Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

MATCH THREAD - Fulham vs Everton - Cap One Cup 3rd Round - Tuesday 24th Sept @ 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had two games to test our squad depth and young players, and going out now takes five fixtures out of our schedules and increases our chances of doing well in the league and having a go at the infinitely more worthy FA Cup.

Not arsed in the slightest. It's a secondary domestic cup which will inevitably be used to rotate the squad, that's just how it is.

Far more important was the positives in the display:

* Deulofeu was encouraging. Nowhere near the finished product and there's a reason he's not in the Barca set up as he's incredibly selfish, but he has all the raw tools and he's going to be weapon for us off the bench this year and a first teamer next season if we keep him on.

* Stones looked assured again.

* We now know for certain that Heitinga is finished at Everton, if there was ever a doubt. So no tears shed at all when he leaves.

* Mirallas looked a lot livelier when he came on than he has lately.

* Oviedo isn't ready for the first team and may never be, so we appreciate even more how vital Baines is for us.

Tell that to the 3000 Fans who paid to cheer on a second string team.

Lesson of the night:

Don't make 8 changes to your starting line up against a Premier League team (no matter who they are or how they are playing - especially if you are away to them) and expect to win.

There's a reason why a lot of those 8 players who've come into the side weren't playing regularly - they're not as good as the first choice XI.

I'm all for the positive 'the league cup doesn't matter' stuff, but that's just guff. It does matter, it's a day out at Wembley and you get a European place if you win it.

The loss tonight was largely needless. Martinez' fault.

No, I just believe that a big club such as ours should have higher priorities than a Mickey Mouse cup like this.

It's the reason I don't cry about the Zenith Data Cup loss to Crystal Palace. Nobody cares - similarly, nobody gives a toss about the Capital One Cup. Even United have only won it four times over their twenty plus years of dominance.

The manager has decided that rotating the squad was the call to make for this tournament, despite Premier League opposition. There's a reason for that.

Reduced prices certainly, I'd agree with that.

He was wrong. And you are too: the LC is well worth wining. It's a prestigious domestic trophy.

Don't see why Martinez's team selection is getting a battering. In the first half we should have had 5 or 6 goals. Poor finishing was the reason for us going out today, not poor tatics.

And we had a bagful more chances in the last 20 minutes. Coleman missing an open goal at the end there. The young players did us proud and we deserved to be at least level after 90.

But I have to come back to the team selection. It was always likely to be a close game, and having the likes of Jagielka, Barry and Baines in the starting lineup could just have made that vital difference.

Disappointing but not the end of the world

Let's not knee jerk our way into misery - we were still decent for some parts of the game.

Disappointing? Disa f****kin ppointing? F****kin disgraceful more like it. Martinez totally to blame. Great start. Far too slack for the middle third of the game. And that's when the manager should have been making changes. But no, like Moyes before him, he waits until the scoreline has changed before doing anything. What the [Poor language removed] was Heitinga doing on the park? When we gave Fulham the momentum why wasn't our pathetic midfield changed straightaway? And with Mirallas on the bench what sort of genius manager does a shufffle that puts his RB to wide right and leaves his matchwinning winger on the bench until it's too late.

Lesson of the night:

Don't make 8 changes to your starting line up against a Premier League team (no matter who they are or how they are playing - especially if you are away to them) and expect to win.

There's a reason why a lot of those 8 players who've come into the side weren't playing regularly - they're not as good as the first choice XI.

I'm all for the positive 'the league cup doesn't matter' stuff, but that's just guff. It does matter, it's a day out at Wembley and you get a European place if you win it.

The loss tonight was largely needless. Martinez' fault.

Agreed. But we need to take it on the chin and move on. Unfortunately we have to wait six days.

People don't understand... we will NOT get europe in the league. We aren't good enough to finish 5th.
This was our best way in Europe and was fluffed in.

Martinez clearly doesn't want this competition as he wouldn't of rested baines and mirallas.

So you're asuming that 2 teams outside the top 4 will win the 2 cup competitions again like last year. Highly unlikely I'd say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back