M'Baye Niang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're wrong personally.

You can only care about loyalty to an extent, if we signed Niang, and he stayed here 3 or 4 years, became a great player, and then got sold for £20m+, who cares? He would have played a part while here, then we would make a profit on him.

Only at that point, should we be saying, "If he doesn't want to stay, sell him".

Buying young quality prospects and then maybe selling them if they don't want to stay should be part of the business model here with limited funds.

As the club progresses and adds quality, more of these players might want to stay if we start challenging higher in the league.

Well, if this is what the basis of your argument comes down to then I guess we have no choice...

As supporters we really shouldn't have to be thinking about business models, sell-on values, etc.

Well, if this is what the basis of your argument comes down to then I guess we have no choice...

As supporters we really shouldn't have to be thinking about business models, sell-on values, etc.

You bold one part of my argument and concentrate your reply on it...

He would clearly play a part in the squad while he is with us and would possibly grow to love the club like others have, you really think that Fellaini & co initially signed because they wanted to be part of the almighty Everton and be uber-loyal?

No, they signed because it was the right CAREER move for them, and once here, they have grown to love the place and feel at home.

An outsider will only see the club from an outside point of view, until they are inside.

At worst, they move on at some point and we make a profit, I really cannot see what is wrong with that from our point of view?

Also, to add... just because we are supporters, does not change the fact that Everton Football Club is a business, first and foremost.

He would clearly play a part in the squad while he is with us and would possibly grow to love the club like others have, you really think that Fellaini & co initially signed because they wanted to be part of the almighty Everton and be uber-loyal?

No, they signed because it was the right CAREER move for them, and once here, they have grown to love the place and feel at home.

An outsider will only see the club from an outside point of view, until they are inside.

At worst, they move on at some point and we make a profit, I really cannot see what is wrong with that from our point of view?

exactly, especially young foreigners

I bolded that part of your argument because that's what your argument clearly boiled down to. You want us to sign Niang because, essentially, somewhere along the line, you can see the pound signs in your eyes. It's ridiculous that a supporter has to be stuck in that mindset, but I understand that's how things are for Evertonians now.

"He would clearly play a part in the squad while with us" - is this a guarantee? What's to say he wouldn't flop? I mean, I like the look of him from what I've seen, but come on now.

Of course, once he's inside, who knows? But I wouldn't bank on it judging from what I've heard about his attitude. He seems the sort who would be out the door the second a better opportunity come along.

I bolded that part of your argument because that's what your argument clearly boiled down to. You want us to sign Niang because, essentially, somewhere along the line, you can see the pound signs in your eyes. It's ridiculous that a supporter has to be stuck in that mindset, but I understand that's how things are for Evertonians now.

"He would clearly play a part in the squad while with us" - is this a guarantee? What's to say he wouldn't flop? I mean, I like the look of him from what I've seen, but come on now.

Of course, once he's inside, who knows? But I wouldn't bank on it judging from what I've heard about his attitude. He seems the sort who would be out the door the second a better opportunity come along.

Once again, you are determined to assume that I see "pound signs", when I am actually saying that it's not the worst thing in the world if he moves on at some point!

Oh wait, let's have a team of Tony Hibbert's who are 100% loyal. :lol:(y)

Compare him to Rodwell, don't let the fact Rodwell was english and came through the youth system stop you from making a comparison.

Say we got Niang for a couple million, then he became a squad player, or a first team player at some point, then didn't want to sign a new contract, or wanted a move. There is a 95% chance we would make a profit on the lad, probably a fairly big one.

On the other hand, he could settle in, become a star, and like it here. And help us progress. Either way, playing for us, or getting us a big profit, the club would be better off and make progress.

Once again, you are determined to assume that I see "pound signs", when I am actually saying that it's not the worst thing in the world if he moves on at some point!

Oh wait, let's have a team of Tony Hibbert's who are 100% loyal. :lol:(y)

Compare him to Rodwell, don't let the fact Rodwell was english and came through the youth system stop you from making a comparison.

Say we got Niang for a couple million, then he became a squad player, or a first team player at some point, then didn't want to sign a new contract, or wanted a move. There is a 95% chance we would make a profit on the lad, probably a fairly big one.

On the other hand, he could settle in, become a star, and like it here. And help us progress. Either way, playing for us, or getting us a big profit, the club would be better off and make progress.

I agree, it's not the worst thing in the world for us if he moves on at some point AFTER him being a success story. But, you know, for that he would have to become a success story first.

What if we signed him and he was a complete flop? How does that effect his sell-on value? He could be shipped off to Bulgaria for pennies for all we know. I think you're 95% chance of him being sold off for profit figures need recalculating or at least a new formula needs to be used.

As for the Rodwell comparison, I don't think it's a good one really. You say forget the fact he's English, but you and I both know that young English players attract a premium price. We can't bury our heads from that fact. Oh, and let's not forget the Home Grown ruling that Manchester City are required to meet. They sure as hell aren't going to meet it with players from their own academy.

It's not really a case of thinking about business models or sell-on values. It's more a case of being aware of the reality of the situation and judging accordingly. If we only buy players who are fully aware of our history and love the 'ethos' of the club, and think the fans are the best, we'll be relegated before we know it.

I agree, it's not the worst thing in the world for us if he moves on at some point AFTER him being a success story. But, you know, for that he would have to become a success story first.

What if we signed him and he was a complete flop? How does that effect his sell-on value? He could be shipped off to Bulgaria for pennies for all we know. I think you're 95% chance of him being sold off for profit figures need recalculating.

As for the Rodwell comparison, I don't think it's a good one really. You say forget the fact he's English, but you and I both know that young English players attract a premium price. We can't bury our heads from that fact. Oh, and let's not forget the Home Grown ruling that Manchester City are required to meet. They sure as hell aren't going to meet it with players from their own academy.

Even if Niang flopped, which I highly doubt, we could easily recoup the relatively small fee we would have paid (2m + addons). We will have to agree to disagree I think.

And if Moyes likes the lad, and he has impressed alot of scouts, including Evertons, I trust them to not sign a flop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back