Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come back in 2.5 years.

:cheers::coffee::cheers::coffee:

I doubt it'll be any more fulsome than that, tbh.

I'll have a stab:

"In that first season we all believed 7th was attainable, and so it proved. The following season saw Ronald again win us the best of the rest trophy (one we will display at the new Stonebridge Cross Stadium when it is completed next season). The 2018/19 season saw us reach round three of both domestic cup's and secure a place in the top 8. We thank Ronald for his sterling service and wish him the best of luck in his new job at MK Dons."

I doubt it'll be any more fulsome than that, tbh.

I'll have a stab:

"In that first season we all believed 7th was attainable, and so it proved. The following season saw Ronald again win us the best of the rest trophy (one we will display at the new Stonebridge Cross Stadium when it is completed next season). The 2018/19 season saw us reach round three of both domestic cup's and secure a place in the top 8. We thank Ronald for his sterling service and wish him the best of luck in his new job at MK Dons."

Reported for off topic.

Hold on, I didnt say it was as bad!

Yes Moyes did all you said, and we should be thankful to him for that (maybe not to the extent of having a leaving party for him after he jibbed us off for someone else like..)

Martinez did do stuff of note for us too. He brought in the best striker we have had for years, brought in some young lads with massive potential like Holgate and Galloway and brought Howard Kendall back into the fold which with how things ended up I will always be grateful to him for that and will probably defend him more than I should. he also made us realise that we can win at the likes of Old Trafford instead of rolling over every season (still didnt nail the Anfield issue but who does?).

He was rightfully sacked as the players stopped playing for him (which i will never fully forgive either...) but its not like he didnt do anything right. I reckon he will do well for Belgium too as I reckon he will be suited to international management where you really get by on believing in what you can do rather than anything deep and meaningful tactics wise.
Pretty much this. A lot of the Martinez hate here stems from a reaction to Davek's "koppite on a wind-up" routine

Pretty much this. A lot of the Martinez hate here stems from a reaction to Davek's "koppite on a wind-up" routine

My hate stems from having to go to Goodison week in, week out and watch the most turgid football on the planet only to get beat by utter no marks.

I despise the man more than its humanly possible and wish a life of misery on him.

Took us backwards from a points tally of 63 points and 6th in ginger's last season to 72 points and 5th.

Koeman wont get near Moyes' tally never mind Martinez's.
Thats not how he left us. Moyes improved us in his time here, Martinez made us poorer. We were bottom half twice in a row. One record Moyes was definitely not going to match.
We started with a 6th placed team and Martinez showed with a little luck what could be achieved with it... Then he destroyed it so year... took it backwards. Because 6th to 6th to 11th is not going forwards.

Thats not how he left us. Moyes improved us in his time here, Martinez made us poorer. We were bottom half twice in a row. One record Moyes was definitely not going to match.
We started with a 6th placed team and Martinez showed with a little luck what could be achieved with it... Then he destroyed it so year... took it backwards. Because 6th to 6th to 11th is not going forwards.

Oh right, so it was luck?

Martinez did a cracking job in the first season, hes subs were spot on, he set us out right to beat a lot of teams and we did well. No idea why people cant just accept that.

After that he stopped doing the things which made us good that season which was a bit odd, but how it ended up with him doesnt take away the fact that his first season was really good for us (relatively speaking, still won bugger all).

I cannot think of another manager that's took one team from 11th to 18th, and another from 5th to 13th. He's 100% the worst ever in the PL.

Oh right, so it was luck?

Martinez did a cracking job in the first season, hes subs were spot on, he set us out right to beat a lot of teams and we did well. No idea why people cant just accept that.

After that he stopped doing the things which made us good that season which was a bit odd, but how it ended up with him doesnt take away the fact that his first season was really good for us (relatively speaking, still won bugger all).
He did, but we had loads of lucky games too, more than I had even seen and nothing wrong with that imo, tactically not much changed from the first season, except our luck went the other way, Martinez's personnel continued to come in and our pre-season was properly Martinezed.

First season was great results wise, would take an fool not to agree, but likewise would take a blinkered man not to have seen the amount of luck we had too, sadly, as the team became more and more his, it became worse and worse, exacerbated further by the thought we could build on 5th and do as superbly as Moyes did by achieving 4th or maybe even better. (i'll be honest... I put that last bit in purely for Dave :) )

I am not saying he didn't do well, but the hybrid of Moyes/Martinez was a sound mixture of well drilled defence and attacking prowess (on occasion). The final Martinez team could do neither.

He did, but we had loads of lucky games too, more than I had even seen and nothing wrong with that imo, tactically not much changed from the first season, except our luck went the other way, Martinez's personnel continued to come in and our pre-season was properly Martinezed.

First season was great results wise, would take an fool not to agree, but likewise would take a blinkered man not to have seen the amount of luck we had too, sadly, as the team became more and more his, it became worse and worse, exacerbated further by the thought we could build on 5th and do as superbly as Moyes did by achieving 4th or maybe even better. (i'll be honest... I put that last bit in purely for Dave :) )

I am not saying he didn't do well, but the hybrid of Moyes/Martinez was a sound mixture of well drilled defence and attacking prowess (on occasion). The final Martinez team could do neither.

I keep saying that Moyes defence was deeply flawed to be fair and I stand by that. they would always let you down when it mattered most but yeah I get what you mean.

No point getting fourth if you are going to crash out in the CL qualifiers and then get humilated by the third best team in Bucharest in the Europa Qualifiers though which sums us up in a nutshell really!

Football is weird though. I think its more than fair to say Moyes is/was a better manager than Martinez, however Martinez will always be more than likely to win something. Moyes will win nothing in his career I reckon, its just the way he is (Charity Shield does not count..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back