McCarthy to replace Fellaini?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Average passes per game (same chart as before) McCarthy 9th ... Fellaini 21st.

(Again ... I am making no claims this is important or this makes McCarthy better than Fellaini ... merely pointing out someone said Fellaini was better at this specific stat and that is not true.)

See, now thats much better.

Its just pointless posting 1 set of stats without the other.

Besides, stats are useless IMO.

to counter that argument though...fellaini stats from 2 games this season where he is playing deeper - Pass accuracy 88% Duels won 70% Its whether Fellaini plays as an attacking midfielder or a DM affects his stats as you would expect. I want to keep Fellaini, i just think he wants to leave. You cant simply write McCarthy off as being garbage though because as a DM the lad is a good player.
100% fair point on positions played ... but that wasn't mentioned before.

I try and swerve all these stats when evaluating if a player is sound or not, leave that to Baseball or the kopites.

I've been wrong loads before but with McCarthy I'm struggling to see what the big fuss is. If he was about 5m or below then sound but it's a big chunk of money for us that they're talking about.

We are doing here what the Man U fans are doing with Fellaini and Baines, deciding how good they are and how much they're worth based on a few clips here and there. We are not Wigan fans and don't watch him every week, the same as the Utd fans don't watch Felli & Baines every week. The Wigan fans seem to rate him very highly and im sure they know a lot more about his quality and style than we do, the same as we are more qualified than the Utd fans who say Fellaini is a big useless donkey who cant pass a ball and isn't worth £20mill because his best position is a target man, or Baines can cross a ball but cant defend as shown on a lot of 3 minute MOTD clips.

If Martinez wants him then i'll trust his judgement and give the lad a chance (if we do sign him).

Aye both fair points. I haven't seen him as much as both of you but the times I have I just haven't noticed him really. Surely though, if he's that sound then there has to be some better youtube clips out there? Youtube even made Bilyaletdinov look a player so it shouldn't be too hard with McCarthy.

Signing nondescript midfielders for decent amounts of money sets off my Mike Milligan and Danny Williamson alarms. You can add Vinny Samways to that too like.

Darron Gibson had about zero good youtube montages before we signed him.

Its really a nothing argument tbh.

Fellaini just didnt play DM last season, McCarthy did.

Now Fellaini is playing deeper, his stats have improved. Your also taking into account a difference manager and what hes asking the player to do.

To simply shout Fellaini smashes him is complete nonsense because he clearly doesnt, but McCarthy isnt Belgium and is also coming from Wigan - so noone wants him.

Id have him tomorrow.

Its really a nothing argument tbh.

Fellaini just didnt play DM last season, McCarthy did.

Now Fellaini is playing deeper, his stats have improved. Your also taking into account a difference manager and what hes asking the player to do.

To simply shout Fellaini smashes him is complete nonsense because he clearly doesnt, but McCarthy isnt Belgium and is also coming from Wigan - so noone wants him.

Id have him tomorrow.

I am pretty convinced that played in a deeper lying role, over a season Fellaini's stats would be phenomenal.

See, now thats much better. Its just pointless posting 1 set of stats without the other.

I suppose ... I figured if McCarthy was top ten then everyone knew Fellaini wasn't in the top ten in all those categories. I assumed we all have some shared knowledge on our own players that we don't need to repeat every single time but I guess not.

Besides, stats are useless IMO.
That's okay ... all but one person in the world is wrong about something sometimes.

I am pretty convinced that played in a deeper lying role, over a season Fellaini's stats would be phenomenal.

I think the big thing here is...does Fellaini still want to play for us?

I genuinely dont think he does and I think Martinez knows that. He wont hand in a transfer request - but none of the greedy sods do nowadays

*sods btw was cos i received an email for my language :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back