Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh come on Michael. They outstayed their welcome in the PL and you know it.
Staying up for as long as they did was an achievement.
Winning the FA Cup is the stuff of dreams for Wigan.

Why though? It wasn't a fluke that they'd had two solid midtable finishes in a row, it was down to very good shrewd management from Steve Bruce. It also wasn't a coincidence that Roberto came in and led that team into oblivion conceding 200 goals trying to play like Barcelona with Franco di Santo in the Messi role

Why though? It wasn't a fluke that they'd had two solid midtable finishes in a row, it was down to very good shrewd management from Steve Bruce. It also wasn't a coincidence that Roberto came in and led that team into oblivion conceding 200 goals trying to play like Barcelona with Franco di Santo in the Messi role
What a player.
Do you think we could get him?

Oh come on Michael. They outstayed their welcome in the PL and you know it.
Staying up for as long as they did was an achievement.
Winning the FA Cup is the stuff of dreams for Wigan.

the thing is, they just didn't over achieve by staying up. they won games, earned points, they had every right to be in the league. So the mid table bruce team was a mid table bruce team, same as bournemouth are a mid table premier league team. So the team that went down was a relegation team, headed up by martinez.

So paying wigan disrespect to try and inflate the image of Martinez is the wrong thing to do. He signed his players, he relegated them, and was the only manager to relegate wigan out of the league.

because offensively he's a great manager
because he will have the pick of the best, in form national players
He can concentrate on the players expressing themselves as they will all be well drilled defensively at their respective clubs (i,e, his weakness is being nullified).

there are great similarities I think between what he had in season 1 here and his Belgium job.
that doesn't answer why they hired him mate ;)

that answers why he could well be a success in the job. Which he could be, he has top quality players in the squad.

It is just clear that they hired him because he was cheap. They might have saw the attacking qualities sure, but would have seen the relegation, the poor performances of their leading striker, the defensive issues, the sacking, fans turning on him etc

and to hire him after all of that? Because he was cheap .

@davek
all hypothetical but do you think Martinez's biggest downfall may have been the Lukaku purchase? using his entire budget on a rough diamond would have been brilliant long-term when sold for healthy profit.
Really though, he needed to plug the gaps in other areas I think.

@davek
all hypothetical but do you think Martinez's biggest downfall may have been the Lukaku purchase? using his entire budget on a rough diamond would have been brilliant long-term when sold for healthy profit.

Lukaku kept us away from the relegation battle pack 2 years running. If anything lukaku prolonged his time here

@davek

It's a good call, although it seems harsh to state buying a player who has become our best scorer for decades was a mistake.

Surely the way to look at it is to say that more funds was required to complete the rest of the squad development?

That said, I do see that Roberto would have required a change of philosophy even with an upgrade in player in key areas of the squad. You can see how bamboozled Guardiola is right now with the riche at his fingertips trying to keep to his similar method at City.

PMSL Lukaku saved us from your hero taking us down man.lol
Nah, doubt it.
We would have got a 10 goal a year man from somewhere.
He's been a superb signing, I just wonder whether spending his entire kitty was wise, especially with the work and indulging Lukaku needed.
Take @davek 's point though, it's an extremely harsh critique, I'll freely admit that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back