McCarthy to replace Fellaini?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the original poster or a mod change the thread title, as Martinez confirmed today that no bid has been made for McCarthy.

His passing accuracy, his number of total passes, his key passes, his goals, his number of tackles, headers won....pick anyone you like & Fellaini smashes him into the dust.

He's not fit to lace Fellaini's boots imo & if Martinez sees him a direct replacement & spunks the majority of the Fellaini fee on him, then it'll prove to be one of the worst decisions we've made in the transfer market in many a long year imo. (feel free to bookmark)
That's just assertion; I'm asking you what the stats are. I think you're massively bluffing here.

I try and swerve all these stats when evaluating if a player is sound or not, leave that to Baseball or the kopites.
It's only going to become more commonplace around here. It's perfectly logical ... if the argument is "I watched him and I think he's good" and then the counter is "I watched him and I think he's bad" then that argument can only go so far (and then someone mentions hitler).

If you can take a look at some numbers are say "well player A is better at this stuff but not as good at this stuff" and back it up with some numbers you can (hopefully) have a more coherent discussion. Doesn't work when people just make stuff up though.

As someone else mentions above the only way to get a reliable opinion from watching a player means you have to watch them in 10-20 games (or more). That's why fans of other teams have weird ideas about our players -- because they see them play twice a year and if the player has a bad game then they don't rate them.

I simply don't have the time nor patience to watch double digit games of any team not called Everton so it makes more sense for me to look at some stats than try to act like I have some great scouting knowledge from the four Wigan games (more than I watched most teams actually because of the Cup game and the fact they made a final) I watched last year.

I mean honestly has anyone here seen 10-20 Wigan games in which McCarthy has played? If so ... why? Also ... what do you think?

I dont see how we can improve Fellaini anymore than we already have. For 10 games a season he is a monster and completely unplayable...the only thing stopping fellaini being world class - is Fellaini.

Only he can answer why he doesnt do it every single game like to top, top players do. Is it because hes at everton? Is it because he just isnt interested sometimes? is it cos hes too busy hanging out the back of scouse scuzzbombs the night before a game? who knows? I doubt he will be signing a new deal though so timing is limited.

McCarthy is 22, hes got 2 contracts in him then even at 26/27 your commanding a great fee if he improves on what he has. I dont think hes as technically gifted as fellaini but i genuinely think he is more consistant and applied himself in more games throughout the season.

It's only going to become more commonplace around here. It's perfectly logical ... if the argument is "I watched him and I think he's good" and then the counter is "I watched him and I think he's bad" then that argument can only go so far (and then someone mentions hitler).

If you can take a look at some numbers are say "well player A is better at this stuff but not as good at this stuff" and back it up with some numbers you can (hopefully) have a more coherent discussion. Doesn't work when people just make stuff up though.

As someone else mentions above the only way to get a reliable opinion from watching a player means you have to watch them in 10-20 games (or more). That's why fans of other teams have weird ideas about our players -- because they see them play twice a year and if the player has a bad game then they don't rate them.

I simply don't have the time nor patience to watch double digit games of any team not called Everton so it makes more sense for me to look at some stats than try to act like I have some great scouting knowledge from the four Wigan games (more than I watched most teams actually because of the Cup game and the fact they made a final) I watched last year.

I mean honestly has anyone here seen 10-20 Wigan games in which McCarthy has played? If so ... why? Also ... what do you think?

Aye fair enough and all our opinions are subjective until he's had a season or so in an Everton shirt.

Maybe we'll find out. In the games against Wigan through the previous seasons and whenever I've watched them I've seen nothing that makes me think he's worth spunking a relative big amount of money for. But there's a few lids on here who say they've seen him plenty and he's sound. I presume our scouts have too as well as his previous manager so they'd know better than me.

Ordering the mod's around hey?

See yer mate

Whoa.... I never ordered anyone around, I just asked a question/made a suggestion.

It seems pointless discussing something that has been confirmed by our manager today to simply not be true.

To the above, yes I have seen quite a bit of McCarthy and he's a very decent player. Combative, tidy in possession, a 100% player who wouldn't let us down. However, he isn't a player who will take us to the next level and he certainly isn'tin the same league as Fellaini.

I'll personally reserve judgement until I see the fee, but paying double figures would be extravagant. Those saying he's useless are saying so based on his name and who he plays for, not his ability.

Hahaha.

He cost half a million mate. McCarthy is going to cost a whole lot more than that when there might be better out there for cheaper like.

Gibson cost half a million, and he's only made 34 appearances in two seasons. McCarthy is 22, an experienced international and PL starter, and seems to have no injury issues whatsoever. He also has a lot of potential for improvement.

I'd happily pay £10m for a 22 year old Gibson with no injury worries. You're probably getting a decades worth of appearances for that £10m.

To the above, yes I have seen quite a bit of McCarthy and he's a very decent player. Combative, tidy in possession, a 100% player who wouldn't let us down. However, he isn't a player who will take us to the next level and he certainly isn'tin the same league as Fellaini.

I'll personally reserve judgement until I see the fee, but paying double figures would be extravagant. Those saying he's useless are saying so based on his name and who he plays for, not his ability.

Thing is tubey, as fellaini also hasn't taken us to that next level either, wouldnt mccarthy in felli out with a leftover amount of anywhere between 10-15m overall to bring others in be an improvement for us as a team assuming a avg of the quoted prices are in the right ball park etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back