Martinez: The Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, can't understand why (especially yesterday) he can't play 2 wingers against a team who were playing five at the back and were happy most of the time sitting back. The only problem I see is to play with two wide men Naismith would have to be benched, and then Barkley can play behind Lukaku, IMO though, it seems like Naismith's is the first name on the team sheet for Martinez.
He would drop Barkley before Naismith and given the work rate of Barkley could you blame him?

It's the reason I believe we've been playing 1 winger.

I think the OP's intention was to draw a line under the 'tedious' debate about Martinez's position.

I dont think it was intended to carry the debate on within this thread.

Mirallas and Coleman probably

I can't see Barkley going until after the 2016 Euro's

McCarthy is a Martinez Guy, so he will likely be more loyal than most
The way Barkley's playing who would buy him. Good teams buy star players not up and coming players that look like they might be a flash in the pan. Same goes for Rom.

I agree with 99% of what the OP wrote, apart from this bit:

BUT, the reality is... we won't get relegated

It's late February, and we have the same number of points (28) after 26 games, that we did at the same stage in 1993/1994 AND 1997/1988, both seasons when we very nearly did go down.

I'm not saying we will get relegated, but the blase attitude that is prevalent amongst some Evertonians that we won't isn't helping anyone.

Dare I say, the players read/hear this ('You're too good to go down') and start believing it, to the detriment of their form, resulting in a lack of urgency and mettle, and ending up with us drawing games at home to the bottom team.

Personally I think part of our problem is also that the manager is too positive, too nice, and too soft. I don't get the impression he is capable of kicking any of them up the arse. He's loyal to a fault, players get picked based on being favourites rather than form (Howard, Barry). Everyone is a 'fantastic player' - I get the idea of boosting everyone's confidence, but sometimes this leads to players thinking they are much better than they are, resulting in delusion.

We are not too good to go down, and you can't say with certainty in late February that we won't - not with our current points total and woeful home Premier League form.

Last edited:
I don't think for one minute we will go down, but that is not because we are too good, it is because there are too many teams worse than we are. What is really annoying me is that somehow our expectations have been managed in such a way that not being relegated is equated with success. Heads should roll for the situation we find ourselves in. At the start of the season we aimed for top four now we seem content with being top of the bottom four.

He took over a Everton team that was hard to beat 2nd season down the line he stamped his on authority on the team and has now turned us into Wigan mark 2 , nice on the eye if you like 15 passes that end up where they started from and commical defending
his job is safe this is Everton

Is traffic up or down over this time last year? Are there most posts on the boards now v. last year? (Maybe post count is a more reliable metric? ... understood if you don't want to reveal and may be other factors involved muddying the waters.)

Personally I am visiting here way less because of all the sacking debate
but I imagine a lot of people post more not less when they get wound up by results etc. Very curious if a season like this results in more visits/posts or less. If I had to guess I think maybe I'm in the minority and people come here more ... but really not sure.

You've been missed, man.

Though, tbf, you've been banging your head against the brick wall of manager haters like me as long as you've been here so I get why you're bored of it.

I agree with 99% of what the OP wrote, apart from this bit:

It's late February, and we have the same number of points (28) after 26 games, that we did at the same stage in 1993/1994 AND 1997/1988, both seasons when we very nearly did go down.

I'm not saying we will get relegated, but the blase attitude that is prevalent amongst some Evertonians that we won't isn't helping anyone.

Dare I say, the players read/hear this ('You're too good to go down') and start believing it, to the detriment of their form, resulting in a lack of urgency and mettle, and ending up with us drawing games at home to the bottom team.

Personally I think part of our problem is also that the manager is too positive, too nice, and too soft. I don't get the impression he is capable of kicking any of them up the arse. He's loyal to a fault, players get picked based on being favourites rather than form (Howard, Barry). Everyone is a 'fantastic player' - I get the idea of boosting everyone's confidence, but sometimes this leads to players thinking they are much better than they are, resulting in delusion.

We are not too good to go down, and you can't say with certainty in late February that we won't.
don't the the crowd booing from the off helps their form either

don't the the crowd booing from the off helps their form either

Nobody boos anyone from the off.

25 minutes of 'sideways pass, sideways pass, sideways pass, backpass, sideways pass, sideways pass, backpass to goalkeeper, big boot up field, Lukaku doesn't win the header, opposition now has possession' results in fans booing.

As does substituting Mo Besic midway through every single game, despite his form being good and being one of our better players.

As does dropping a goalkeeper that kept 3 cleansheets in a row, for a goalkeeper that then conceded 4 goals in his first 3 games back - 3 of the goals his fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back