Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two 11th place finishes in 3 seasons and going out of the cups at the first hurdle 3 times out of 6 constitutes failure for a club of Everton's stature whatever way you look at it. That's why he was sacked. Time to get over it and move on.

No chance, but you have to admire his consistency and his unique ability to flip flop like no other on here.

Two 11th place finishes in 3 seasons and going out of the cups at the first hurdle 3 times out of 6 constitutes failure for a club of Everton's stature whatever way you look at it. That's why he was sacked. Time to get over it and move on.
The legacy lives on: after RM was sacked the club tried to go back to hoofball and were hammered for it. There was no mileage in that. They had to turn to the football template as laid down by Martinez. We now have a Martinez-type manager back again: one who wont revert to the hoof, one who wont see certain fixtures as unwinnable. Brave football where we get on the ball and aren't afraid of a side pressing. That's the Martinez legacy. He lost the battle and won the war.

He didn't even finish 11th when he was sacked. He was sacked with the club in 13th. Unsworth's final day win got us to 11th.

People even go as far as to forget his spineless act of throwing the kids in against Bournemouth as protection because Goodison was very much against him.

He didn't even finish 11th when he was sacked. He was sacked with the club in 13th. Unsworth's final day win got us to 11th.

People even go as far as to forget his spineless act of throwing the kids in against Bournemouth as protection because Goodison was very much against him.

Ha Ha Ha.

Yeah, "spineless" is the word to use for a manager who goes in and takes responsibility to gel a Belgian team full of egos. He'll also be spinless when or if he does the same at Madrid.

Ha Ha Ha.

Yeah, "spineless" is the word to use for a manager who goes in and takes responsibility to gel a Belgian team full of egos. He'll also be spinless when or if he does the same at Madrid.

Dave, he will be the lackey brought in until the summer until they can a real, top quality manager like Pochettino.

Him being 'Ex-Real Madrid manager' will be his Allardyce 'Ex-Everton manager' tag.

Forgot what was a cataclysmic ending it was as I've erased it from my memory.

I doubt Silva will be continuing El Failure's "legacy", in any way, shape or form.

People make the Belgium job out like getting it is some kind of massive achievement and while it is true that the team currently is stocked with talent, it is still not a particularly high paying job and international football in general is not filled with high quality managers. My guess would be the competition for the spot wasn't what people think it would be just by looking at who plays for them. Also this is an FA that couldn't tell that Wilmots was totally wasting the talent until he got beat by Wales in a knockout game.

If you're pointing to his actual performance than I'd still argue he hasn't done much but that is reasonable enough. The idea that because he got the job he has been validated as a quality manager really isn't reasonable.

Dave, he will be the lackey brought in until the summer until they can a real, top quality manager like Pochettino.

Him being 'Ex-Real Madrid manager' will be his Allardyce 'Ex-Everton manager' tag.
Top manager like the trophyless Pochetinno. Ok.

I hope he gets it, and good luck to him if so.

Time does allow for a bit more sentimentality to seep in when making judgements, but I liked him and still like him. Perhaps he was just too ahead of himself with his ideas and quite obviously lost the run of things here, and didn't enjoy anything like the resources bestowed on Koeman.

Of course having Koeman and Allardyce as his immediate successors reflects much the better on him, but I appreciated how he carried himself and how he represented the club.

He is a good coach, and if he gets the job at Madrid, it is an accolade for however long or short his stay is. That couldn't be taken off his CV. I'm not sure that being appointed Real manager is an endorsement of ability in itself, as they can have a tendency to make some left-field appointments but they have the luxury of being able to get away with it and start over.

No doubt it would be a test of his abilities with an aging squad at the end of an era but if he got through the season then what a marvellous opportunity to rebuild that squad, albeit with much interference from above.

The best of luck to him.

I'd definitely go there if I was Martinez.

With his positivism and unique ability to blow smoke up the backsides of all those massive egos, plus the normal 'new manager boost' syndrome , he's certain to be an improvement on the previous charlatan. He might even help create some fantastic moments for the supporters in the CL.

At the end of the season he could step aside for whoever Real really want to take over with his reputation unblemished, his pay packet bloated, Real Madrid on his CV and walk into another better paid job than he's on with Belgium.

However, to repeat an earlier post, why would Madrid appoint someone on the basis of what he's done in international football when the previous one, who had an even better record in his 20 games with Spain than Roberto has with Belgium, was such a disaster? Are they really that thick?

Top manager like the trophyless Pochetinno. Ok.

I must be coming down with something for the 2nd time in two days I find myself in agreement with @davek

Pochettino unproven for me - shows some good qualities but should be winning trophies with that Spurs squad, even if its just the League Cup.

Without doubt, he's best
I must be coming down with something for the 2nd time in two days I find myself in agreement with @davek

Pochettino unproven for me - shows some good qualities but should be winning trophies with that Spurs squad, even if its just the League Cup.

It's the level of consistency against a very limited budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back