Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't be "right" as it's just your opinion as to what a very good coach is and that it is entirely subjective.

For the record though, you're wrong...

^^^^ Imagine one of us registering on a Liverpool forum to debate the merits of Brendan Rodgers' tenure at that club.

*shakes head*

Always gives me a belly laugh when that one comes up I must admit. Last English club left in Europe because we played on a Thursday and got to play Young Boys Bern instead of the likes of Barcelona or Bayern like the other English teams. The glory days.
We didn't make it to a farther round even. It was the round of 16 and we only got to be the last left because we played last. It lasted 48 hours. One Sky headline and suddenly it's an achievement for Martinez.

Sorry mate, you've lost me. I'm peddling a false narrative?

I think you'll find that my narrative is that Martinez is a very good coach and that the dwindling band of doubters on that score are making a show of themselves by describing him as a poor manager.

That's my "narrative", and I'm 100% right.

The selective use of stats whilst ignoring others, notably league placings, is my point about falseness.

I would love another of bobby's first season. Second season was a bit disappointing, third was dreadful. If you disagree fine, but that's how I see it amd I suspect many others.

The selective use of stats whilst ignoring others, notably league placings, is my point about falseness.

I would love another of bobby's first season. Second season was a bit disappointing, third was dreadful. If you disagree fine, but that's how I see it amd I suspect many others.
If it's not 1st to 4th, league placings mean nothing. If we'd finished 5th then 7th and 8th it would have been the same as 5th, 11th and 11th.

I'm not interested in also ran placings like 7th and 8th.

If it's not 1st to 4th, league placings mean nothing. If we'd finished 5th then 7th and 8th it would have been the same as 5th, 11th and 11th.

I'm not interested in also ran placings like 7th and 8th.

Well then it can only come down to winning something as history does not have us finishing 1 - 4 very often. Martinez failed to do that, as did many before and since. Record points score irrelevant as wasn't a 4th place by your argument above. Quality of football might count, great for 1 year then progressively worse over 2 years to pont of being as frustratingly poor as the worst of Koeman unfortunately.

Martinez failed and was rightfully sacked at Everton by inability to change approach over final 18 months. Interestingly he did change it up with Belgium during WC and was effective - shows development as a coach. But still ultimately did not succeed with us unfortunately, and did not kick us on from the platform set in year 1.

I'd love to see him build on the platform he has now set at Belgium and win the Euros, entirely possible and best luck to him.

He took up the challenge of Wigan and handed them a cup that club would expect to win every Preston Guild; he took up the challenge of teaching a team full of hoof merchants that Sgt Major Moyes left him and turned them into one of the most stylish teams in the PL who set club records...before they decided they wanted their hoofball back, the 'kin no-mark Judas gets.

I really dont think sitting in the comfort zone can be levelled at RM. He'll bide his time and get a really good Euro club. We all know that's inevitable. The job he's done with Belgium has been stunning.
David you are pure comedy gold.

I am being realistic. Maybe you think it's easy to go to a team (any team) and have them unbeaten for 25 games and then beat the likes of Brazil on the way to a WC SF? He has overseen Belgium's best ever period.

They were a good game by Lukaku away from playing in the WC final and in all likelihood winning it.

It's an utter joke that there are still some people doubting Martinez's credentials as a very very good coach.
Dont stop Dave, keep em coming lol

^^^^ Imagine one of us registering on a Liverpool forum to debate the merits of Brendan Rodgers' tenure at that club.

*shakes head*
Doubt we'd find anyone with hugely positive things to say outside of we had a good season but he was entirely inadequate in the long run. Same as Martinez really. Yet he we are with you defending his achievement of nothing to the end.

Well then it can only come down to winning something as history does not have us finishing 1 - 4 very often. Martinez failed to do that, as did many before and since. Record points score irrelevant as wasn't a 4th place by your argument above. Quality of football might count, great for 1 year then progressively worse over 2 years to pont of being as frustratingly poor as the worst of Koeman unfortunately.

Martinez failed and was rightfully sacked at Everton by inability to change approach over final 18 months. Interestingly he did change it up with Belgium during WC and was effective - shows development as a coach. But still ultimately did not succeed with us unfortunately, and did not kick us on from the platform set in year 1.

I'd love to see him build on the platform he has now set at Belgium and win the Euros, entirely possible and best luck to him.
He was here three seasons. Was it a success? No. Was it a failure? No. We played some great stuff and did well in all the competitions we can enter in one of the seasons or other he was here.

That's it.

He did brilliantly well before us, and he's done great at Belgium.

All of that ^^^ is true.

Outside of a handful of bitter defeated Everton fans the whole world of football recognises that truth that Roberto is a very very good coach.

Failure?

Three seasons he was here:

First season - Best ever PL season for points and wins playing the best counter attacking football most have ever seen by ANY Everton team on a consistent basis
Second season - Last English club left in Europe after a memorable EL campaign
Third season - Two domestic cup campaigns that get us to SFs of both cups

If the next three seasons are marked by "failure" like that then I and many others will be happy.

Your idea of "success" would appear to be making 7th/8th every season. Great stuff. Inspiring.

I'll give you the first season alright.But it's the second and third seasons, where you opinions leave the realms of reality, and descend into fantasy land stuff.In that european campaign, we imploded in embarrassing fashion in Kiev.As for the two semi finals, sure there's no point getting to semi finals if your going to lose them.Although granted Lukaku did leave both Everton and Martinez down in that FA semi final against United.So yes the first season was a success, but the second and third seasons a success?To quote Roy Keane about that incident in the Highbury tunnel with Patrick Vierra, im not having that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back