Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

I played netball in junior school and used to go to after school netball club. In my head I was rather good and couldn’t understand why I was never picked for the team, must be the teacher picking her pets. The team sheet was always posted outside the classroom prior to the next match. One day I was thrilled to see my name until a voice from the back exclaimed “Have you see who is Goal Defence (me), we’ll never win now!” Can’t remember whether we won the match or not but that finished me off, never put myself forward for sport again. I would dearly have loved to play football though and wish I could have had the opportunity just for the love of the game as I’m not the least bit competitive.
That's awful H. Can see why you took up pillaging now.

Seriously though. That wasn't nice.

We were offered cricket as an alternative at our grammar school. My friend and I both hated tennis so chose that instead. Quickly wished we hadn’t when we realised we had to play with a proper ball and not a soft one. lol
Wow. That's awesome. The nuns weren't big into sport. Of course in my head I would have been the best opening bat who had ever existed. The reality I suspect would be the polar opposite!

Good afternoon folks. Went to the gym and did some cardio. Can't be doing with things with weights attached when I'm by myself. Strong Irish flavour to the playlist this morning. The Boomtown Rats, The Undertones and Van Morrison featured heavily. Also a bit of Bowie and The Clash.
I always forget how much I like The Undertones until. listen to them. My Perfect Cousin being a masterpiece of storytelling and rhyimg lyrics.

It’s funny looking back at your own sporting career, they way it changes in intensity going up and coming down. I went from football, cricket, tennis, badminton to karate, then horse riding, golf, darts and now dominoes with beer. A changing lifetime summed up in pastimes …..
That's very philosophical Pete. A good way of measuring the passage of time.

Booked into hotel. Was expecting B&B but got an evening meal voucher too. Nice room too. Shuttle service to and from the hotel so all good. Just about to check what's on the box. Nephew turning up around 3.30 so we should get a good 2 hours for a catch up. His Polish wife is pregnant and found out last night that another of my nephew's wife is pregnant. They've been trying for years and went through IVF in the end so made up for him.

I was quite sporty at school but cricket was the one that I didn't take too. The ball was too hard for my liking. Always been a wimp me 😀
You big girls blouse 😜

I had a trial for Liverpool school boys at footie, got to the last 16 it was a great experience, played at a good level in Jersey, and we had Graham le saux in our junior team,

Oh and my mate here Colin is Owen Hargreaves dad just watching him on the telly now, for the barcodes v Utd game

I have never played competitive sport at any level - apart from a brief stint as goal shooter in the school netball team. Soon cut short when they realised that I couldn't hot a cow's arse with a banjo. My co-ordination is awful. I genuinely sometimes think I have some sort of disability. Seriously, I aspire to be average. My brothers however are both really good at cricket, football, tennis, golf etc. God knows what happened to me in the gene pool.

However I digress I love cricket and my Dad was entirely responsible for this. I can't remember the exact year but he was watching an Ashes Test match on the TV. Ray Illingworth was the England captain. I started watching with him, he explained it all to me and I was hooked from then on. We stiil bond over cricket, I've given him my Sky Go codes so now he's fully into the IPL!
Not sure I could live without sport.

As a teenager I played table tennis to a very high standard and was England ranked - but never good enough to play for the national team . I've played ( and lost , of course ) to the then European Champion. After a break of over 30 years I returned to playing a few years ago and still play competitively.

I played football and cricket ( both very badly ) and have been to gym pretty much every day from the age of 16. I remain pretty fit for my age with the same waist size as when I was 21 and only abour 1/2 stone heavier.

I would advocate that everyone should maintain a reasonable level of fitness and that it's never too late to start to get fit.

I also avidly watch sport . Football , of course although with the huge money players are on now I find myself less interested . I particularly enjoy watching the Grand Tours of cycling and cricket.

Mrs J can't stand sport , which is both a blessing and a curse.

Hi All!

I also have a huge love of sports, but unfortunately I was only good in tetherball and dodgeball lol and you can't go too far in those sports! I did like playing volleyball, but I got so bruised when playing that I decided to stop. I have tried tennis and golf and get better when I practice which is pretty much never. lol

I think the "sports gene" skips generations, because both my parents were very good at sports, my Dad was even scouted by the Detroit Tigers when he was playing baseball in high school. My son is great in any sport he plays Right now he is doing trampwall which he has done since age 7.

Even tho I have no sports skills, I absolutely enjoying watching sports which started with baseball and includes most American sports. I don't know much about cricket or rugby, but there is still time. :)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back