Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

By GP do you mean Goodison?

I admit to being a bandwagon supporter of Ireland rugby but sure why not, we are a party people.

I would love to have tried rugby but never got the opportunity. In the North to this day it’s only mainly Protestant schools play rugby. South of the border it’s much more open.
It's a great game. My dad would take me to watch Waterloo, England and Wales, which led me to play for school and then Collegiate for a few years.

Looking back, I was really lucky as it was my dad who got me into football, cricket and rugby by regularly taking me to watch and then training.

No wonder why I take my son to sports training six out of seven days in a week!

It's a great game. My dad would take me to watch Waterloo, England and Wales, which led me to play for school and then Collegiate for a few years.

Looking back, I was really lucky as it was my dad who got me into football, cricket and rugby by regularly taking me to watch and then training.

I have never played competitive sport at any level - apart from a brief stint as goal shooter in the school netball team. Soon cut short when they realised that I couldn't hot a cow's arse with a banjo. My co-ordination is awful. I genuinely sometimes think I have some sort of disability. Seriously, I aspire to be average. My brothers however are both really good at cricket, football, tennis, golf etc. God knows what happened to me in the gene pool.

However I digress I love cricket and my Dad was entirely responsible for this. I can't remember the exact year but he was watching an Ashes Test match on the TV. Ray Illingworth was the England captain. I started watching with him, he explained it all to me and I was hooked from then on. We stiil bond over cricket, I've given him my Sky Go codes so now he's fully into the IPL!

I have never played competitive sport at any level - apart from a brief stint as goal shooter in the school netball team. Soon cut short when they realised that I couldn't hot a cow's arse with a banjo. My co-ordination is awful. I genuinely sometimes think I have some sort of disability. Seriously, I aspire to be average. My brothers however are both really good at cricket, football, tennis, golf etc. God knows what happened to me in the gene pool.

However I digress I love cricket and my Dad was entirely responsible for this. I can't remember the exact year but he was watching an Ashes Test match on the TV. Ray Illingworth was the England captain. I started watching with him, he explained it all to me and I was hooked from then on. We stiil bond over cricket, I've given him my Sky Go codes so now he's fully into the IPL!
Sport was always a big part of my life as a child: I played football and rugby throughout the winter, and cricket nets started again in February for the summer.

I still watch all three sports on a regular basis, and my son has taken up two (football and cricket) since he was a toddler, alongside playing a bit of golf.

I'd have him playing rugby bar my wife's intervention, but we sit down at least a good few times a week and watch sport together.

Taking him to Goodison since he was a young boy too has been a real bonding moment. My eldest is very good at sport too, and she may play netball for England.

Sport is the best thing you can immerse kids in. Fitness, discipline and friendship in a handy package.

Sport was always a big part of my life as a child: I played football and rugby throughout the winter, and cricket nets started again in February for the summer.

I still watch all three sports on a regular basis, and my son has taken up two (football and cricket) since he was a toddler, alongside playing a bit of golf.

I'd have him playing rugby bar my wife's intervention, but we sit down at least a good few times a week and watch sport together.

Taking him to Goodison since he was a young boy too has been a real bonding moment. My eldest is very good at sport too, and she may play netball for England.
Well done to your daughter. My son plays cricket for a local team where he lives. He's OK at it and he enjoys it. I inflicted being an Evertonian on him when he was very small. Going to see Everton together when we can is our thing. The most fun experience we have had was a trip to Bern to watch us play Young Boys a few years ago. He has also, of course, accused me of ruining his life by making him an Evertonian, 🤣

I wasn't too bad at football and played in teams until about 18 or so. My issue is, that I'm not really competitive enough, I struggled to get excited about playing in some crappy field in the middle of nowhere

Although my career highlight was definitely scoring an OG against a team, which turned to be their first goal of the season, so they let fireworks off to celebrate lol

We live 2 mins walk from a tennis club so going to take my daughter to that when she is 4. She likes watching them play at the moment

Sport is the best thing you can immerse kids in. Fitness, discipline and friendship in a handy package.
Oh, I completely agree. He's only six, but he has already developed great resilience and stamina, alongside hopefully making friends for life. It makes him happy.

