Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well it's clear from all that you are an embittered man who cant handle the FACT that we played our best football since the 80s and got our best results since the 80s under Martinez when he first arrived. There's no hiding away from the other FACT that we fell away to mediocrity after that and it wouldn't good enough - alleviated only by some heartening domestic and European cup runs.

You should try and have a go at that reasoned and balanced evaluation and then you wouldn't come across as someone foaming from the mouth and incapable of making a fair assessment.

No we are not. Royle won the FA Cup. Moyes's league results were superior. I count results not some kind of inept management and tactics.

Mate you have zero credibility to say other posters shall have a reasoned and balanced evaluation because you don't do the same. You go and have a dig at Koeman everyday while praising a proven fraud, turning black to white.

Anyway back on topic.

Remember when that utter charlatan had the audacity to call out evertonians, the people who pay his wage. What a vile person

I remember him re-opening the School of Science and everyone celebrating that with banners and songs - and singing about his brown shoes.

I doubt we'll see that school have the padlocks come off it any time soon. The school next door is open and thriving though: the School of Schmience and Applied Hoofball. That's got a record intake I hear.

If it was 1 in 3 it'd be 63 games if it was 1 in 4 it'd be 84 games. For my money 75 is closer to 84 than it is 63.
giphy.gif

No we are not. Royle won the FA Cup. Moyes's league results were superior. I count results not some kind of inept management and tactics.

Mate you have zero credibility to say other posters shall have a reasoned and balanced evaluation because you don't do the same. You go and have a dig at Koeman everyday while praising a proven fraud, turning black to white.
The Royle cup win is irrelevant (and cancelled out anyway by RMs own win with a pub team) as we are talkig about PL season records, and Moyes did NOT have a better league season record.

The Royle cup win is irrelevant (and cancelled out anyway by RMs own win with a pub team) as we are talkig about PL season records, and Moyes did NOT have a better league season record.

What had it got to do with Everton? He did that with Wigan. In the same vein, his cup win was cancelled out because he relegated Wigan.

This is laughable. Moyes got 4th. Ask other Evertonians which one they prefer. 4th or 5th?

What had it got to do with Everton? He did that with Wigan. In the same vein, his cup win was cancelled out because he relegated Wigan.

This is laughable. Moyes got 4th. Ask other Evertonians which one they prefer. 4th or 5th?
What did 4th get us? Humiliated in Europe because we had a dinosaur manager who couldn't handle it.

Btw, we won that 4th place with one of the lowest points total ever accumulated to get 4th...and we scored about 45 goals that season. Unreal bit of flukery.

I remember he gave us our best ever PL season...I also remember your hero Moyes handing us a 39 point season that had us jumping up and down on the trapdoor to the Championship...the worst points total in the last 37 years....and the previous lowest one was under the two points for a win system. Lol.

I admire your strength of conviction I have to say...

In my opinion his first season was so successful was down to Martinez. He found a system that seemed to work, the players bought into it and the team played with a fantastic pace and quality. His positivity and praise of the players as a breath of fresh air. Also, the players really seemed to be enjoying their football. It had been years since things had clicked so effectively at Everton.

Unfortunately, using confidence and praise as a motivational driver is only great when things are going well. When teams started to figure out how to play against us he couldn't seem to modify his system to keep our noses in front, be it mid game or between matches. This was particularly evident at key games, especially the 3-0 at Anfield. We looked lost and were constantly getting picked off, the players were in desperate need of a strategy but he refused to change the set up. I think once the players started to have doubts his number was up.

In terms of skills needed for management... Tactics, motivation and transfers, he is great at only one of those things. He was regularly out of his depth tactics wise. The way we played in the man city and Kiev away games it is clear we had no effective game plan. His transfer record seems so wasteful compared to the tight pursestrings approach of Moyes. Although moyes made some poor buys, he generally got it right on the big buys.

Overall I'm thankful for the first season but we should've got rid sooner in my opinion.

I think he'll do ok as an international manager though...

I admire your strength of conviction I have to say...

In my opinion his first season was so successful was down to Martinez. He found a system that seemed to work, the players bought into it and the team played with a fantastic pace and quality. His positivity and praise of the players as a breath of fresh air. Also, the players really seemed to be enjoying their football. It had been years since things had clicked so effectively at Everton.

Unfortunately, using confidence and praise as a motivational driver is only great when things are going well. When teams started to figure out how to play against us he couldn't seem to modify his system to keep our noses in front, be it mid game or between matches. This was particularly evident at key games, especially the 3-0 at Anfield. We looked lost and were constantly getting picked off, the players were in desperate need of a strategy but he refused to change the set up. I think once the players started to have doubts his number was up.

In terms of skills needed for management... Tactics, motivation and transfers, he is great at only one of those things. He was regularly out of his depth tactics wise. The way we played in the man city and Kiev away games it is clear we had no effective game plan. His transfer record seems so wasteful compared to the tight pursestrings approach of Moyes. Although moyes made some poor buys, he generally got it right on the big buys.

Overall I'm thankful for the first season but we should've got rid sooner in my opinion.

I think he'll do ok as an international manager though...
Wouldn't disagree with much of that. I'd take issue with the transfer policy which has been greatly skewed perception wise by the Niasse affair for most. The acid test on success and failure transfer policy is how much you spent and what you bring back in and can realistically count on bringing back in. His purchase and the probable sale price of Lukaku alone would almost balance matters out and then the others he bought would place us well in the black...and if you add in sales of players like Stones and potentially Barkley (players he fast-tracked through and who earned international recognition through it and piled on value) then there's no question the work he did here budget wise was a success.

Wouldn't disagree with much of that. I'd take issue with the transfer policy which has been greatly skewed perception wise by the Niasse affair for most. The acid test on success and failure transfer policy is how much you spent and what you bring back in and can realistically count on bringing back in. His purchase and the probable sale price of Lukaku alone would almost balance matters out and then the others he bought would place us well in the black...and if you add in sales of players like Stones and potentially Barkley (players he fast-tracked through and who earned international recognition through it and piled on value) then there's no question the work he did here budget wise was a success.

True, but if you take internal promotions out of the equations (not really transfers) the record of finding and purchasing talent from elsewhere is not great you have to admit. Fair enough this is more of a failing for an entire team of people, not just RM, but ultimately it comes under his remit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back