Martinez: The Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at the game sunday and watching it from the stands was really frustrating. Sure Howard made (another) 2 clangers but the problems run a lot deeper than that. The amount of times Naismith dropped inside taking the space from first Barkley and then Atsu was ridiculous. This meant the middle was crowded out and we had no width down the left. They kept the guy Coleman was marking in a very advanced position so that outlet was nullified. In fairness to lukaku I counted 11 times that he made a great run off the shoulder of either of the snail slow centre halfs that Leicester had but every time the player in possession jibbed the pass and opted for a sideways/backwards pass instead.

Huge problems all over the park and it stems from the manager. When he allows the players to bit more direct (arsenal away last season and at home this yr, Thursday v young boys) we look so much better but hey, we won the possession match so it's all ok.

2013/14.

Instant feel good factor back at Goodison. 'Boss' moments everywhere. Record Premier League points tally. For the first time in a long time, genuine hope and ambition that we had a manager who could bring some good times to the club - a trophy.

2014/15.

Domestically, a complete write off. Where has it all gone wrong?

Our pre-season effort was pathetic.
Second season syndrome?
Players unable to cope with the Europa League?
Players who played for a transfer/deal last season losing that motivation this season?
No wingers, not adequately replacing Pienaar/Deulofeu?,
Being found out?
Goodison pitch going to the dogs...

The excuses are far and wide.

We've been piss poor this season. Martinez has infuriated even the most patient of fans. Considering the squad, it's a fair argument to suggest we've been worse than any season under Moyes. In fact, points wise, we're comparable to Walter Smith...

BUT, the reality is... we won't get relegated, and a 5 year deal in June tells you he isn't going anywhere just yet.

He'll have another summer. He deserves it based on his first season.

He'll start a new season, having learnt more about Everton this season than ever before. He'll start that season (provided we don't win the Europa...) without any European commitments.

Review the manager in December...

Until then, do we really need to entertain the tedious, premature sacking the manager debate?...
And do we really need the negativity either? There's only a few months left lets get behind the team.

I can't be rational towards him if he persists with Tim Howard in goal and either Barkley or Naismith out wide.

Fully agreed that the Martinez in or out polls cement our place as B.A.W.K. but me and him arent talking right now.

Pre season coming up this summer will be under the microscope more than ever before. We also are going to lose a name or two I reckon. The players won't be as patient as the fans.

That apart I reckon he can still turn it around.
I think it's a given Mirallas will go and given his age and injury record I'm ok with that.

I think it's a given Mirallas will go and given his age and injury record I'm ok with that.
Still be disappointed to see him go. Yes he is injury prone, yes he is inconsistent, but on his day he is a threat and a match winner. Sadly there are not enough match winners in our squad. But for whatever reason his heart hasn't been in it this season. But there again that accusation could be levelled at a number of players.

That's what it is in my eyes. Just play 2 wingers, can't think of any good team who doesn't play 2 wide players out wide.
Not just that but we need players with more quality than Naismith and McGeady. If we're going to play tika taka and lets be honest the change in tactics is temporary because ultimately Roberto will either succeed in that or leave so we'll need players especially in those positions that aren't wasteful on the ball.

With wasteful players in those positions and the two fullbacks pushed up it just leaves us open to the counter.

Which is one of the reasons I don't mind Mirallas leaving.

Until then, do we really need to entertain the tedious, premature sacking the manager debate?...

Is traffic up or down over this time last year? Are there most posts on the boards now v. last year? (Maybe post count is a more reliable metric? ... understood if you don't want to reveal and may be other factors involved muddying the waters.)

Personally I am visiting here way less because of all the sacking debate but I imagine a lot of people post more not less when they get wound up by results etc. Very curious if a season like this results in more visits/posts or less. If I had to guess I think maybe I'm in the minority and people come here more ... but really not sure.

Still be disappointed to see him go. Yes he is injury prone, yes he is inconsistent, but on his day he is a threat and a match winner. Sadly there are not enough match winners in our squad. But for whatever reason his heart hasn't been in it this season. But there again that accusation could be levelled at a number of players.
He wants to go. He was great for us and I wish him well but the time might be right for all concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back