Martinez: The Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's an experienced premier league manager, just because he's still young doesn't mean he doesn't have the experience. He shouldn't need a learning curve.

I'm not into all this europa affecting us stuff, it's a myth. And we won't win it, a top European club will come against us and kill the game dead at goodison

We should not be in this position with this squad and that's the annoying part

exactly, we were complete gash even before it started.
not sure why everyone says we wont be relegated, we cant keep clean sheets or win games against terrible teams and home form is terrible. all pointers for relegation.

2013/14.

Instant feel good factor back at Goodison. 'Boss' moments everywhere. Record Premier League points tally. For the first time in a long time, genuine hope and ambition that we had a manager who could bring some good times to the club - a trophy.

2014/15.

Domestically, a complete write off. Where has it all gone wrong?

Our pre-season effort was pathetic.
Second season syndrome?
Players unable to cope with the Europa League?
Players who played for a transfer/deal last season losing that motivation this season?
No wingers, not adequately replacing Pienaar/Deulofeu?,
Being found out?
Goodison pitch going to the dogs...

The excuses are far and wide.

We've been piss poor this season. Martinez has infuriated even the most patient of fans. Considering the squad, it's a fair argument to suggest we've been worse than any season under Moyes. In fact, points wise, we're comparable to Walter Smith...

BUT, the reality is... we won't get relegated, and a 5 year deal in June tells you he isn't going anywhere just yet.

He'll have another summer. He deserves it based on his first season.

He'll start a new season, having learnt more about Everton this season than ever before. He'll start that season (provided we don't win the Europa...) without any European commitments.

Review the manager in December...

Until then, do we really need to entertain the tedious, premature sacking the manager debate?...

Nice post.

I truly believe its a 2nd season syndrome- he came in like a breath of fresh air last season and built an attacking option to go with our defensive solidarity. This season teams have sussed us out to an extent and we actually do better against teams that come up at us rather than just parking the bus as we cant break them down. Teams in Europe havent had to deal with us before and therefore dont really know how to deal with us- hence the drubbings we've given a few very good teams in the Europa.

I think we need to really freshen the squad up come the summer- out with some of the old guard and in with some players that can make a real difference.

I have a good feeling about the Europa though- someone has to win it, why not us.

2013/14.

Instant feel good factor back at Goodison. 'Boss' moments everywhere. Record Premier League points tally. For the first time in a long time, genuine hope and ambition that we had a manager who could bring some good times to the club - a trophy.

2014/15.

Second season syndrome?
Players who played for a transfer/deal last season losing that motivation this season?
Being found out?

We've been piss poor this season. Martinez has infuriated even the most patient of fans. Considering the squad, it's a fair argument to suggest we've been worse than any season under Moyes. In fact, points wise, we're comparable to Walter Smith...

BUT, the reality is... we won't get relegated, and a 5 year deal in June tells you he isn't going anywhere just yet.

He'll start a new season, having learnt more about Everton this season than ever before. He'll start that season (provided we don't win the Europa...) without any European commitments.

Until then, do we really need to entertain the tedious, premature sacking the manager debate?...

Have reported for inappropriate language.

It's not about sacking him now for me - the discussion is about whether he should already be gone (January really for me) or whether he should get a second season come the summer. I don't think many are saying get rid right now, although that may change if we lose our next four straight games, where he'd simply have to walk as we'd right in the relegation mire with just 8 games to play. Sad thing is it's not exactly inconceivable that that would happen.

Nice post.

I truly believe its a 2nd season syndrome- he came in like a breath of fresh air last season and built an attacking option to go with our defensive solidarity. This season teams have sussed us out to an extent and we actually do better against teams that come up at us rather than just parking the bus as we cant break them down. Teams in Europe havent had to deal with us before and therefore dont really know how to deal with us- hence the drubbings we've given a few very good teams in the Europa.

I think we need to really freshen the squad up come the summer- out with some of the old guard and in with some players that can make a real difference.

I have a good feeling about the Europa though- someone has to win it, why not us.

I'm with you on this Mick, I fancy our chances of winning the Europa. Teams have to attack at some point, ten man defences won't win the cup, and this gives us the opportunity to score.......

It's not about sacking him now for me - the discussion is about whether he should already be gone (January really for me) or whether he should get a second season come the summer. I don't think many are saying get rid right now, although that may change if we lose our next four straight games, where he'd simply have to walk as we'd right in the relegation mire with just 8 games to play. Sad thing is it's not exactly inconceivable that that would happen.

If he shows balls and drops Howard he'll be OK.......

He's an experienced premier league manager, just because he's still young doesn't mean he doesn't have the experience. He shouldn't need a learning curve.

I'm not into all this europa affecting us stuff, it's a myth. And we won't win it, a top European club will come against us and kill the game dead at goodison

We should not be in this position with this squad and that's the annoying part

There's a huge difference in managing Everton compared to managing Wigan or Swansea. He's never been anywhere where there's so much expectation and willingness to question his every decision, that alone brings added pressure he's never experienced before and no doubt some self doubt that will effect his confidence and have a knock on effect to his decision making and working. This is the first time in his management career people are really questioning whether or not he's actually got any substance to his character and methods, even when he was manager of Wigan when they were relegated people could still point to his FA cup win as proof he's got something about him. Now he's out on his own and people are taking pot shots for the smallest thing, he's been allowed to go under the radar in the past but now he's been held more accountable to a wider audience.

It's like last season simply never happened for you. It's whether he should get a third season ffs.

2013/14.

2014/15.

Second season syndrome?
Being found out?

I agree he should get another season if we stay up

If we go down though, he has to go

I understand that out of all the teams in the fight, we're in the best position to stay up, but until we're officially safe I'm afraid I can't be as sure of survival as your fine self

I'll let you know if that view has changed at all in a month or so, but right now I'm fully aware that it could happen, even if we're not as close to oblivion as the sides below us

If we wait till December, the reality may be no Mirallas, Barkley, Coleman, McCarthy...then Lukaku asks for transfer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back