McCarthy to replace Fellaini?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres a thread been dug up from last November about us needing a hard man. While McCarthy isnt a hard man, in fact he doesnt really do anything special at all, the lad just sits in midfield and breaks up attack after attack.

Find the videos of him on youtube, against us and Man U...its basically 4/5 minutes of the whole game, every touch, pass, tackle he makes. Better than just a highlights reel. He makes mistakes, hes only 22 though. He isnt a glory player, he wont beat 5 men and rip the net from 25 yards and get the headlines but i think he will do the work for someone else to get the headlines.

He seems to look for the forward pass firstly, then if it isnt on he will keep possession and play it back. Martinez basically got him from Hamilton and moulded him into the midfielder that he wanted him to be. It makes perfect sense that he wants him at everton.

We just need to back the manager and have some faith.

McCarthy's valuation of £10 million maximum, appears to have been set by a certain section of our fans, is based on what ?
To be honest I've no idea of his value,but given he's only 22 and has plenty of prem experience, the fees being quoted don't sound too excessive.

To be honest McCarthy is alright, but when the papers and media say 15-20 million it puts me off big style. For around 15 million you could have got Chadli and Capoue,

Ive seen him play twice for wigan and once for ireland this season and truth be told i wasnt impressed, just hope the fee isnt too much

McCarthy is worth 12-13m and that's what he'll probably go for.

He can obviously do a job and I suspect will increase in value in the next two years.

In our situation, with our squad, if Fellaini goes, I just wonder if we are better off bringing in a couple of cheaper options in that department and saving the bulk of the money for a 'blue-chip' forward.

Last edited:

Martinez come out and said we have made no bids and Man u have made no further bids. We're at a stand-still at the moment.
I just heard that. Full of praise for McCarthy but saying there's nothing to report, as yet. It sounded obvious to me he's waiting on money from a sale to trigger that one.

McCarthy is worth 12-13m and that's what he'll probably go for.

He can obviously do a job and I suspect will increase in value in the next two years.

I our situation, with our squad, if Fellaini goes, I just wonder if we are better off bringing in a couple of cheaper options in that department and saving the bulk of the money for a 'blue-chip' forward.
Have to agree with you on that one, posted something similar myself a while back.
We need an explosive top drawer striker as when playing the possession game teams are all to happy to sit deep, thus limiting the chances we create, it is imperative that we 'put away' those chances.
A top notch goalscorer would do just that,but they don't come cheap.

Have to agree with you on that one, posted something similar myself a while back.
We need an explosive top drawer striker as when playing the possession game teams are all to happy to sit deep, thus limiting the chances we create, it is imperative that we 'put away' those chances.
A top notch goalscorer would do just that,but they don't come cheap.

You are right. But surely we need master the "keeping the ball" part of this plan first ??!!

I think that very often a bid isn't made until a fee is agreed,so technically the manager is right that a bid hasn't been made.
A more pertinent question would be "have you enquired about James McCarthy or discussed a fee".

It is inching towards Fellaini(at least ) going to Utd, Martinez will certainly be lining up his replacements this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back