He loves being at United, but his biggest pride is that he was playing cricket at U9 level when he was five. All winter he's been asking, "When does cricket start?"
Well done to your daughter. My son plays cricket for a local team where he lives. He's OK at it and he enjoys it. I inflicted being an Evertonian on him when he was very small. Going to see Everton together when we can is our thing. The most fun experience we have had was a trip to Bern to watch us play Young Boys a few years ago. He has also, of course, accused me of ruining his life by making him an Evertonian, 🤣
Thank you. We're so proud of all our children for all they do, and we're very lucky they are happy and healthy.

Like her younger brother, she's full of endurance, perseverance and shows a lot of leadership. As a seventeen-year-old, she was captain of the adult first team.

I can't profess to be that knowledgeable about netball, but when I go and watch her play you see how happy she is. Our middle child on the other hand is very arty.

I wasn't too bad at football and played in teams until about 18 or so. My issue is, that I'm not really competitive enough, I struggled to get excited about playing in some crappy field in the middle of nowhere

Although my career highlight was definitely scoring an OG against a team, which turned to be their first goal of the season, so they let fireworks off to celebrate lol

We live 2 mins walk from a tennis club so going to take my daughter to that when she is 4. She likes watching them play at the moment
that’s absolutely brilliant.

Distinctly average at sport , made worse by having an older brother who was a stand out footy player . Held my own at rugby and boxing but was never anything more than absolutely bang average on my very best day .

football I could tackle and defend but little else . I definitely got more red cards that the grand total of two goals I scored over decades . One a towering header from a corner and the other a shot from distance that if captured on film would probably be a genuine contender for goal of the season but I’d just put my foot through to clear up towards the centre forward and had no control over any subsequent movement. My greatest memory is of teammates laughing at me knowing what a complete fluke it was .

In the interest of truth and clarity the quality of that goal has almost certainly distorted in my memory as the years have gone on but the amount of laughter hasn’t .

Hope you get your hotel sorted. Springwood is a nice place as much as cemeteries can be. My Mum and auntie are buried there. Enjoy your last night.
Another day, another hangover. Stopped counting now😀

Gave the airline until 10am this morning to sort out my hotel. Got an email at 10.19am. I'll let him off with the 19 mins.😀

I'm usually very pleasant but I can be a hard arse when I have to. If he did his job properly yesterday instead of trying to fob me off everyone would have been happy.

Anyway now making arrangements to see my other nephew who's travelling in from The Lakes. Try and plan it so we arrive at Mannchester Airport around the same time.

Have a great Sunday everyone. Just getting some stodge inside me.

I'd love to know how you'd hot a cows srse with a banjo. Set fire to the banjo maybe😀😃

Sorry Anj. Think I must be in cad mode this morning.

I played netball in junior school and used to go to after school netball club. In my head I was rather good and couldn’t understand why I was never picked for the team, must be the teacher picking her pets. The team sheet was always posted outside the classroom prior to the next match. One day I was thrilled to see my name until a voice from the back exclaimed “Have you see who is Goal Defence (me), we’ll never win now!” Can’t remember whether we won the match or not but that finished me off, never put myself forward for sport again. I would dearly have loved to play football though and wish I could have had the opportunity just for the love of the game as I’m not the least bit competitive.

I played netball in junior school and used to go to after school netball club. In my head I was rather good and couldn’t understand why I was never picked for the team, must be the teacher picking her pets. The team sheet was always posted outside the classroom prior to the next match. One day I was thrilled to see my name until a voice from the back exclaimed “Have you see who is Goal Defence (me), we’ll never win now!” Can’t remember whether we won the match or not but that finished me off, never put myself forward for sport again. I would dearly have loved to play football though and wish I could have had the opportunity just for the love of the game as I’m not the least bit competitive.
That's such a shame. I would have loved to play cricket but back in the day not many girls did.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back