Martinez: The Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
...And you were reduced to writing to the Pink Echo letters page when you wanted to have a good old gripe.....only for Tommy rotten Smith to grant you a "Fair Tackle" or a "Foul" depending on what he thought of your comment?
Did people actually write in to that page with serious points?
I recall laughing at "The Anfield Iron's" response to a fan lamenting the price of replica shirts.
His pearl of wisdom? "Keep your money in your pocket and help the local economy".
Right up there with me ma telling me as a kid, "if you fall off that wall and break your legs, don't come running to me".

I confess I wrote in once, at a time when John Barnes was coming to the end of his time there, and was truly gash. Declared myself to be a blue, and stated they have short memories and he still had it.. (did I mention he was truly gash at this point?) I layered it in sarcasm with a sprinkling of irony, and it went totally over his head. I only got a "bounce ball" though.

We're going to lose a lot of good players in the summer. It's all his fault too. 11 years of building a good squad will be undone in the spade of 18 months if we keep him until December. Because things won't improve and we'll lose even more players in The January. He's more loyal to his [Poor language removed] favourites than Moyes ever was, what's happened with Tim Howard was nothing short of a disgrace.

We're going to lose a lot of good players in the summer. It's all his fault too. 11 years of building a good squad will be undone in the spade of 18 months if we keep him until December. Because things won't improve and we'll lose even more players in The January. He's more loyal to his [Poor language removed] favourites than Moyes ever was, what's happened with Tim Howard was nothing short of a disgrace.

hehe

drama queens all over the place

Nah. I've always rated Gibson.

Besic is going to develop into a very tidy footballer like but I've seldom seem an Everton player hyped so early on despite being just OK.

The slide tackles, jarg snarl and tattoos have the Lower Gwladys creaming their kecks though.

We'll see what Gibson is like playing against a quick midfield with loads of movement. I really rate Gibson if he was the Gibson of a couple of seasons ago but unfortunately he hasn't looked that player since coming back from injury. 20 mins against the team bottom of the league when the game started to open up and he had a forward line with Atsu instead of Barkley who was actually giving him someone to pass to isn't enough to say he is better than Besic. Plus Besic was decent and it was McCarthy who was really awful against Leicester.

It would have been interesting to see who Roberto would have picked away to Arsenal. If it was to be Gibson I suspect we might be torn to shreds by their passing and movement especially if we don't play park the bus football like we have done against Liverpool and Chelsea.

No one was against the purchase of lukaku in the summer. But many would agree with you, firstly the timing-it was too late and secondly we paid over the odds. Many teams pay over the odds sometimes for players, if they desperately want them. The difference with us is that we put all the eggs in one basket with the purchase of lukaku, which left us with no money to strengthen other areas of the team. Hindsight is a great thing, but for the fee we purchased lukaku for, we could have got bony an tadic.
We couldn't afford the wages of Bony. Lukaku was a good signing. I know he's been wasteful recently but he's also scoring and creating chances plus his touch and holdup play is coming on. For a 21 year old he's doing OK.

12 (or is it 13) goals isn't a bad return and what I've liked recently is that he's taking on more responsibility to actually beat players and create his own chances or ones for others which is what the top strikers do.

We'll see what Gibson is like playing against a quick midfield with loads of movement. I really rate Gibson if he was the Gibson of a couple of seasons ago but unfortunately he hasn't looked that player since coming back from injury. 20 mins against the team bottom of the league when the game started to open up and he had a forward line with Atsu instead of Barkley who was actually giving him someone to pass to isn't enough to say he is better than Besic. Plus Besic was decent and it was McCarthy who was really awful against Leicester.

It would have been interesting to see who Roberto would have picked away to Arsenal. If it was to be Gibson I suspect we might be torn to shreds by their passing and movement especially if we don't play park the bus football like we have done against Liverpool and Chelsea.

What's the alternative? Barry? He's even slower than Gibson and hasn't even got the passing range. If Roberto is smart we'll play compact and use Gibson to play quickly to Lukaku Barkley and Mirallas on the counter. What we'll see instead is a massively open game with Barry Besic and McCarthy making hardwork of passing it around before Arsenal choose when to get into top gear and put a few past Howard (aka get any type of shot on target).

All the same lids wanting him out are the same ones professing that playing McCarthy and Besic together would be akin to the new Holy Trinity or Reid/Bracewell.

A midfield by the way that Leicester buzzed off.

Better than Barry being involved. Besic & McCarthy have played together how many times this season?

Let's not make out Gibson is any kind of proper answer to our woes either.

Immediately reinstating Howard was the most Moyes thing he's ever done. Not a chance in hell Moyes would have stuck with Joel.

More than Moyes ever was.....erm Phil Neville ffs.

Losing players.....dont buy that at all mate,theres a whole army of very good players in most of the European & South American leagus.Give them a chance to double even treble their wages , they would snap yer hands off.....some of them might actually appreciate this club unlike a couple we have at the moment.

We couldn't afford the wages of Bony.

Says who?

I think we could have afforded them last Summer, I've yet to see anything stating that he was demanding obscene wages in order to leave Swansea. And City only became interested towards the end of last year, he had no idea that City were going to come in or him in the January 2015 transfer window back in August 2014. So I don't see how he would have been demanding City style wages, considering a move to City was not on or him back in August?

Did people actually write in to that page with serious points?
I recall laughing at "The Anfield Iron's" response to a fan lamenting the price of replica shirts.
His pearl of wisdom? "Keep your money in your pocket and help the local economy".
Right up there with me ma telling me as a kid, "if you fall off that wall and break your legs, don't come running to me".

I confess I wrote in once, at a time when John Barnes was coming to the end of his time there, and was truly gash. Declared myself to be a blue, and stated they have short memories and he still had it.. (did I mention he was truly gash at this point?) I layered it in sarcasm with a sprinkling of irony, and it went totally over his head. I only got a "bounce ball" though.
I remember someone shopping Mr Smith to the social,for claiming benifits, but he never gave them a bounce ball, the knt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back