2023/24 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
No guarantee of that, no security, and especially so if he refuses a move and doesnt play. Every year, there are plenty of other players who struggle to find a club, let alone a PL club.

Just saying, its what id do, someone for a bit of cover with the all important PL experience in several positions. He might even play himself into a further extension or another move when he's 30.

I'm just saying, why would the club want to give him another contract? He couldn't cut it in the Championship last year, the manager clearly doesn't need him.

If the choice was between Keane and Holgate, I would chose something else.

I'm just saying, why would the club want to give him another contract? He couldn't cut it in the Championship last year, the manager clearly doesn't need him.

If the choice was between Keane and Holgate, I would chose something else.
Because there is a difference between being surpless to 1st choice behind 4 other players (JT, JB, MK, BG) on £70kpw, and back up utility player with experience behind 2 players (JT and JB, assuming Keane is moved on), and also able to fill in at Right back, on £30k per week.

Like i say, im not screaming for him to stay, just a sensible back up if he was to accept new terms for the guarantee of 3 years at a PL club.

Same reasons we gave Coleman and Young new deals.

As for the not cutting it at Championship, id say thats slightly unfair. He was on loan at a new club. Not the same thing at all. We've had plenty of backup loans who have barely played.

Id offer him a new contract
1720550517876.webp

1720550541718.webp

1720550567661.webp

Because there is a difference between being surpless to 1st choice behind 4 other players (JT, JB, MK, BG) on £70kpw, and back up utility player with experience behind 2 players (JT and JB, assuming Keane is moved on), and also able to fill in at Right back, on £30k per week.

Like i say, im not screaming for him to stay, just a sensible back up if he was to accept new terms for the guarantee of 3 years at a PL club.

Same reasons we gave Coleman and Young new deals.

As for the not cutting it at Championship, id say thats slightly unfair. He was on loan at a new club. Not the same thing at all. We've had plenty of backup loans who have barely played.

At Southampton he was given playing time, that's when the problems started. Apart from a 12min period in one game he stank the place out.

Holgy will come back a better and stronger player
He will be a stalwart in the Championship in the future
1st name on teamsheet

Holgy will come back a better and stronger player
He will be a stalwart in the Championship in the future
1st name on teamsheet

I know you're joking, but I'm genuinely interested in knowing how many chances he's had since he's been here? I'm thinking 6/7?

At Southampton he was given playing time, that's when the problems started. Apart from a 12min period in one game he stank the place out.
Thats all well and good, but i dont think he's any worse than Young and Coleman, albeit they are much older and have been much better in the past.

If, and only if, he took a drastic paycut, i would happily have him in the squad. Im not, and have never suggested giving him an improved contract, or even 1 on the same money, and i certainly dont think he would be 1st choice. But finding a cheap, capable backup, with experience, no transfer fee, no signing on fee, on less money, for a 27 year old, is not going to be easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back