McCarthy to replace Fellaini?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Not sure if you're serious here but mate that's simply not true. "To his credit, on the ball McCarthy is in the top 10% of central midfielders in the Premier League. In his position he is ranked 8th for volume of passes made per game, 12th for passing accuracy and 10th for most accurate long passes." http://theexecutionersbong.wordpress.com/2013/07/31/transfer-deconstruction-james-mccarthy/

I don't have time to get the exact numbers now but Felli isn't ahead of McCarthy on two of the things you mentioned (and one you didn't).

Certainly Felli is ahead on goals (and probably headers and tackles too) ... like I said he's great and I hope we keep him. But McCarthy has some positives too and things he does better than Fellaini.

There's what 40-60 starting CM's in the prem. 8th, 10th, 12th doesn't sound like top 10% to me?

His passing accuracy, his number of total passes, his key passes, his goals, his number of tackles, headers won....pick anyone you like & Fellaini smashes him into the dust.

He's not fit to lace Fellaini's boots imo & if Martinez sees him a direct replacement & spunks the majority of the Fellaini fee on him, then it'll prove to be one of the worst decisions we've made in the transfer market in many a long year imo. (feel free to bookmark)

Not true in any way.

Stats for last season:

McCarthy http://www.squawka.com/players/james-mccarthy#performance-score#wigan-athletic-%28current%29#english-barclays-premier-league#8#season-2012/2013#2#all-matches#1-38#by-match

Fellaini http://www.squawka.com/players/maro...#season-2012/2013#2#all-matches#1-38#by-match

Average pass completion - McCarthy 87% Fellaini 79%
Average duels won - McCarthy 60% Fellaini 55%

Fellaini pretty much only beats him in shot accuracy and goals scored.

His passing accuracy, his number of total passes, his key passes, his goals, his number of tackles, headers won....pick anyone you like & Fellaini smashes him into the dust.

He's not fit to lace Fellaini's boots imo & if Martinez sees him a direct replacement & spunks the majority of the Fellaini fee on him, then it'll prove to be one of the worst decisions we've made in the transfer market in many a long year imo. (feel free to bookmark)

Fellaini's passing accuracy for last season was 79%, McCarthy's was 87%

Fellaini's tackle win rate was 73%, McCarthy's was 75%

So what your basically saying is he wins the passing? Brenda is that you?
He was the one who brought up pass accuracy. He said Fellaini beats McCarthy in every single category and does so handily. He specifically said pass accuracy was one stat in which Fellaini was better. I am making zero claims about how effective a stat it is ... merely pointing out that he was wrong.

Are we seriously rating players based on a p*xy youtube clip, seriously? you cant judge a player unless you've seen (and watched him) play at least half a dozen times, preferably live............get him in I say

Its just one game. If he was a 6 out of 10 in that game what would you give Felli and Gibson from the same game. He looks a neat and tidy player who rarely gives the ball away and brings others into play. He is truly a team player. Not saying he is worth 10m but still think he would add to the team rather than detract.

Aye both fair points. I haven't seen him as much as both of you but the times I have I just haven't noticed him really. Surely though, if he's that sound then there has to be some better youtube clips out there? Youtube even made Bilyaletdinov look a player so it shouldn't be too hard with McCarthy.

Signing nondescript midfielders for decent amounts of money sets off my Mike Milligan and Danny Williamson alarms. You can add Vinny Samways to that too like.

to counter that argument though...fellaini stats from 2 games this season where he is playing deeper -

Pass accuracy 88%
Duels won 70%

Its whether Fellaini plays as an attacking midfielder or a DM affects his stats as you would expect.

I want to keep Fellaini, i just think he wants to leave. You cant simply write McCarthy off as being garbage though because as a DM the lad is a good player.

Average passes per game (same chart as before) McCarthy 9th ... Fellaini 21st.

(Again ... I am making no claims this is important or this makes McCarthy better than Fellaini ... merely pointing out someone said Fellaini was better at this specific stat and that is not true.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back