Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

I have only been to church once in ROI. SIL wedding. And the difference was astounding to what I was used to in England. In a good way. At one point, all the kids from the village trooped in; not in their Sunday Best, but footie shirts, shorts, all sorts. Was triffic.
Depends where you go of course but my own parish is very much like that.

One of our Priests is football mad and it always works its way into Sermons. Many times he has begun Mass with ‘a short Mass today as many of you, like me, want to see the match’ 😀

I know exactly what you mean. Meadow grass is no comparison to cutting the front garden.

Unlike yourself I have had a lazy day. Mass this morning, which was really good and quite novel actually, turkey dinner then a few pints out for the football.

Re Mass, our Priest at one point invited the congregation to pick out someone you didn’t know or someone you haven’t spoken to in too long, and just go over and say hello and Happy Easter. Even a hug is permitted we were told 😀. So off we all went, mid Mass, off to greet an unfamiliar face.

Such a simple thing but it worked a treat. A lovely vibe around the place after like one big family.
That's lovely! I don't go to church much here, but the Christian churches I have been to also have the "stop, turn to someone you don't know and say "Hi!" moment every week. I agree, it really improves the mood of everyone there!

Hard day today. Remembering meeting my wife some five years after Aberfan when she lived just 12 miles away from that tragic event in 66. Talking through what she remembers, which is less each time we speak. Had a call from my son in the USA who can’t really get his head around what’s going on with his mum, wants to help but of course can do nothing. My lad in Saudi phoned to wish happy Easter and I took eggs around for my granddaughter. A mix of a day I suppose. I’ve always been the hard nosed get things done guy, but I’m struggling at the moment. Obviously when I stop feeling sorry for our current predicament I’ll be fine, but this Alzheimer’s is one barsteward of a disease. Something I’d never given a second thought to, yet now find no end of friends or family being similarly affected…..

Hard day today. Remembering meeting my wife some five years after Aberfan when she lived just 12 miles away from that tragic event in 66. Talking through what she remembers, which is less each time we speak. Had a call from my son in the USA who can’t really get his head around what’s going on with his mum, wants to help but of course can do nothing. My lad in Saudi phoned to wish happy Easter and I took eggs around for my granddaughter. A mix of a day I suppose. I’ve always been the hard nosed get things done guy, but I’m struggling at the moment. Obviously when I stop feeling sorry for our current predicament I’ll be fine, but this Alzheimer’s is one barsteward of a disease. Something I’d never given a second thought to, yet now find no end of friends or family being similarly affected…..
I’m sorry mate. Horrible illness for anybody to have to live with. I hope for as many good days for you both as is possible.

Pete, mate,

I am thinking about you and your beloved wife. I will include you both in my prayers.

This is a difficult time for you all.

My sister is dealing with pancreatic cancer - inoperable - and the chemo has not shrunk the tumour. Thank God it has not increased or spread, but we are all dealing with realities that make EFC a stone in the shoe rather than what keeps us awake at night.

Stay strong my friend and be assured that we are with you!

Oh Pete. Thinking of you and your family. It is a truly awful condition.

Pete, mate,

I am thinking about you and your beloved wife. I will include you both in my prayers.

This is a difficult time for you all.

My sister is dealing with pancreatic cancer - inoperable - and the chemo has not shrunk the tumour. Thank God it has not increased or spread, but we are all dealing with realities that make EFC a stone in the shoe rather than what keeps us awake at night.

Stay strong my friend and be assured that we are with you!

Desperately sorry for your sister…stay strong for her….

That's lovely! I don't go to church much here, but the Christian churches I have been to also have the "stop, turn to someone you don't know and say "Hi!" moment every week. I agree, it really improves the mood of everyone there!
It was a new one for me and I loved it.

@Barnfred 55 alluded to it earlier, the peace and serenity of a church is perfect for slowing the mind down and just embracing the moment.

Hard to know what to say Pete. There are no right words.

Make sure she is as happy as she can be and you make sure you are doing as best as you can. We all have your back on here and always ready for a chat.

I'm so sorry Pete. :( Many prayers for you and your Mrs. There were some natural remedies that I heard had promise for the symptoms. I will do some research.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back