Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the problem is constantly going for failures on the back of them being polar opposites is a recipe for failure:

Martinez left - "ah he was too soft and couldn't defend we need a tough SOB manager who can defend"

We got Koeman - "ah he was too hard on the players and lost the dressing room/didnt get the club we need a manager who's one of us and who gets us

We got Unsworth- "ah he isnt cut out for the job we need an experienced manager who can get back to basics"

We got Alladyce "ah he's utterly dire we need anyone who can play good attacking football"

We got Martin...

That my point our fanbase need to stop accepting the same crap and demand the board hears our apathy we need a good manager someone who can attack AND defend otherwise its going to be the same old cycle next season or so guaranteed.
I can't disagree if honest
I think my point is I want to see attractive football again, even though we had a good first season under RK it wasn't great to watch.

Silva is 40 years old and already has a cracking CV. He’s a young coach who has new fresh ideas and likes to play high pressing attacking football. He’d get us playing some cracking stuff next season I have no doubt.

Brands is vital here as well. Get him in and get busy in the market signing two or three top quality players, bring Lookman and hopefully Onyekuru back (if he can get a permit)and give more opportunities to the likes of them and Vlasic and Silva will have us upwardly mobile.

I wasn't that keen on the idea of Silva when we tried to get him, but now after the time with Sam I've really warmed to the idea. Silvas bad run at Watford was to some part our fault because we had unsettled him, if he can here he would have to be more professional than that, because if he did well there would always be people come a knocking for his services. He's available so there's no barriers now so the task of getting Sam out and Silva in could be very swift, there's been names linked to us in the past like Simeone but there's no chance of us getting someone with his standing in the game at this moment in time. So Silva looks like he would be a decent fit and I like his management style, so come on Moshiri make it happen.

Ah just like he relegated estoril. Nah, he didn't he took them from the 2nd Division in Portugal to Europa league despite having less than what 3000 fans a week.

Like what he did at sporting? Nah he won them their first trophy in 7 years in his one and only season.

Like what he did at olympiakos? Nah, he broke an all time Greek record for wins in a row whilst winning the league and putting arsenal to the sword in the champions league?

Like what he did at hull? Nah he too a side that had an 11% win ratio that just sold their best players and turned that into a 37% ratio. Remarkable but yeah he relegated them. Their win ratio with much the same squad is far less this season in the championship.

Or Watford. Had them flying high until we came calling. They were in their highest position ever in the premiership even when he was sacked. The subsequent manager has a lesser win ratio. Even including when the players chucked it under him when he made it clear he wanted to come here.

Silva is a fantastic manager. We will be lucky to have him. But yeah he relegated hull.

I liked what Silva did at Hull. Very nearly keeping up one of the worst squads in Premier League history was impressive, as was the feat of guiding Hull to victory over Man Utd in the first leg of the League Cup semi-final. And as others have mentioned he did well to guide Sporting to their first major trophy in seven years.

However, for me it's his record at Olympiacos that's most impressive. Under his stewardship they won their first SEVENTEEN domestic matches of the 2015/16 season, eventually winning the Greek title (Superleague Greece) with ease. They also trounced Arsenal in the Champions League.

Cracking young manager.

He was never going to succeed at Watford. They're a small club with no money.

Silva is 40 years old and already has a cracking CV. He’s a young coach who has new fresh ideas and likes to play high pressing attacking football. He’d get us playing some cracking stuff next season I have no doubt.

Brands is vital here as well. Get him in and get busy in the market signing two or three top quality players, bring Lookman and hopefully Onyekuru back (if he can get a permit)and give more opportunities to the likes of them and Vlasic and Silva will have us upwardly mobile.

I think you're in the wrong thread here lads....no place for knowledgeable posts with a dash of common sense in here ;)

He'd be 'Ace'...

Hope he's been tapped up and watching our games etc and he's signed and sealed this/next week.

If the top echelon if managers like Simeone are unattainable for us I’d much much rather we give it to Eddie Howe than Silva, much more convincing for me.

If the top echelon if managers like Simeone are unattainable for us I’d much much rather we give it to Eddie Howe than Silva, much more convincing for me.
I wouldn't be against Howe, he's proved to be a very good premier league manager, but any of them to imo would be a decent fit for us. I just don't want no more dinosaur thinking managers like Sam and to a degree Koeman, there managerial heads are still in the 80s, the games moved on a very long way since then.

On the day he was sacked Watford were above where they had ever finished in the premier league. Despite the players having chucked it as he made it clear he wanted to come to us. Their next manager had a lesser win ratio and finished the league below where they ended up with Marco despite not having the upheaval Marco had to deal with.
Yeah I know all that but his defensive record still wasn’t great. Now the 42 games he’s had in the Premier League could all be a bit of a one off but it’s a big concern conceding 80 goals in 42 games.

Its clear Moshiri wants a manager doing well in the prem- Koeman then Silva. Its lazy but this is the reality without a proper DOF.

Hopefully Brands comes in and gets the ability to act in the proper way a DOF should.

I'll back Silva but it has to be Emery or Wenger.
I think you’re spot on about Moshiri’s approach. Regarding Brands I completely agree, if he’s given the full authority that’s our best hope of getting the correct manager in the future.

Ive been wading though some of the “stuff” printed about Silva ve the last couple of years and in particular trying to understand what heppened at Watford. Many of us seem to think it is evidence of a weakness in his ability when actually i think it may just be the opposite.
By all accounts he is a great man manager. Players like him. They want to play for him. He apparently creates a strong bond with his squad almost immediately. This is what happens when a leader has the extra factor. Not just a good coach BUT inspirational leader. Leaders like this appear in all walks of life not jus football. They make a difference. What they do create is a sense for the players who work with him of being “touched moved and inspired” by his vision and leadership.
Players believe in him. Their actions reflect his vision and belief.
So how the as t was the case at Watford do players react whe he brings them under his spell and then seemingly jilts them after 8 games or so for greener pastures....its a messy break up...
I think he is exactly what we need right now. Just as we ended a Sam like figure to pull us out of the thinkable we now need an Inspirational easer to pull us together
I think he may be it

Last edited:
My main concern with Silva is I don't know what his style of play is. He hasn't been anywhere long enough for me to look at a team and know it is his.

Everything I read is positive but a bit contradictory. Some describe him as a meticulous planner obsessed with defensive shape and others someone who wants to dominate with the ball and others who say he plays on the break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back