Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't want Silva, really don't like his defensive record which is poor, it's ok playing attacking football but if you cannot defend you are in trouble.

If you buy good defenders, they, well, defend.

Not true imo. Defenders are only as good as their system, and you only have to look at Poch to see what a structured approach to defensive coaching can yield from limited players. He made the likes of Danny Rose and Lovren look like defenders ffs.

If you can get 4 lads defending like a unit, they will be better than the sum of their parts. I would also add fitness record to the list of important traits of a good defender. They need to play week in, week out, no point in buying the next Maldini if he is only fit for half a season

You know its the players that defend, not the manager, right?

If you buy good defenders, they, well, defend.
I think it [his poor goals conceded record in the PL] is more to do with a coach who has been well thought of as a defensive organiser in Portugal gambling in the PL to get goals, because that's the way our league is: accent on getting a lot of goals per game. He went native and paid the price. I can see him rectifying that in a situation where he has more security and time to roll his plan out.

I hated the appointments of Martinez and Koeman, and as soon as I reached my pleasantly surprised phase with both of them, they tanked. I am going to deride this appointment at every turn and maintain my pessimism even through the most joyous of glories

Last edited:
Not true imo. Defenders are only as good as their system, and you only have to look at Poch to see what a structured approach to defensive coaching can yield from limited players. He made the likes of Danny Rose and Lovren look like defenders ffs.

If you can get 4 lads defending like a unit, they will be better than the sum of their parts. I would also add fitness record to the list of important traits of a good defender. They need to play week in, week out, no point in buying the next Maldini if he is only fit for half a season
spot on prev

I think it [his poor goals conceded record in the PL] is more to do with a coach who has been well thought of as a defensive organiser in Portugal gambling in the PL to get goals, because that's the way our league is: accent on getting a lot of goals per game. He went native and paid the price. I can see him rectifying that in a situation where he has more security and time to roll his plan out.
oh dave.

allardyce doesn't change

mourinho doesn't change

klopp defo doesn't change

and here we are expecting silva to somehow coach us in to a defensive stronghold system.

no dave.

I hated the appointments of Martinez and Koeman, and as soon as I reached the my pleasantly surprised phase with both of them, they tanked. I am going to deride this appointment at every turn and maintain my pessimism even through the most joyous of glories

I was similiar with Martinez and Koeman, unfortunately I have a worse feeling about Silva than both of them, so hopefully I am wide of the mark and he makes it third time lucky.

Just wish we would have gone with someone who didn’t need three chances to be a success in England.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back