Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe, and there was no way Martinez would no how well Van Dijk would adapt. Its like bemoaning the fact we didn't sign Manolas all them years ago, who's to say he would've turned out like he is now and not another Shane Duffy. (ie. not a superstar nothing against Duffy).

I would argue Duffy has gone on to show that we were wrong to sell him

Him and Stones together as centre back pairing would have been exciting stuff in my opinion

Gana and Gomes have shown in midfield that a contrast of styles in a partnership can be a good thing

But that still treats footballers like its a shop. Maybe he didn't have an opportunity to pursue him? Maybe he would not have wanted to come here, maybe these questions had been asked, maybe Celtic didn't want to deal with us and yeah maybe he was never in the equation, who knows?

Anyway Van Dijk is a bellend, he still would have wanted to go to the other lot and would have screwed us over instead of Southampton to do so so in truth we owe a debt of gratitude to Mr Martinez for not subjecting us to that.

What a man.

He wouldn't have gone to Liverpool if he'd been with us

It would have been Chelsea or City

Of that I'm sure

Not because he's a decent bloke who wouldn't want to upset us, but because the club simply wouldn't have countenanced it

Him and Stones together as centre back pairing would have been exciting stuff in my opinion

Gana and Gomes have shown in midfield that a contrast of styles in a partnership can be a good thing
I think he's ok personally, a perfectly functional mid table central defender. Brighton is his level imo. John Stones, on the other hand, is now showing the defender he can be with City and England, just needs to cut out some of his lapses and he is right up there.

He wouldn't have gone to Liverpool if he'd been with us

It would have been Chelsea or City

Of that I'm sure

Not because he's a decent bloke who wouldn't want to upset us, but because the club simply wouldn't have countenanced it

Lets face it he probably would have gone back to Celtic after him playing a handful of games and us denouncing him as rubbish.

Duffy is a solid enough defender. Would have been a fine squad option I guess. He got some awful injuries with us which didn't help his development.

Stones and Duffy would be the most ill suited centre half pairing in the league lol

I don't think Duffy ever gets enough game time here to become the player he is now. It's the same as people saying Chelsea shouldn't have sold Salah. He doesn't get the games at Chelsea to become who he is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back