McCarthy to replace Fellaini?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1.) No, they're totally different players. Comparing them as players as such isn't fruitful. Comparing them as transfers is different, but then if McCarthy is the one at the heart of Martinez' system who's to say he won't be a very important transfer?
Right, feel free to give a detailed breakdown of the vast differences between these two central midfielders. Because that's the position they'd be playing for us (along with covering for Gibbo when he gets hurt). McCarthy may be a good player, and I'm not saying he isn't. I'm simply saying that he's NOT worth £10m more than Diame TO US.

2.) Spurs have signed a lot of midfielders, but only good/very good ones -- that's my point. They're letting the likes of Parker and Huddlestone leave, to sign top class CMs like Capoue and Paulinho.
And they HAVEN'T signed McCarthy, or shown any interest. How does that prove YOUR point that he is worth the £15m price tag? Capoue cost £9m, Spurs presumably thought he was better, or at least a better deal at that price, than McCarthy.

3.) Call it a hunch. Just really think he'd have signed him by now knowing how much we need a DM, knowing his release clause and knowing the player better than you or I ever will.
All certainly possible. What's also possible is that the general public don't hear about Everton's business very far in advance. See Mirallas, Kevin.

Saying player X is/isn't work 3 of player Y is silly, because transfer fees have a dozen factors. The player's ability is just one; their importance to their current team, their potential new team, their age, their nationality, their position -- all key factors. Comparing Diame to McCarthy is therefore pointless. Equally I could say he's not worth 7 Mikel Artetas, or he is worth 1 Joe Allen or 40% of an Andy Carroll -- you can do that all day. It'll get you nowhere.
Except I'm comparing the proposed TRANSACTIONS, not JUST the players. Whether you agree or not, £15m is three times £5m. And I'm suggesting that McCarthy is not such an amazing player that spending £15m on him will have three times the impact on our squad/season that spending £5m on Diame will. Yes there are LOADS of factors that go into determining a player's sale price and comparing those factors in relation to two different players is probably futile: comparing the price tags themselves however isn't.

And whilst I agree that £15m could go further, your specific example stinks of Football Manager addiction. Who the hell says they want to loan those players/they want to come here/we could afford their wages etc? I haven't taken your maths into account because football transfers aren't simple maths, and your maths, a bit like your line of thinking is just that: simple.
Give the personal jibes a rest mate.

Moses being available on loan is a rumour that has been doing the rounds for some time. Ba possibly being shifted out is also not a new rumour, although Lukaku's availability has only started to be rumoured in the last day or so following JM's refusal to use him against Man Utd. By your standard, ANY transfer speculation would presumably amount to Football Manager addiction.... I could equally suggest that your keeness for McCarthy amounts to a Wigan addiction. It's a cheap line of argument that doesn't hold up to scrutiny, and is somewhat redundant in a thread devoted to transfer speculation.

However, I accept your sentiment. And this is why I've said I'd really rather not pay upwards of £10m for McCarthy. We need to make money go far and if we spend £15m we'll have probably used up nearly all of the Fellaini fee after sell on clauses, agent fees etc, and we clearly need additions right now without losing Marouane.
So a simple question then: Who would you prefer, assuming Felli goes?

a.) McCarthy for say £9m (given that you said you'd consider him at less than £10m)
b.) Diame for £5.5m (assuming the release clause value)

Would love to see him here and playing the same against MU this season (y)

[video=youtube;dCxji7TyAQU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dCxji7TyAQU[/video]

Did I miss something in that video.

I saw a player who is reasonably tidy in possession, playing a lot of neat square passes but lacking any creativity in the final third.

Honestly think someone like Lundstram from the reserves could do this type of job just as well.

Aye thought the same, didn't see anything whatsoever in that video that made me think we'd benefit from having him.

A six out of ten game at best there like. Gibson plays that role miles better.

Aye thought the same, didn't see anything whatsoever in that video that made me think we'd benefit from having him.

For the money being talked about, there's miles better than him out there.

We need players who can score goals and unlock defences, McCarthy doesn't fit that bill.

He'll retain possession in a Rodwell-esque fashion and probably find himself in the same areas as Gibson all the time. For the money being touted I hope it doesn't come off.

Now,you,ve gone and done it. No place for that type of thinking on here, expect to be told to go support someone else.

Why he is right.
If alacraz and kone break our first team with McCarthy signed thats the spine of wigans team last year.
You could put a positive spin on it and say its the spine of cup winning side.

The problem is Gibson a sick note

Sure, but we'd get far better value for a similar type of player than blowing at least half of what we made on Fellaini. Gibson cost us half a million so even if he plays 70% of our games a season he's worth it.

Trading in essentially Fellaini for McCarthy would weaken us in a number of areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back