo.

I have my doubts about Silva as it could like any management change go so very wrong but I'll support him and hope its the start of something better.

There is though a very minimal up side but a huge potential downside for league position.

(I must admit you can see a whole host of clubs in trouble in November asking for Allardyce's help)

if brands can assess the squad and identify where we need strengthening, hopefully he can find the players and get silva to implement them into his formation / style

It is a strange way to do business for sure but I would say it's more wreck-less and amateurish, it wouldn't be so bad if it was straight forward but add in the saga with the FA and the tapping up, and add to that he isn't exactly a sought after manager, but Moshiri has gone all-in on him? Its ridiculous. What worries me is Moshiri has been that desperate to get him, if he does turn out to be a nightmare that takes us to the relegation zone he might not be willing to give up his prize possession because he is the one he wants
Don't think that's a worry tbh

He had a massive hard on for the Ronk as well but that didn't stop him from binning him as soon as he became a problem

HAHA i remember this, should appoint him just for this

But the Tigers’ decision to replace a British coach with a foreign manager - a foreign manager many hadn’t heard of before, despite his achievements in Greece - didn’t go down well with the panel on Sky Sports’ Soccer Saturday.

Outlining the fact that Silva had an impressive record thanks to his spells with Sporting Lisbon and Olympiakos, Soccer Saturday host Jeff Stelling was shot down by a perplexed Paul Merson.

“I could win the league with Olympiakos,” the former Arsenal star responded. “They’ve won it 107 times and it’s only been going 106 years.”

He continued: “The thing is, why does it always have to be a foreign manager?

“What’s he know about the Premier League? What’s he know?”

Phil Thompson then went further, claiming Silva’s appointment was ‘embarrassing’.

“It’s totally astonishing that they have plumped for someone like this. It’s baffling. When there are a lot of people out there who know about the Premier League, about what’s required to dig in. He’s not got a clue,” the former Liverpool assistant manager added.

“It’s just another slap in the face to British coaches and managers, and what they have done to make this appointment for six months is just embarrassing.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back