Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
HAHA i remember this, should appoint him just for this

But the Tigers’ decision to replace a British coach with a foreign manager - a foreign manager many hadn’t heard of before, despite his achievements in Greece - didn’t go down well with the panel on Sky Sports’ Soccer Saturday.

Outlining the fact that Silva had an impressive record thanks to his spells with Sporting Lisbon and Olympiakos, Soccer Saturday host Jeff Stelling was shot down by a perplexed Paul Merson.

“I could win the league with Olympiakos,” the former Arsenal star responded. “They’ve won it 107 times and it’s only been going 106 years.”

He continued: “The thing is, why does it always have to be a foreign manager?

“What’s he know about the Premier League? What’s he know?”

Phil Thompson then went further, claiming Silva’s appointment was ‘embarrassing’.

“It’s totally astonishing that they have plumped for someone like this. It’s baffling. When there are a lot of people out there who know about the Premier League, about what’s required to dig in. He’s not got a clue,” the former Liverpool assistant manager added.

“It’s just another slap in the face to British coaches and managers, and what they have done to make this appointment for six months is just embarrassing.”
That's brilliant. Yeah go for a British manager. Like we did. Look at the substandard of football the majority of British managers churn out. England aren't competitive on the international stage for a reason and the vast majority of playing and coaching staff in the top flight of English football are from overseas. These guys are part of the reason for that, they're all dinosaurs, they go into punditry moving virtual players around on a screen and not into coaching and management because of that. I love that guys like Thomson sit there spouting all this [Poor language removed] about what clubs should and shouldn't be doing when throughout their playing career they were average and occasionally slightly above average players with no management experience.

Yes, this if he comes. Not my first choice but come on you blues.
He might turn out to be a diamond.

Thinking back, I wanted Koeman, look how that turned out.
I never wanted Koeman. No expertise on my behalf, just had a bad feeling. I just think there's better managers out there than Silva. But as others have rightly said, he's the best we could hope for at this moment in time
I really hope he gets off to a flyer, I couldn't handle another struggle and merry go round of managers.

408D28F600000578-4524758-image-m-36_1495281868155.jpg

14990933820111.jpg

Brought some good players into PSV and with Raiola he wont be short of suggestions.

Just hoping this turns out like it has for Wolves with Mendes. Not all the players signed have been his clients but he’s clearly had an input which has benefitted them greatly and allowed them to sign players like Neves who is clearly too good for them.

HAHA i remember this, should appoint him just for this

But the Tigers’ decision to replace a British coach with a foreign manager - a foreign manager many hadn’t heard of before, despite his achievements in Greece - didn’t go down well with the panel on Sky Sports’ Soccer Saturday.

Outlining the fact that Silva had an impressive record thanks to his spells with Sporting Lisbon and Olympiakos, Soccer Saturday host Jeff Stelling was shot down by a perplexed Paul Merson.

“I could win the league with Olympiakos,” the former Arsenal star responded. “They’ve won it 107 times and it’s only been going 106 years.”

He continued: “The thing is, why does it always have to be a foreign manager?

“What’s he know about the Premier League? What’s he know?”

Phil Thompson then went further, claiming Silva’s appointment was ‘embarrassing’.

“It’s totally astonishing that they have plumped for someone like this. It’s baffling. When there are a lot of people out there who know about the Premier League, about what’s required to dig in. He’s not got a clue,” the former Liverpool assistant manager added.

“It’s just another slap in the face to British coaches and managers, and what they have done to make this appointment for six months is just embarrassing.”
And yet it is now 25 years since an English manager won the league

It's not always the managers though.

Those clubs have massive expectations. If you don't exceed them, you're out.
I get that but it seems you can win a league or cup and still be out that year. Seems nuts given that 2 of those teams can’t win the league every year.

I'd say him and The Brands are 99% sure of who they're keeping and who's getting punted. Been working with us passed six months I'd say. Unofficially like.
This is true. And I also think he might have saa in the manager selection too. Se wouldnt hire a manager without this mans nod

I'd say him and The Brands are 99% sure of who they're keeping and who's getting punted. Been working with us passed six months I'd say. Unofficially like.
Wish they would start binning some of them off. I know the window JUST opened but we have soooo much that needs to get shipped out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back