2023/24 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember a few years back there were shouts from some supporters to play Mason Holgate in a defensive midfield role. I'm not really going anywhere with this; just reminiscing.
Haha, well he played a few games there and did decently enough iirc. Also if you've got a player who has an errant back pass in him, moving him a bit further away from the goal might be a good idea.

I remember a few years back there were shouts from some supporters to play Mason Holgate in a defensive midfield role. I'm not really going anywhere with this; just reminiscing.
Didn’t Ferguson play him there for a game and he do ok ? Im not suggesting it as a plan just that under that tactical system on that day it sort of worked , im assuming that’s where the shouts originated.

I was massively on that bandwagon.
Then i think Lampard did it in that Burnley away defeat, and it looked terrible.

Really - he used to fill in at right full back lightning fast city away - he kept a very fast winger quiet we drew 1-1 - he was at fault or the goal though :D

…..never saw him as fast even when he broke into the team, certainly no acceleration. Once a player was past him he was always out the game, no powers of recovery. He might have had decent games against speedy sorts but you’d always fancy coming up against him.

Is completely shot as a Prem player. Give Rooney a call at Plymouth and send him down there with us paying 80% of his wages. It’s the best we’ll get.
Loan in another CB.

Haha, well he played a few games there and did decently enough iirc. Also if you've got a player who has an errant back pass in him, moving him a bit further away from the goal might be a good idea.
I was thinking along the same lines, you have a bit more cover if you make a mistake in midfield.

Didn’t Ferguson play him there for a game and he do ok ? Im not suggesting it as a plan just that under that tactical system on that day it sort of worked , im assuming that’s where the shouts originated.
I'm sure he started Holgate as an extra centre-back and then as soon as we kicked off moved him into defensive midfield. A bit of a bluff by Big Dunc.

I was massively on that bandwagon.
Then i think Lampard did it in that Burnley away defeat, and it looked terrible.
I was on board with it myself if I'm honest.

1000017017.webp
remember this!!!

Is completely shot as a Prem player. Give Rooney a call at Plymouth and send him down there with us paying 80% of his wages. It’s the best we’ll get.
Loan in another CB.
That seems very likely tbh.

Think he’s been the victim of some terrible management over the years as much as anything else.

Hope he finds a decent club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back