Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spot on.

Who cares, lets stand by and laugh, whilst he destroys Belgium lol
He's doing a terrible job of that right now.

Lol...amazing how some will just not let it go and refuse to give Martinez any credit whatsoever.

It's so weird to me.

Did he ultimately fail? Yes and he was sacked for it. The need for some to make it out to be like the worst 3 seasons in our history is so weird though...and they are compelled to respond and keep shouting it. Refusing to accept anything positive...or completely ignoring it.

He's litterally in some of your heads and it's not healthy.

I think that's because records dont lie and cant be expunged until someone surpasses the record.

Not going to happen this season, unfortunately.

Not a good manager.

Had some ok ideas, clearly can't work with top players as their regular boss, was far too idealistic and stubborn, overwhelming optimism double edged sword.

I have no idea what actually caused the fallout between him and the players, but it happened and he was done. If he learns from his failure he may become a decent manager, though does not appear to have anything beyond decent available to him.

That said, he didn't ruin the club. The club was in a toxic place due to a decade of stagnation. Before him we interviewed Phil Neville, ffs. Failure was certain. We needed someone of the caliber of Ferguson or Mourinho to overturn our inferiority complex and caution. He wasn't it.

We went from Tony Pulis with job security to someone with more potential, but it was a lottery ticket that didn't pay out - like most of them.

He's firmly mediocre, which is what we have been for a few decades now. Unlike Moyes he wasn't in the top end of mediocre (where Allardyce and Pulis also reside), but on the lower end that regularly struggle in relegation battles and sometimes lose them. So he was fired.

Which is good. But I'm with @ilikecheese here - I don't understand why people act like we fell from some sort of glory due to him. We lost a few positions falling from upper midtable to firmly midtable and went on some disappointing cup runs. Off the pitch he was engaging and seemed to truly care about the club and its history and fans (regardless of how much he unintentionally battered us with the football). That's hardly 'ruined'.

We would have been screwed good and proper if we had someone like Martinez as manager during the Walter Smith years.The jury is still out on Koeman.I accept that.But Martinez would not have turned it around.He lost the players and the man was too vain and stubborn to change his ways and learn from his mistakes.The man had to go and if anything he should have been fired sooner than he was.The first season was great under him.Bettering a points total of 72 points is the challenge for Koeman i admit and accept that.Likewise i think Martinez's most fanatical supporters should accept that he lost the plot in his last two seasons!Seriously a sunday morning amateur side would show more organisation and structure than Everton under Martinez at our worst.An amateur sunday morning side would also have made a better attempt at holding our advantage in that second leg against Dynamo Kiev as well.Seriously it was like we had Frank Spencer managing us that night in Kiev!

Last edited:

He's firmly mediocre, which is what we have been for a few decades now. Unlike Moyes he wasn't in the top end of mediocre (where Allardyce and Pulis also reside), but on the lower end that regularly struggle in relegation battles and sometimes lose them. So he was fired.

Which is good. But I'm with @ilikecheese here - I don't understand why people act like we fell from some sort of glory due to him. We lost a few positions falling from upper midtable to firmly midtable and went on some disappointing cup runs. Off the pitch he was engaging and seemed to truly care about the club and its history and fans (regardless of how much he unintentionally battered us with the football). That's hardly 'ruined'.
I think it's more the distaste at seeing a self-serving creep ingratiate himself into our club, into a position of power and influence, such that he could bend us over for millions in compensation once he was exposed as a con man. That's causes hard feelings. I mean you're right in the grand scheme of things this wasn't one of those watershed moments, where we made a bad decision that will resonate years into the future. We needed a fresh start and that basically got delayed a few years, and Moyes' player base was robust enough to prevent a disintigration.

If you compare him to Mike Walker, the most obvious reference point of post-war Everton managers - took over from a flagging manager, slightly improved the status quo in the immediate short term, but then went drastically to [Poor language removed]. Both were desperately out of their depth, but Walker didn't do anything to hide it, so got lashed right out of it in short order, gone forever. Martinez managed to hoodwink the club into giving him the best part of three seasons.

I think it's more the distaste at seeing a self-serving creep ingratiate himself into our club, into a position of power and influence, such that he could bend us over for millions in compensation once he was exposed as a con man. That's causes hard feelings. I mean you're right in the grand scheme of things this wasn't one of those watershed moments, where we made a bad decision that will resonate years into the future. We needed a fresh start and that basically got delayed a few years, and Moyes' player base was robust enough to prevent a disintigration.

If you compare him to Mike Walker, the most obvious reference point of post-war Everton managers - took over from a flagging manager, slightly improved the status quo in the immediate short term, but then went drastically to [Poor language removed]. Both were desperately out of their depth, but Walker didn't do anything to hide it, so got lashed right out of it in short order, gone forever. Martinez managed to hoodwink the club into giving him the best part of three seasons.
I can dig that reading of it, I mean, when the results go tits up, lenses change.

I guess I just don't personally blame the man for not being up to the job. The job was a borderline impossible one with the previous ownership and our particular history. Moyes simply had us doing the same thing that any number of teams are doing now - Mark Hughes at Stoke, X at Southampton, Pulis at West Brom - they're generally doing well without upsetting the big money teams. Just in the previous decade there were less big money teams, and that meant Moyes got us up to 5th-7th regularly instead of 7th-11th. It allowed us to build that as an expectation.

Martinez pulled us back a little bit from where Moyes had us. Yeah, a 'little' bit, because at the same time Tottenham got their house in order, Southampton's long game worked out for a few seasons, Stoke moved from Pulis, but show patience...more teams accepted that they're mostly fighting for Europa and solidified themselves as midtable clubs.

We have moved our needle very, very little in the past 8 years (counting from the Chelsea final, the last time anyone really thought Moyes would win a thing). We're so used to that stability the relatively small disruption of the past two seasons has seems colossal. It's all much of a muchness, we need financial backing or a damn maestro to change it. Martinez was certainly not the latter, and did not (relatively!) have the former.

He was lower-mediocre.

Wigans league finishes under him and the 3 before:

17th
14th
11th
16th Season he takes over
16th
15th
18th

With Everton:

7th
7th
6th
5th Season he takes over
11th
13th (when sacked)

What that says to me is he was a manager out of his depth in the Premier League. With both clubs he managed them to decline, after periods of improvement (Wigan) and stability (Everton) before him. The league should be your bread and butter and he ultimately couldn't hack it, whether it's down to ability (or lack of) or stubbornness is up for debate.

Having said that, he's a decent cup manager and I'd be surprised if he didn't make it to at least the quarters in the world cup.

Ha Ha ha.

Wigans league finishes under him and the 3 before:

Having said that, he's a decent cup manager and I'd be surprised if he didn't make it to at least the quarters in the world cup.
The lad in your avatar could manage Belgium to the quarters, tbf.

Going to be a bit torn seeing Belgium in the WC as I'd love to see them win it, despite the comedian in charge.

Everton Premier League managers.

Martinez best season: 72 points
Moyes best season: 65 points
Smith best season: 50 points
HKIII best season: 43 points
Royle best season: 61 points
HKII best season: 53 points
Harvey best season: 70 points

Read it and weep.

Everton Premier League managers.

Martinez best season: 72 points
Moyes best season: 65 points
Smith best season: 50 points
HKIII best season: 43 points
Royle best season: 61 points
HKII best season: 53 points
Harvey best season: 70 points

Read it and weep.

Read it but I remembered 44 points when he was sacked.

Premier League did not last for 1 season. What had he done between 2014-2016?

He lost 8 at home last season which was a record too.

How well you are doing is counted by league position not points. 72 = 5th. Weep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back