Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martinez's CV speaks for itself..

I'd agree with that.

Swansea - inherited a good side which had been promoted and won a couple of trophies and had a rare trip to Wembley, an incredible memory for their fans. Roberto did well there, got them promoted, but jumped ship after promising he wouldn't.

Wigan - inherited a side which had finished a creditable 14th and record breaking 11th under the previous incumbent, Steve Bruce. Famously won the FA Cup, beating 3rd Division Bournemouth, non-league Macclesfield, Huddersfield, us and Millwall before toppling Man City with al ate goal from a corner. Skilfully steered Wigan into the Championship and near oblivion, then announced he 'wasn't the right man to bring them back up' before meeting with Kenwright. I'll never forget the startled look on Roberto's face when Bill revealed that Martinez had promised to get Everton into the Champions League!

No need to go over what he did and didn't do before he was chased out of Goodison.

After such a calamitous ending to his Everton career, when most people would take a little time to reflect on their mistakes, Roberto had no hesitation about applying for the Belgium job, taking charge of the best bunch of players in their history, including some of the finest players in World football. Reached the Semi-Finals, like Southgate, about par for such a squad. Recorded one good win against Brazil but was hopelessly outwitted by Deschamps in the semi.

A mediocre CV, at best.

Fees gone astronomically upwards do why even bring that into it?

You are surely fishing here though with regards to Kanchelskis, either that or your mind state is in need of some serious help.
The fee wasn't mentioned. We received 3x the fee paid for Lukaku. We broke even with Kanchelskis.

Your like a Brexiteer or a religious fundamentalist there is absolutely no point in debating with you facts have no relevance in your world . I pulled you up on your backing for trump ages ago you deflect ,

Ha Ha Ha.

WTF?!

You've lost it.

@Eggs quotes and pulls you up about saying you’ll admit brands has done well if the signings get fit and start to perform you switch horses to be going on about selling players ,

Sorry, it was ALWAYS the outgoings that was the problem with Brands for me. I'm entirely consistent on that. The incomings I said were a problem in the sense that three of them were bought as injured players and two were missing HUGE CHUNKS of the season before they finally took to the pitch. AGAIN, entirley conssistent.

Listen people make mistakes I know I do , people like players or individuals more than others and that’s fine . To dance on the head of a pin to avoid saying you’re wrong or to continue pursuing a point in some pursuit of perceived glory doesn’t seem completely normal I’ll be honest .

But Im not wrong on Martinez, I'm right. I've underlined how he failed to protect injured players and rushed them back too soon; I concede that he didn't attend to the defensive side of the game; I concede that he should have been much strionger in controlling the group of players he had....BUT I also underline what good work he did here getting us to play football on the deck again and for showing bravery against teams that have walked all over us for years; I rightly flag up the record breaking season in the PL he had with us points/wins wise; and I am spot on in underling that both before and after us he has a very good CV.

Of course, only the one side of my assessment of Matinez is taken on board and registered. But thats not my fault - it's YOURS and others.

So again, if you have a cogent argument to put forward I'll address it. Snide comments will be handed the derision they deserve: as the utterances of a small coterie of bitter fools with zero ability to debate the issue.

Ha Ha Ha.

WTF?!

You've lost it.

It’s off topic but deals with the point ,you didn’t say you wanted trump to win ? Because you deffo Did

Can't quote because it's a closed thread

"I'd actually like Trump to win. He's a narcissist, a racist and an all-round scumbag...but so is Clinton and all the rest of them. And just maybe it'd cool down relations with Russia, and that's what is needed."

At the end of the day I liked martinez and really enjoyed his first season here , he lost his way and we slipped. I argued in the pub with lads and probably gave him Longer and more chances than many in my company were prepared to but ultimately by the end it was painful and the failure to learn from mistakes was infuriating.

It’s off topic but deals with the point ,you didn’t say you wanted trump to win ? Because you deffo Did
That's a comparison of two megalomaniacs not an endorsement. The point being made was that the so called progressive candidate was about as progressive as "a racist, a narcissist and an all round scumbag".

Any more smoking guns for me?

*sigh*

That's a comparison of two meglaomaniscs not an endorsement. The point being made was that the so called progressive candidate was about as progrerssive as "a racist, a narcissist and an all round scumbag".

Anymore smoking guns for me?

*sigh*

Sorry so In davek speak I’d like him to win doesn’t mean you’d like him to win ? that’s what i mean just say “yeah got that wrong” like when eggs pulled you up or whenever anybody else does but no it’s time to dance on the head of a pin or change the parameters.

Nah he took us backwards mate. One season does not make a summer.
His football took us out of the Dark Ages. If we fell away we fell away to a position where the vast majority felt that they wanted shut of Martinez but not a return to the anti-football period. They wanted a Martinez who can organise a defence...which is why there's a lot of hope surrounding this Silva appointment.

Sorry so In davek speak I’d like him to win doesn’t mean you’d like him to win ? that’s what i mean just say “yeah got that wrong” like when eggs pulled you up or whenever anybody else does but no it’s time to dance on the head of a pin or change the parameters.
Only a divvy didn't realise what was being said. You're not a divvy so dont act like one.

The fee wasn't mentioned. We received 3x the fee paid for Lukaku. We broke even with Kanchelskis.

Scored much more, fetched a fee well in excess of Kanchelskis. The debate was over 'best signing' not aesthetics....though I;m not sure I;d say Kanchelskis was that much more than his pace. He could play, but I wouldn't have him up there in the talent stakes of Everton;s past players.

A fee - relating to the fee - was mentioned - by you as a debating point! Look with your own eyes man.

You write that much on here that you actually end up tripping yourself up constantly.

Have a kit kat, a lie down and a bit of a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back