Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he might. Who wouldn't, tbf?
I thought you considered some of our players to vipers who down tools easily? (Which is somthing I'd agree with FWIW). He'd face much worse at Real. One slight sniff of weakness and they'd force him out. And only an interim job, would he really want to take a chance like that? Lopetegui was as safe as houses with the Spain job and look at him now. It's a massive risk should Martinez take the job and even if he goes ok it still might not be enough for him to get the job full time. Seems an awful big risk for possibly very little reward in the end.

Because it means less because he has a great squad.....

Thats the point people try to make when having a pop about Martinez.
In fairness, anyone having a pop at a manager for winning with a great squad is being downright perverse. Having a pop at a manager for not winning with a great squad might be construed as curmudgeonly, but not perverse.

Gotta hand it to Phil Jagielka, he manages to be far too nice AND an evil, scheming plotter stabbing Bob in the back. I don't know how he does it.

Also, I agree about Poch. Spurs signed bugger all this summer but they're still doing really well.

I thought you considered some of our players to vipers who down tools easily? (Which is somthing I'd agree with FWIW). He'd face much worse at Real. One slight sniff of weakness and they'd force him out. And only an interim job, would he really want to take a chance like that? Lopetegui was as safe as houses with the Spain job and look at him now. It's a massive risk should Martinez take the job and even if he goes ok it still might not be enough for him to get the job full time. Seems an awful big risk for possibly very little reward in the end.
Agreed. Jags and Baines have nothing on some of the egomaniacs that populate Real Madrid.

That's why I've been arguing he shouldn't consider if offered. Howver, we know the pull of a club like that. It is the Mecca for most in world football, especially latin peoples.

Of course, a gaggle of Martinez critics posting on a forum know more about the game than the Belgian FA and the world's biggest and most successful football club. How could anyone argue with their POV? It's bound to be more informed. :coffee:

Jumping the gun ever so slightly here, Dave - it's all just paper talk at the moment and I'm sure Spanish journos are every bit as bone idle and partial to a bit of 'cut and paste' as our lot. It's probably based on that interview Valdano gave when he suggested that Roberto would be more amenable to the giant egos in the Real dressing room than a disciplinarian like Conte would - he's definitely correct as well!

However, If he is offered the job he would be a fool to turn it down, and a fool is one thing Roberto certainly isn't, at least where his own career is concerned. They might have a few over-the-hill players but they are way better than their recent results so any new manager would almost certainly bring about a short-term improvement and then, if they choose to look elsewhere, could walk away with head held high and 'former Real Madrid manager' on their CV. And the money (and pay off) will no doubt be good.

It's tailor made for a short term manager and I'll bet the Great Firefighter himself, Samuel Allardicci, is busy right now in his luxury villa brushing up on his Spanish: "Ramos, traeme un pastel y la salsa!"

Wenger hasn't got a club at the mo, yet Bobby is somehow in the queue ahead of him ???
Certainly the sentiment/tone in here suggests the job is as good as Bobby's. But that sentiment might not prevail in other football forums. Fwiw, I don't think Wenger's recent managerial performance can match Bobby's. Taking Belgium to third in the World Cup trumps the record of any manager the Real board might be considering.

Certainly the sentiment/tone in here suggests the job is as good as Bobby's. But that sentiment might not prevail in other football forums. Fwiw, I don't think Wenger's recent managerial performance can match Bobby's. Taking Belgium to third in the World Cup trumps the record of any manager the Real board might be considering.

lol

Jumping the gun ever so slightly here, Dave - it's all just paper talk at the moment and I'm sure Spanish journos are every bit as bone idle and partial to a bit of 'cut and paste' as our lot. It's probably based on that interview Valdano gave when he suggested that Roberto would be more amenable to the giant egos in the Real dressing room than a disciplinarian like Conte would - he's definitely correct as well!

However, If he is offered the job he would be a fool to turn it down, and a fool is one thing Roberto certainly isn't, at least where his own career is concerned. They might have a few over-the-hill players but they are way better than their recent results so any new manager would almost certainly bring about a short-term improvement and then, if they choose to look elsewhere, could walk away with head held high and 'former Real Madrid manager' on their CV. And the money (and pay off) will no doubt be good.

It's tailor made for a short term manager and I'll bet the Great Firefighter himself, Samuel Allardicci, is busy right now in his luxury villa brushing up on his Spanish: "Ramos, traeme un pastel y la salsa!"
I'm not saying he's getting offered it. Not yet anyway. If he did get asked it would be with consultation with the Madrid players. They'll know from those in the game that he's astute tactically for big games. And let's face it, that is all that is required for a team like Barcelona or Madrid. They just need the big game plan because all the others they can breeze through themselves.

For the rest of the season Martinez would be a great fit.

I'm not saying he's getting offered it. Not yet anyway. If he did get asked it would be with consultation with the Madrid players. They'll know from those in the game that he's astute tactically for big games. And let's face it, that is all that is required for a team like Barcelona or Madrid. They just need the big game plan because all the others they can breeze through themselves.

For the rest of the season Martinez would be a great fit.[/QUOTE]

I can completely agree with that last bit. But would Roberto? One thing he's never been short of is belief in his own ability: he must have the skin of a rhinoceros survive what he went through in his last few months here, be sacked by the Carpetbagger, and then have the belief to put in for the Belgium job just a few weeks later. I'm sure that, unlike you and many others on this site, 'El Gaffer' would back himself to succeed at Madrid for much longer than the rest of this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back