McCarthy to replace Fellaini?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just heard that. Full of praise for McCarthy but saying there's nothing to report, as yet. It sounded obvious to me he's waiting on money from a sale to trigger that one.

Watched the interview and I think all signs are that we will get 1 or 2 in regardless of whether we sell. Even if it's only on loan.

You are right. But surely we need master the "keeping the ball" part of this plan first ??!!
We have had the majority of possession in the two games we've played so far,60 + %.
Against Norwich and West Brom who it's fair to say are not amongst those teams who are going to challenge for a European place.

You are right. But surely we need master the "keeping the ball" part of this plan first ??!!

True, & I'm not against McCarthy at all just that I think it's easier to find players to do the job he does whereas paying double figure sums for a 'blue-chip' forward is, in our situation, a better use of this 'once off' sum of money.

McCarthy is a really good player and in today's market will go for 12-13m. I think some have watched too much Simon Cowell and therefore have an instant 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' response to everything. That's why we're getting such wildly different appraisals of him. Wouldn't be disappointed if we signed him.

True, & I'm not against McCarthy at all just that I think it's easier to find players to do the job he does whereas paying double figure sums for a 'blue-chip' forward is, in our situation, a better use of this 'once off' sum of money.

McCarthy is a really good player and in today's market will go for 12-13m. I think some have watched too much Simon Cowell and therefore have an instant 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' response to everything. That's why we're getting such wildly different appraisals of him. Wouldn't be disappointed if we signed him.

I think if we can sort out midfield, the strikers will take care of themselves.

Its not as if we are creating loads of chances for them as it is. So spending more money on striker is pointless.

Like spending a money on a new roof, before the walls need fixing.

He's an improvement over Gibson - but how much of an improvement bearing in mind we paid 500k for him.

We have had the majority of possession in the two games we've played so far,60 + %.
Against Norwich and West Brom who it's fair to say are not amongst those teams who are going to challenge for a European place.

Exactly, so lets sure up our ball retention, and new set of decisions and game play.

McCarthy or 'cool sounding foriegn player', I dont care. I think midfield is the priority.

He's an improvement over Gibson - but how much of an improvement bearing in mind we paid 500k for him.

tumblr_mol7zmVRW61rceklro1_500.gif

Its not as if we are creating loads of chances for them as it is. So spending more money on striker is pointless.

Our midfield has gone badly crab over the last half-a-season. Passing sideways along the edge of box seems to be our attacking trademark. Not faulting anyone, just think we need someone with a bit of vision to get the ball into dangerous areas.

It was a strange sort of way in saying " I agree with you, on the point I quoted by you "
Don't think it as a negative, that song does come into my head when I see your username though.

Not taken as a negative - buti have to say 90% of people have strange/odd user names so for that reason I don't think they're worthy of comment.

I think we need additions in midfield but McCarthy is not going to create a lot of chances. He's a top player in terms of keeping possession and showing for the ball in the right areas. Ideally if we had lots of money then yes, but I think this type of player is easier to get for less.

Watching Swansea and UTD last week, Swansea had lots of the ball and chances but UTD had quality up front.

Again, I like McCarthy, I can see why he would want him.

In terms of our strikers, I'm not sure I would be afraid of them if they played for our competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back