McCarthy to replace Fellaini?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gibson cost half a million, and he's only made 34 appearances in two seasons. McCarthy is 22, an experienced international and PL starter, and seems to have no injury issues whatsoever. He also has a lot of potential for improvement.

I'd happily pay £10m for a 22 year old Gibson with no injury worries. You're probably getting a decades worth of appearances for that £10m.

Who said he's as good as Gibson? Yet you'd want to pay about twenty times as much for a player to play double the game? Perhaps Gibson has been unlucky with injuries, who's to say McCarthy wouldn't be the same?

Combine this with effectively trading Fellaini in our midfield for him and I don't think it's a particularly good deal. Of course I would love to be proved wrong.

You only like him because you're blinded by simple five yard passes and he's one of your hair colour clan.

Who said he's as good as Gibson? Yet you'd want to pay about twenty times as much for a player to play double the game? Perhaps Gibson has been unlucky with injuries, who's to say McCarthy wouldn't be the same?

Combine this with effectively trading Fellaini in our midfield for him and I don't think it's a particularly good deal. Of course I would love to be proved wrong.

You only like him because you're blinded by simple five yard passes and he's one of your hair colour clan.

Nobody.

You're not just paying for a player to play double the game. McCarthy is 22, Gibson is 25.

Gibson hasn't just been unlucky with injuries, he's had consistent injury problems his whole career. McCarthy on the other hand has not.

To the above, yes I have seen quite a bit of McCarthy and he's a very decent player. Combative, tidy in possession, a 100% player who wouldn't let us down. However, he isn't a player who will take us to the next level and he certainly isn'tin the same league as Fellaini.

I'll personally reserve judgement until I see the fee, but paying double figures would be extravagant. Those saying he's useless are saying so based on his name and who he plays for, not his ability.

Oh look, we start asking for action by the mods and look who pipes up, leave it Tubey yeah?

They are both good pass and move players, not sure that wouldn't work and speed us up in the middle of the park to release our more creative players.

I wouldn't say Gibson moves too much. He can pass the ball well, and forward, but from deep is where he's best. Man Utd tried him as a forward playing CM and it didn't work for them.

The trend is for two of those types sitting in a 4-2-3-1 but for me personally it's too difficult to break sown PL defences with just 4 proper attackers and neither of our fullbacks, our most potent attacking players, get forward half as well without someone in front of them to link up with and make space.

Whoa.... I never ordered anyone around, I just asked a question/made a suggestion.

It seems pointless discussing something that has been confirmed by our manager today to simply not be true.

Not at the moment, but I'd bet it's sitting on the fax machine waiting for someone to press SEND as soon as the Fellani deal is agreed.

You're not just paying for a player to play double the game. McCarthy is 22, Gibson is 25.

Gibson hasn't just been unlucky with injuries, he's had consistent injury problems his whole career. McCarthy on the other hand has not.

Gibson didn't struggle with injuries consistently before Everton mate, so you're making that up there. He's struggled since he's been here but that could be bad luck.

You're talking about spunking up to and over ten million on a lad who plays five yard passes in the middle of the park. You've fallen victim to Joe Allenitis mate. Stats and tiki taka. Soccer AM telling you its boss. Its ok its your age and the media infesting you with these thoughts, not your fault.

Reactions: FTY

Bit harsh tbf mate, bit like saying we shouldnt pay more than a million for a rb should coleman break a leg, gibson was uber cheap because hes a crock, very rarely does a player at his age with constant injury problems turn it around
to be a 30+ games a year man, very few people in fact not one ive seen has said anything about trading him for felli, they talk about felli out him in with with a part of the money the surplus of like 10-15m to strengthen other areas

I wouldn't say Gibson moves too much. He can pass the ball well, and forward, but from deep is where he's best. Man Utd tried him as a forward playing CM and it didn't work for them.

The trend is for two of those types sitting in a 4-2-3-1 but for me personally it's too difficult to break sown PL defences with just 4 proper attackers and neither of our fullbacks, our most potent attacking players, get forward half as well without someone in front of them to link up with and make space.
This is where Gibson and McCarthy could work though I think in the deep. We have them sitting deeper and shifting the ball about, this tends to bring the opposition defence up, would leave space for Baines and more likely Coleman raiding in behind. Saw it a bit in the Blackburn game. Barkley also likes to bring the ball from deep and run in at defences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back