Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Young players get dug out for these types of mistakes, but to be honest I've lost count of Everton centre backs who struggle to deal with long diagonal high balls and tall target men. Jags and Distin at their peak got regularly undone by straight balls down the middle of the pitch. I would have preferred Koeman to move him to RB and hook Coleman but no reason for Holgate to lose confidence.

...we have really suffered from defending route one passes because our full backs go missing upfield and leave the CBs totally exposed.

All a learning curve so I wont be to concerned. The formation needed to be changed so it was the right move by RK. Back on the horse for him sat and go again.

Completely agree.

We play better footy with the 3-5-2 and Holgate is key to that.

He was getting skinned yesterday and it showed why he isn't yet ready to play in a two in the PL - just lacks that extra bit of physicality needed.

Lookman and Holgate start for me on Saturday.

The question for me is who does Gueye replace...

Completely agree.

We play better footy with the 3-5-2 and Holgate is key to that.

He was getting skinned yesterday and it showed why he isn't yet ready to play in a two in the PL - just lacks that extra bit of physicality needed.

Lookman and Holgate start for me on Saturday.

The question for me is who does Gueye replace...
agree too pal. Interesting to see what he does. Davies further forward instead of Ross. Ross was sloppy last night but change in formation didn't help him second half. He has been top notch the last month and will have games like last night. What RK gets the big money for

He struggled yesterday but as others have said its a learning curve.

I have no problem with Koeman pulling him and even dropping him for a few games to work on that aspect of the game. That is protecting a young player and ensuring every side don't target him and undermine his confidence. It is a problem if he's never given a chance again but the next 2 games to go to a back 4 may be the way to go.

This is how young players improve as well. Give them a chance, when an aspect of their game is exposed you work on it.

agree too pal. Interesting to see what he does. Davies further forward instead of Ross. Ross was sloppy last night but change in formation didn't help him second half. He has been top notch the last month and will have games like last night. What RK gets the big money for
Morgan or Davies to replace Barkley, Lookman for Mirallas

It's good that he makes mistakes so he can learn from them. If he doesn't how will he ever improve? Much sooner have a one all draw once we got to grips with the problem, than just ignore it and end up getting beat 4-3.

Youngster makes a mistake, not concerned by it as long as it is something he learns from. If he continues to make the same mistakes over and over again like Stones did then you start to worry. Look at the best centre halves England have produced in the last 30 years, Adams, Pallister, Ferdinand, Terry etc... they all made mistakes when they were young, reducing the amount they made was made them so good and hopefully Holgate will do that.

Glad Koeman waited till half time to make the change rather than hook him earlier, think it would have been detrimental to the lad if he had subbed him earlier like he did with McCarthy at West Brom earlier in the year. Always going to have one of those days at some point and as others have said wasn't helped by Coleman or the other centre halfs really in the first half. Still a top prospect and days like this will help bring him along even more.

Has he tried Jags in the back 3? Seems odd that the back 3 usually involves Holgate, but never in a back 4. And Jags vice versa.

Has he tried Jags in the back 3? Seems odd that the back 3 usually involves Holgate, but never in a back 4. And Jags vice versa.

Back 3 works because it pushes Williams central as he's by far the slowest out of him, Holgate and Funes Mori. If you put Jags in then either him or Williams would go as the right-sided defender and we'd get absolutely bummed by anyone that can run.

Back 3 works because it pushes Williams central as he's by far the slowest out of him, Holgate and Funes Mori. If you put Jags in then either him or Williams would go as the right-sided defender and we'd get absolutely bummed by anyone that can run.
Which is exactly what happened the last time we tried it. Though I think Funes Mori was the one missing out and Williams went to the left side with Jags in the middle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back