Martinez: The Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hes out of his depth he took a successful rugby side down. Lets not overlook the parallels.
If its a player revolt its his fault.
Its all his system and the system is broken. Move it on or move on. This season is a disgrace all eggs in the EL basket and to hell with everything else. No thanks. Premier League survival (S U R V I V A L ffs!!!) first.
You've spelt Bojangles wrong x

Concerning reality.....what is actually going on at a football club, with the manager,players and owners is something that supporters can only ever speculate about, because the only fact that supporters have is results. Even quality of performance is a matter of opinion. My view? I think that Martinez thinking for the whole season was changed the moment Chelsea put six goals past us at GP. On the same day, we scored three against probably the best defence in the League at the time(thats an opinion, of course). Conceding six at home was just not acceptable in any circumstances,certainly not at Everton were expectation was as high it was. Martinez then immediately had a problem. He had to keep going with his 'philosophy'...the attacking football which had been so successful in his first season, but at the same time he had to try to lay the ghost of Chelseas six goals and ensure that we were more 'careful' at the back. This is the problem he has wrestled with all season, and it has proved difficult to solve for a number of reasons. The Stones injury didn't help, and loss of form post World Cup in Jagielkas case was a factor. It would have helped in Barkleys progress had been as expected, this would have given us attacking opportunities from midfield as well as via Lukaku. He needed some steel in front of the back four, but this made us less of an attacking threat, and we found it difficult to break down teams who packed the final third with defenders...it was only Barry of the midfield 'wall' who could thread a positive pass (Gibson even more than Barry, but if Gibson did not have fitness issues, he would probably still be at United). I think Martinez would like to play with two out and out wingers, but because ,again, of the goals we conceded against Chelsea, and subsquently other teams, he needed a worker like Naismith, not technically the most gifted, but a player he could rely on to track back and always help in defence, as well as contribute in attack. Naismith brought so much to the team, despite his limitations in skill compared with others, that he just had to play. Naismith was going to be all over the pitch, even though he was selected 'on the wing'...when really an out and out winger on both flanks would have helped in an attacking sense. But the spectre of the 6-3 has persisted..and Martinez still needs the insurance of Naismith at the expense of a winger(whatever way the line up is published, its still the same players for the same job). The summer will be fascinating...and depends on whether Martinez can lay the ghost of the Chelsea 6 goals, in his own head, and be brave enough to set out next season with two wingers. To some extent football hasn't changed much since the days of Tommy Ring(see Roy Vernon thread!)...the best way to beat a massed defence is to get behind it, to the by line and cross or pull back to a striker or oncoming attacking midfielder. Martinez has the ability to be a very good manager, he needs to get the right players in the summer, if he does that we will be successful.

I've reposted the above from earlier in this thread because I think that it still applies and that the Martinez Out calls are hardly realistic .I'm certain he'll be at Everton at the end of next season, whatever happens, because this season is simply a part of the building process. The big setback to Martinez' thinking was Chelsea putting six past us early in the season. This changed Martinez mindset...he realised he had be more aware of the defensive side of the game...so he has not 'kept to the same Plan A with no other ideas' ...he has used Plan B, the defensive plan, and to many supporters, defensive means 'dull'. BK will certainly give him time, Martinez has sold his planning and forward thinking to BK and BK will support this plan. One thing that managers at Everton get under BK that they don't get at other clubs is time, and I don't think this is a bad thing.

How can you repost Kopite piss takes?

I cant think of any circumstance that'd see me propagating their Everton-hatred like that.
Behave Dave, do me me a fave

Stop bleeting on, how do you know it was Kopite made, I didn't notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back