Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the worst football played by this club since Walter Smith's time when Martinez manages us. As evidence:

Everton 0 WBA 0 Aug.24th 2013
Everton 0 Spurs 0 Nov 3rd 2013
RS 4 Everton 0 Jan 28th 2014
Arsenal 4 Everton 1 March 8th 2014
Everton 2 Crystal P 3 April 16th 2014
Southampton 2 Everton 0 April 26th 2014
Too many to mention in the subsequent seasons, but these low points stand out even in those turgid months:
Losing 3 - 0 to Swansea in the League Cup; consecutive losses to Southampton, Stoke, Newcastle, and Hull; defeats to Sunderland and Spurs in our last two home games. Then losing 3 - 0 at home to Man U; losing at home to Swansea, West Brom, West Ham, another 4 - 0 drubbing V the RS; then utter surrenders V Leicester and Sam Allardyce's Sunderland.

There were some good games, true, but there was more dull, losing football than I'd seen for years.

zzPROP140412-032-Sunderland_Everton.jpg

[/QUOTE]

I saw the worst football played by this club since Walter Smith's time when Martinez manages us. As evidence:

Too many to mention in the subsequent seasons, but these low points stand out even in those turgid months:
Losing 3 - 0 to Swansea in the League Cup; consecutive losses to Southampton, Stoke, Newcastle, and Hull; defeats to Sunderland and Spurs in our last two home games. Then losing 3 - 0 at home to Man U; losing at home to Swansea, West Brom, West Ham, another 4 - 0 drubbing V the RS; then utter surrenders V Leicester and Sam Allardyce's Sunderland.

There were some good games, true, but there was more dull, losing football than I'd seen for years.

Selective.

[/QUOTE]
closed shortly afterwards following an Ofsted inspection

[/QUOTE]

BOLLOCKS!

[/QUOTE]

I was at that Arsenal game, 4-1 flattered them

We were chasing the game following cheat Arteta's penalty and that allowed them to catch us on the counter

And yeah, the West Brom game in 2013 was awful, but that was one of our first League matches with him as manager so we were still getting to grips with things

13/14 was an overall good season and he deserves credit for that. Seems like picking nits to be honest when you mention games from that season

Last edited:

Of course what a lot of Martinez fans fail to mention is that we actually played some very nice stuff in 12/13 as well, so Martinez didn't exactly reinvent the wheel in 13/14, he just kept things going in that direction

The 3-1 over Saints at Goodison with some fantastic goals, smacking Swansea by three goals at their gaff, bossing Man United at Goodison with Fellaini unplayable, beating Spurs with a last minute Jelavic winner, sweeping Villa aside at Villa Park 1-3, Coming from behind in the Derby at Goodison in a game we would have won if Suarez hadn't gone stamp crazy, coming down from 1-3 to draw 3-3 with Aston Villa at Goodison in a crazy game, Beating Bolton in the snow in a classic FA Cup tie and beating City 2-0 at Goodison whilst playing a large chunk of the game with ten men to officially put them out of the Title race

We didn't win anything in 12/13 and too many draws stopped us from hitting the European places, but in general it wasn't a bad season as far as quality of football went. I just wish we hadn't bottled that Quarter Final as I reckon we would have won the Cup. We were the only difficult team Wigan had to play in that whole Cup campaign and we just rolled over for them (Man City were in absolute dissarrary when they played them in the Final and had just sacked Mancini by that morning. They were there for the taking)

Of course what a lot of Martinez fans fail to mention is that we actually played some very nice stuff in 12/13 as well, so Martinez didn't exactly reinvent the wheel in 13/14, he just kept things going in that direction

The 3-1 over Saints at Goodison with some fantastic goals, smacking Swansea by three goals at their gaff, bossing Man United at Goodison with Fellaini unplayable, beating Spurs with a last minute Jelavic winner, sweeping Villa aside at Villa Park 1-3, Coming from behind in the Derby at Goodison in a game we would have won if Suarez hadn't gone stamp crazy, coming down from 1-3 to draw 3-3 with Aston Villa at Goodison in a crazy game, Beating Bolton in the snow in a classic FA Cup tie and beating City 2-0 at Goodison whilst playing a large chunk of the game with ten men to officially put them out of the Title race

We didn't win anything in 12/13 and too many draws stopped us from hitting the European places, but in general it wasn't a bad season as far as quality of football went. I just wish we hadn't bottled that Quarter Final as I reckon we would have won the Cup. We were the only difficult team Wigan had to play in that whole Cup campaign and we just rolled over for them (Man City were in absolute dissarrary when they played them in the Final and had just sacked Mancini by that morning. They were there for the taking)

You're right that we did play some very good football in the later Moyes era. We managed to finish above the RS two seasons in a row also. Just wish he'd had a little bit more money to spend, been slightly better at picking strikers and had less of a knives to gunfights attitude. Who knows where we could have ended up?

I remember a particular game at home to Newcastle. We drew 2-2 but there was some sublime football played. Think we had two goals disallowed also.

Whatever their many faults, Moyes and Martinez were far better fits for Everton than the dreadful Koeman. Hopefully Silva can surpass them all. I'm reasonably optimistic on this.

You're right that we did play some very good football in the later Moyes era. We managed to finish above the RS two seasons in a row also. Just wish he'd had a little bit more money to spend, been slightly better at picking strikers and had less of a knives to gunfights attitude. Who knows where we could have ended up?

I remember a particular game at home to Newcastle. We drew 2-2 but there was some sublime football played. Think we had two goals disallowed also.

Yes that Newcastle game was an absolute robbery

I couldn't get to that one but I remember being on telly. It was the "He Ain't Heavy" game after the Hillsborough verdict I believe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back