McCarthy to replace Fellaini?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thing is mate, with martinez changing the way we fundamentally play already a bit, dont you think fellis role in the team is a little bit uncertain atm, hes not a distributor, not a holding type, doesnt seem massively suited to a quick passing game so a player s good as him isnt maybe the point as a player who overall is better in the system that we will play than he is, kinda a tricky one i know

Possibly mate, I do kind of disagree though. I think Fellaini would be first team under Martinez no question if he stays and for good reason too.

If we had a player that day giving a performance like the one McCarthy gave we would probably have won the game.It seemed as I watched that clip that he controlled the tempo of the game,kept the ball moving,kept his team moving forward and kept possession for his team.They beat us out the gate and he was instrumental in that win.

I think it will be very difficult to sign him from Dave Whelan, I don't think Martinez will do a "Moyes" with his former club.If a deal is to be agreed I think it will done discreetly by agreement with the chairman with no silly bids being thrown in .
But,sign him or not I think he is a very good player that will get even better and would flourish with players like Mirallas,Baines,Barkley etc. around him.

What are they?

Overall, he can replace Fellaini. He's 22 and flexible enough to play in a variety of formations. I think we'll regret the day we let this lad go elsewhere if we do. He has enormous potential and his best right now is good enough to slot into our midfield.

His passing accuracy, his number of total passes, his key passes, his goals, his number of tackles, headers won....pick anyone you like & Fellaini smashes him into the dust.

He's not fit to lace Fellaini's boots imo & if Martinez sees him a direct replacement & spunks the majority of the Fellaini fee on him, then it'll prove to be one of the worst decisions we've made in the transfer market in many a long year imo. (feel free to bookmark)

I said ideally... but of course if we can get 2 decent enough players then we've certainly strengthened in terms of depth.

Thing is mate a midfield comprising of say Mccarthy-defour (osman backup) compared to say fellain-osman looks stronger not only depthwise but starting wise too

Aye thought the same, didn't see anything whatsoever in that video that made me think we'd benefit from having him.

A six out of ten game at best there like. Gibson plays that role miles better.

Its just one game. If he was a 6 out of 10 in that game what would you give Felli and Gibson from the same game. He looks a neat and tidy player who rarely gives the ball away and brings others into play. He is truly a team player. Not saying he is worth 10m but still think he would add to the team rather than detract.

Fellaini's stats are vastly superior to McCarthy in every respect.
Well that's a bit over the top ... is Fellaini's pass accuracy vastly superior (or even superior) to McCarthy? In fact most of his passing stats are better than Fellaini (IIRC from Bong's analysis).

Not saying that's all there is to it (and obviously Fellaini does a lot of things better) ... just saying people need to recognize McCarthy does have some positives.

Whether you agree or not, £15m is three times £5m.
Controversial ... RFUS will be hard pressed to argue his way out of that one.

Possibly mate, I do kind of disagree though. I think Fellaini would be first team under Martinez no question if he stays and for good reason too.

I agree too mate, thing is even though it may not suit him he is off the ability level that he can still play solidly in it, just not as effective in many ways under a system more suited to him, the uncertainty part i was saying about earlier isnt his place in the starting squad more the exact role he plays in it

I said ideally... but of course if we can get 2 decent enough players then we've certainly strengthened in terms of depth.
Purely hypothetically, but say if we got Marrone, McCarthy and maybe Moses on loan or Piatti for Fellaini, I'd consider us stronger than before.

Thing is mate a midfield comprising of say Mccarthy-defour (osman backup) compared to say fellain-osman looks stronger not only depthwise but starting wise too

Although I'd counter that a Gibson-Fellaini midfield is stronger than a McCarthy-Defour midfield.

We certainly need cover at CM, and if Fellaini leaves then we need 2 CMs. But of course we all know this.

I don't think McCarthy would be a bad signing if Felli stays, but I can't see it happening. Then again none of us really know if we're in for McCarthy so apologies if I'm coming off negative here. I just think ideally you need to replace Fellaini with someone just as good.

His passing accuracy, his number of total passes, his key passes, his goals, his number of tackles, headers won....pick anyone you like & Fellaini smashes him into the dust.

He's not fit to lace Fellaini's boots imo & if Martinez sees him a direct replacement & spunks the majority of the Fellaini fee on him, then it'll prove to be one of the worst decisions we've made in the transfer market in many a long year imo. (feel free to bookmark)

Surely the players he is passing too make a difference ??

Fellaini passes to Gibson, Baines, Pienaar & Mirallas. Surely more likely to get it back, and be given more options !?!

Not sure if you're serious here but mate that's simply not true. "To his credit, on the ball McCarthy is in the top 10% of central midfielders in the Premier League. In his position he is ranked 8th for volume of passes made per game, 12th for passing accuracy and 10th for most accurate long passes." http://theexecutionersbong.wordpress.com/2013/07/31/transfer-deconstruction-james-mccarthy/

I don't have time to get the exact numbers now but Felli isn't ahead of McCarthy on two of the things you mentioned (and one you didn't).

Certainly Felli is ahead on goals (and probably headers and tackles too) ... like I said he's great and I hope we keep him. But McCarthy has some positives too and things he does better than Fellaini.

Last edited:
Not sure if you're serious here but mate that's simply not true. "To his credit, on the ball McCarthy is in the top 10% of central midfielders in the Premier League. In his position he is ranked 8th for volume of passes made per game, 12th for passing accuracy and 10th for most accurate long passes." http://theexecutionersbong.wordpress.com/2013/07/31/transfer-deconstruction-james-mccarthy/

I don't have time to get the exact numbers now but Felli isn't ahead of McCarthy on two of the things you mentioned (and one you didn't).

So you claim hes wrong and then provide nothing to back up your claim.

Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back