Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

Morning all. So glad that it is all over, I ended yesterday afternoon completely drained and feeling as though I had just given birth. lol Mr G. had a surreal experience at the Band Day. He took a seat at a table occupied by three blokes and it turned out one was a Leicester fan and one from Leeds, the other was RS, you are never far from one are you? Bit like rats. Anyway lots of banter and the Leics/Leeds fans actually said Well Done on staying up, probably through gritted teeth though. 🤣.Bit on edge this week now as have trip to Edinburgh booked and hoping they don’t announce any more rail strikes until after the middle of June.
Have a good day, all💙
The same H. Hoping they don't announce anything that can scupper my visit to Edinburgh at the beginning of July.

The same H. Hoping they don't announce anything that can scupper my visit to Edinburgh at the beginning of July.
We where in Edinburgh last week, found a pub in the town centre, it was £6-75 for a meal and with that you get a pint for a nicker,

I’ll find out the name mate and let you know the grub was good as well

Bit of a change of plan today.

Bloody foxes got into the chicken enclosure overnight and killed 2 chickens.

So, completely redid the fence and wire to the chicken coop , which took ages.

Now I'm really pleased that Leicester went down ! ( The foxes - geddit?)

Dont the chickens go into a secure coop at night? We lost an entire lot one year, about 8 of them, just before they took themselves to bed.

Dont the chickens go into a secure coop at night? We lost an entire lot one year, about 8 of them, just before they took themselves to bed.
yes . their hutch , well actiually they have 2 is inside the coop but because we thought the coop was secure we didn't lock them inside the hutch and allowed them to roam in their coop ( about 20 ft x 10 ft )overnight so we don't have to let them out first thing in the morning.

Even though I've now made the coop secure again we wont make that mistake again.

Bit of a change of plan today.

Bloody foxes got into the chicken enclosure overnight and killed 2 chickens.

So, completely redid the fence and wire to the chicken coop , which took ages.

Now I'm really pleased that Leicester went down ! ( The foxes - geddit?)
My grandfather was a farmer for most of his life. From him, I have little sympathy for foxes. Killed many of his chickens and lambs for nothing but enjoyment.

yes . their hutch , well actiually they have 2 is inside the coop but because we thought the coop was secure we didn't lock them inside the hutch and allowed them to roam in their coop ( about 20 ft x 10 ft )overnight so we don't have to let them out first thing in the morning.

Even though I've now made the coop secure again we wont make that mistake again.

Is it built on concrete foundations Jaz? Cos foxes will easily dig under a fence. No matter how high. Our chicks would dutifully troop up the ramp into their wooden, locked, hen house at dusk. They were fenced into an outdoors coop with a normal sized fenced area using chicken wire at first, but we soon allowed them the run of the orchard, and some would come inside/sit on our laps on the patio.

They always had access to feed, but they also developed a taste for pasta, melons and tomatos. Nik and I would make them a cake of all 3 at Christmas!

Nikki's Dad was a farmer, and he will agree with your Grandad. Unlike most predators, they dont just kill what they need.
Exactly. I remember as a young child my grandfather being aghast to find a fox had got into his hen house and slaughtered many, many birds.

It wasn't about feeding, at all. I also remember the passion he took in ensuring that said fox, or at least a local fox, weren't able to attack his farm again.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back