Martinez: The Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like a few have said there is a chance we could be in a real relegation scrap this season.
We cannot win or break teams down and as the season goes on confidence will be a worry.
For me to be playing like we are with the best squad we have had in the premier league is shameful.
Manager and players are lost and if it carries on like it is for another 4 weeks or so he won't last till summer.

Difficult to get out of bed when you are wearing silk pyjamas.

5 year deal after one season, a summer spent on punditry jollys, huge great poster on the side of the stadium... not to mention new and long term deals for ageing senior pros
The thing that surprises me is how many bad management decisions he makes.
Like you mention why on earth would he give long contracts to Osman,hibbert and howard.

Jamo was shaking his head loads yesterday, he was utterly fuming.

Martinez gave the lad his break and made sure to get him into Everton as well

I can't see McCarthy leaving Martinez in his time of need

More likely is that if we do sack Martinez before December next season, McCarthy will either go to United/Arsenal/Chelsea in the January window or will go to whatever team Martinez ends up at, ditto for Kone, Robles and Alcaraz

They're his boys at the end of the day and were specifically brought in because he used to manage them, Alcaraz especially

McCarthy is to Martinez what John McGovern was to Brian Clough

in a way hes a victim of his own success as if we weren't in the Europa I have every confidence we would be up there challenging for the European places. We aren't the first team to struggle with Thursdays and Sundays. The fact that we take the Europa seriously and play our best team (the only English club to do so) has also counted against us...especially as he then picks the same team 3 days later. We have Kone sat on the bench dying for some game time being ignored.
Had we flunked Europe and been 6th in the league Martinez wouldn't be getting the same flack as he is now but it would be arguably an inferior season to the one we are suffering now.
Next season with no midweek games we'll be back up there and it will be labelled 2nd season syndrome..but its not, its players not being used to playing so many games syndrome

2013/14.

Instant feel good factor back at Goodison. 'Boss' moments everywhere. Record Premier League points tally. For the first time in a long time, genuine hope and ambition that we had a manager who could bring some good times to the club - a trophy.

2014/15.

Domestically, a complete write off. Where has it all gone wrong?

Our pre-season effort was pathetic.
Second season syndrome?
Players unable to cope with the Europa League?
Players who played for a transfer/deal last season losing that motivation this season?
No wingers, not adequately replacing Pienaar/Deulofeu?,
Being found out?
Goodison pitch going to the dogs...

The excuses are far and wide.

We've been piss poor this season. Martinez has infuriated even the most patient of fans. Considering the squad, it's a fair argument to suggest we've been worse than any season under Moyes. In fact, points wise, we're comparable to Walter Smith...

BUT, the reality is... we won't get relegated, and a 5 year deal in June tells you he isn't going anywhere just yet.

He'll have another summer. He deserves it based on his first season.

He'll start a new season, having learnt more about Everton this season than ever before. He'll start that season (provided we don't win the Europa...) without any European commitments.

Review the manager in December...

Until then, do we really need to entertain the tedious, premature sacking the manager debate?...
Here here.

2013/14.

Instant feel good factor back at Goodison. 'Boss' moments everywhere. Record Premier League points tally. For the first time in a long time, genuine hope and ambition that we had a manager who could bring some good times to the club - a trophy.

2014/15.

Domestically, a complete write off. Where has it all gone wrong?

Our pre-season effort was pathetic.
Second season syndrome?
Players unable to cope with the Europa League?
Players who played for a transfer/deal last season losing that motivation this season?
No wingers, not adequately replacing Pienaar/Deulofeu?,
Being found out?
Goodison pitch going to the dogs...

The excuses are far and wide.

We've been piss poor this season. Martinez has infuriated even the most patient of fans. Considering the squad, it's a fair argument to suggest we've been worse than any season under Moyes. In fact, points wise, we're comparable to Walter Smith...

BUT, the reality is... we won't get relegated, and a 5 year deal in June tells you he isn't going anywhere just yet.

He'll have another summer. He deserves it based on his first season.

He'll start a new season, having learnt more about Everton this season than ever before. He'll start that season (provided we don't win the Europa...) without any European commitments.

Review the manager in December...

Until then, do we really need to entertain the tedious, premature sacking the manager debate?...

No wingers? Think I missed something here, what position does McGeady play and Atsu on loan?

I can't be rational towards him if he persists with Tim Howard in goal and either Barkley or Naismith out wide.

Fully agreed that the Martinez in or out polls cement our place as B.A.W.K. but me and him arent talking right now.

Pre season coming up this summer will be under the microscope more than ever before. We also are going to lose a name or two I reckon. The players won't be as patient as the fans.

That apart I reckon he can still turn it around.

Right oh mate, love you to bits.
images (1).webp

He goes now I'm afraid. This talk of all being ok next season is just blind faith. He's a small club manager who will possibly win a few trophies along the way but get him out of our club today. We will be in the same position or worse next season for the following reasons

Some of our better players leaving in the summer

Better players not wanting to join us

His total refusal to change a style of play which clearly doesn't work any more. This is the same action which ultimately got Wigan relegated.

I appreciate Moyes had a bad season then recovered but he had lesser quality players at the time and the ability to change our style to make us better. This style we are playing now is just a joke. We've been found out and that's not going to change. I am also biased towards wanting him out as I didn't want him in the first place as I warned many people that this was coming when he first took over. I didn't quite think it would go so bad so quickly though. He goes now or he goes if we don't finish in the top 7. It's as simple as that.

Who do we go for if he goes? Not sure but anyone not trying to be mates with the players and seeming to have favorites would be an improvement. At a push I'd stick Reid & Gray in there now to start some backside kicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back