Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't expect a reply, lid.
It is incredible to think that @davek genuinely believes what he says. I can't imagine what this site would have been like 12 months ago with opinions like that!

When top clubs sack managers simply for not winning something, i can't explain any attitude that would have Martinez painted in a positive light at all. It is such a small time mentality that it makes you wonder if thoughts like that want the club to be small time and settle on being the under dog without ever wanting to go forward. A FA cup once in a while and all is good? It is just incredible!

So you're trying to say that Wilmotts wasn't on £500k a year and that Martinez didn't walk away with a £10m payout from EFC??? Really??

Martinez served up 2 years of absolute bilge before he was rightly sacked. At least his players now are getting proper training sessions at their respective clubs, so he can't ruin their defensive drilling and fitness levels.

I don't see what his pay off has anything to do with you or anyone other than him and the club. I don't get peoples obsession with stuff like that.

I don't see what his pay off has anything to do with you or anyone other than him and the club. I don't get peoples obsession with stuff like that.
The payoff meant that he could take a relatively low paid managerial job by current standards, which he did.

It's perfectly relevant anyway, as the club felt he should take less than a full contract payout due to his piss poor performance for 2 seasons, and he refused to agree so it went to arbitration, and the club lost. If I tossed my job up for 2 years, I'd feel a moral obligation to do a deal with my employer over severance, Bobby wrung the club out for every penny, not the actions of a 'fine man' imo.

The payoff meant that he could take a relatively low paid managerial job by current standards, which he did.

It's perfectly relevant anyway, as the club felt he should take less than a full contract payout due to his piss poor performance for 2 seasons, and he refused to agree so it went to arbitration, and the club lost. If I tossed my job up for 2 years, I'd feel a moral obligation to do a deal with my employer over severance, Bobby wrung the club out for every penny, not the actions of a 'fine man' imo.

Lets face it you would take them for everything you could. Anybody would, let's not be daft now.

Why are you bothered about it? You (or anybody else) know anything about it. He is no longer our manager, that should be all that anybody is bothered about. I just find the obsession a bit odd.

Lets face it you would take them for everything you could. Anybody would, let's not be daft now.

Why are you bothered about it? You (or anybody else) know anything about it. He is no longer our manager, that should be all that anybody is bothered about. I just find the obsession a bit odd.

You can't speak for me, as if I felt I'd done a poor job, I'd agree a mutually agreeable compromise, it's called personal pride.

I'm not unduly bothered about it, I brought it up because it explains why Martinez could afford to take a relatively low paid managerial position as Belgian head coach, and this is a thread about errrrrmmm Martinez.

You can't speak for me, as if I felt I'd done a poor job, I'd agree a mutually agreeable compromise, it's called personal pride.

I'm not unduly bothered about it, I brought it up because it explains why Martinez could afford to take a relatively low paid managerial position as Belgian head coach, and this is a thread about errrrrmmm Martinez.

And what if you think you didn't do a bad job or your colleagues were all knobheads who didn't do what you asked of them? Pushing for what you are legally owed does not make you a bad person.

Martinez has not gone there for money or anything anyway, its an opportunity to rebuild his battered reputation.

So you're trying to say that Wilmotts wasn't on £500k a year and that Martinez didn't walk away with a £10m payout from EFC??? Really??

Martinez served up 2 years of absolute bilge before he was rightly sacked. At least his players now are getting proper training sessions at their respective clubs, so he can't ruin their defensive drilling and fitness levels.

What is Martinez on a year at the moment for Belgium?

Have they ever said?

so what justification can you have of supporting our former manager to that extent when the stats put him in the bottom two of our worst ever managers in our history. The fact was the man that made going to Goodison a terrible experience, that alone should warrant no support from any fan let alone to defend him. And yes he did win an FA cup, but not with us, so why does it matter? Reading your posts over time, Koemans cup and league wins in his career seem to be dismissed as not 'successful' so why on earth does martinez's one trophy count in your argument?
What?!

http://www.managerstats.co.uk/clubs/everton/

Roberto Martinez is a manager that has managed to con his way into two top jobs despite destroying both clubs he has left. We were a shambles this summer compared to the largely 11 years under Moyes, and Wigan was destroyed enough that they haven't been able to group together.

Either way any manager of any team who makes going the game a bad experience warrants no support because of success before he came here. That is a small time mentality to have as a fan, top clubs don't settle for it but you are happy with what Martinez achieved at the club?

How has destroyed two clubs? Which ones? The Swansea he picked up from obscurity and put them back on the map? A minnow club like Wigan he gave a trophy to and it'll be the first and last they ever win? The Everton team he had playing and winning record number of games with? The Belgian team he's yet to see defeat with in qualifying?

The best anyone could argue against Martinez is that he's failed to sustain the promise he brought to some of those jobs. But the heights he's hit along the way deserve respect, because they're something this current Everton manager couldn't ever do...not in a month of Sundays.

I personally hope he gets the Belgians to the WC finals and they go a long way in that tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back