Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

Ok just back from Dr after a very lengthy consultation. Mum definitely doesn't have bowel cancer but had / has a bowel infection which appears to be clearing up on its own. Phew.
Good news mate. But why couldn't he have told you that on the phone, or at least give you an indication that there wasn't anything to be too worried about. I swear they don't think sometimes.

Good news mate. But why couldn't he have told you that on the phone, or at least give you an indication that there wasn't anything to be too worried about. I swear they don't think sometimes.

Its quite simple mate. If there is a scintilla of a chance that a patient will ask a question about any test results, (no one says a word if all clear do they?), it has to be a medical professional on hand to answer. Not a receptionist on the phone. Even "nothing to be TOO worried about" could illicit a question back.

It's worse than that Fred. When I phoned up I was told that I needed to speak to the Dr so arranged a telephone consultation. Ten minutes later I received a phone call saying that the Dr needed to see me and mum " face to face " and could squeeze us in at 4pm , hence I thought the worst.
When we got there we didn't even see the regular GP so I had to explain the whole history yet again and kicked off. The Dr was excellent even though she was a City fan ( Jack Grealish - March was still showing on her calendar).
Sadly I am convinced that you only get anywhere if you are assertive.

Its quite simple mate. If there is a scintilla of a chance that a patient will ask a question about any test results, (no one says a word if all clear do they?), it has to be a medical professional on hand to answer. Not a receptionist on the phone. Even "nothing to be TOO worried about" could illicit a question back.
Maybe mate. But what happened below just isn't acceptable
It's worse than that Fred. When I phoned up I was told that I needed to speak to the Dr so arranged a telephone consultation. Ten minutes later I received a phone call saying that the Dr needed to see me and mum " face to face " and could squeeze us in at 4pm , hence I thought the worst.
When we got there we didn't even see the regular GP so I had to explain the whole history yet again and kicked off. The Dr was excellent even though she was a City fan ( Jack Grealish - March was still showing on her calendar).
Sadly I am convinced that you only get anywhere if you are assertive.
There has to be a middle ground. That's just playing with peoples emotions and it's wrong.

Maybe mate. But what happened below just isn't acceptable

There has to be a middle ground. That's just playing with peoples emotions and it's wrong.

Its not great, granted. But the Tuesday after an Easter bank holiday weekend is one of the busiest days for GP surgeries of the year. My reading of the situation was that the surgery bent over backwards to make sure that @jazzy was informed, by a medical professional, that all was good. And available to answer any questions.

That said, why a phone consultation wasnt on the cards, no idea.

Its not great, granted. But the Tuesday after an Easter bank holiday weekend is one of the busiest days for GP surgeries of the year. My reading of the situation was that the surgery bent over backwards to make sure that @jazzy was informed, by a medical professional, that all was good. And available to answer any questions.

That said, why a phone consultation wasnt on the cards, no idea.
For me there's absolutely no reason why one of the doctors couldn't have had a 1 minute conversation to say I want to see you both to talk through the details, but there isn't much you need to worry about so don't fret. As I said in my initial post, sometimes they just don't think or realise the impact their words have on patients and their families at these times. It happened to us a few times with both Cal's and my parents, and indeed Cal on occasion.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back