Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

That Tapas bar and view is great , me and Mrs J spent a very pleasant afternoon there with some food and wine
Probably why it's fully booked fir the next 4 months Jazz. I'll try and get a lunch there one day as I really fancied the nenu

But I've had a fantastic meal tonight at the Thai restaurant in Old Town. Seemed to be a lot of locals there too. And the views are to die for.
20230601_185145.jpg

@Barnfred 55 me and Mrs J loved Juliet's Garden Restuarant and Bar. The food was great and fantastic views. Plenty of places to sit outside.

About a 30 minutes walk.

Turn right out of Hugh Town and walk along the coast , really fab place.
Looks good. Probably no further than I walked tonight. Will try and book a table tomorrow see if they have anything before I leave. They may do if its out of the way, like the Thai tonight.

Did you ever get to Old Town Jazz? Absolutely delightful village with a really quaint old pub. It's having a pop quiz Sunday so may swing along. The nexus consists of burger or fish and chops though.

Looks good. Probably no further than I walked tonight. Will try and book a table tomorrow see if they have anything before I leave. They may do if its out of the way, like the Thai tonight.

Did you ever get to Old Town Jazz? Absolutely delightful village with a really quaint old pub. It's having a pop quiz Sunday so may swing along. The nexus consists of burger or fish and chops though.
no we didn't get there. we only had 3 nights on St Marys ( visited ST Martin for a whole day ) and 1 night in Tresco

Probably why it's fully booked fir the next 4 months Jazz. I'll try and get a lunch there one day as I really fancied the nenu

But I've had a fantastic meal tonight at the Thai restaurant in Old Town. Seemed to be a lot of locals there too. And the views are to die for.
View attachment 212332

what are those six vessels in the sky ?…….

Couple of small cruise ships in the vag today. Town didn't seem that busy. Probably all went to Tresco.

Second pic us one uf the ships leaving which I spotted on my way into Old Town.
View attachment 212337View attachment 212338
🤣🤣🤣. Can't say I've ever experienced that!
Sorry - lowering the town of this fine thread.
Loving the pics and hearing about your hols.

🤣🤣🤣. Can't say I've ever experienced that!
Sorry - lowering the town of this fine thread.
Loving the pics and hearing about your hols.
Fred's photos are great aren't they. It's like having another holiday yourself albeit vicariously.
Off to Kefalonia myself soon .
Yet another sunny day here. I usually cut the grass twice a week at this time of year but just like in high summer the growth has completely stopped. We haven't seen any rain here for over a month and the last 3 weeks have barely seen a cloud and full sun is forecast for the next 2 weeks. In one level it's wonderful to have such an unbroken spell of gorgeous weather but on the other you wonder if this is the portent of things to come under global warming .
Ah well watering replaces grass cutting, at least until we get a hosepipe ban.
Housework day today.
Looking forward to the FA cup final tomorrow, it will be lovely to watch a game without stress.
Anyway have a lovely day and weekend y'all.

Fred's photos are great aren't they. It's like having another holiday yourself albeit vicariously.
Off to Kefalonia myself soon .
Yet another sunny day here. I usually cut the grass twice a week at this time of year but just like in high summer the growth has completely stopped. We haven't seen any rain here for over a month and the last 3 weeks have barely seen a cloud and full sun is forecast for the next 2 weeks. In one level it's wonderful to have such an unbroken spell of gorgeous weather but on the other you wonder if this is the portent of things to come under global warming .
Ah well watering replaces grass cutting, at least until we get a hosepipe ban.
Housework day today.
Looking forward to the FA cup final tomorrow, it will be lovely to watch a game without stress.
Anyway have a lovely day and weekend y'all.
I've never been to Kefalonia. I've only ever heard good things about it though. Me and Mr F are doing an oldies version of backpacking round the Greek Islands in September. Featuring hotels and a suitcase rather than a backpack and a tent. I've always wanted to island hop. With the help of a lovely lady on this forum I've booked flights, ferries and hotels - I just hope I've matched all the dates up right! We'll be going to Syros, Andros and Tinos with a few hours in Mykonos one day to change ferries.

I've never been to Kefalonia. I've only ever heard good things about it though. Me and Mr F are doing an oldies version of backpacking round the Greek Islands in September. Featuring hotels and a suitcase rather than a backpack and a tent. I've always wanted to island hop. With the help of a lovely lady on this forum I've booked flights, ferries and hotels - I just hope I've matched all the dates up right! We'll be going to Syros, Andros and Tinos with a few hours in Mykonos one day to change ferries.
Wonderful. We island hopped in our 20s.
We started in Crete and went to Mykonos, Naxos , Paros . It was great and we want to do it again but you'd really have to pack light.
Nowadays we tend to go to boutique hotels ,the Atrium in Skiathos and Lindos Mare in Rhodes last year.
Bit of a departure when we go to Kefalonia as we are staying in an apartment. However the location is incredible. It is literally 10 steps from a mostly deserted beach and a 10 minute walk to the village where there are just 3 or 4 tavernas.
It is a perfect spot for relaxing and walking. We went there in 2019 and loved it.
Mrs J loves the Greek Islands and has a beautiful coffee table book which lists and pictures all 777 of them. She likes to tick them off and reckons we've been to around 46 of them.
In my 30's we seriously thought of a 2nd home there and I learned to speak and read ( to a basic level because the alphabet is so different) Greek. Now I can barely string a few sentences together.

@anjelikaferrett we also went to Santorini on that island hopping,Mrs J reminds me.

I'm sure you will have a fabulous time and Mrs J very jealous as we haven't been to any of those 3 islands - reviews in due course please.

Kefalonia is beautiful but quite a big island and difficult to get around on public transport.

We are staying in the south and to get to Fiskardo in the north ( stunning) is tortuous.

However it is great for hoping as close to Ithaca ( one of our and Homer's faves) , Zakinthos , Lefkada and Corfu.

Talking about learning Greek reminds me of one of my happiest memories. We were hiking in Samos and were looking for a lunch spot in the hills when we came up on a remote village. The taverna had no menu and the patron didn't speak English so in my terrible Greek I asked him for some fish and explained that my wife was vegetarian. His eyes lit up and 20 minutes later brought her a delicious bean stew. He refused to allow me to pay for her meal saying that he had never heard a tourist speak Greek. I felt like the King of Samos for 24 hours!

@anjelikaferrett we also went to Santorini on that island hopping,Mrs J reminds me.

I'm sure you will have a fabulous time and Mrs J very jealous as we haven't been to any of those 3 islands - reviews in due course please.

Kefalonia is beautiful but quite a big island and difficult to get around on public transport.

We are staying in the south and to get to Fiskardo in the north ( stunning) is tortuous.

However it is great for hoping as close to Ithaca ( one of our and Homer's faves) , Zakinthos , Lefkada and Corfu.

Talking about learning Greek reminds me of one of my happiest memories. We were hiking in Samos and were looking for a lunch spot in the hills when we came up on a remote village. The taverna had no menu and the patron didn't speak English so in my terrible Greek I asked him for some fish and explained that my wife was vegetarian. His eyes lit up and 20 minutes later brought her a delicious bean stew. He refused to allow me to pay for her meal saying that he had never heard a tourist speak Greek. I felt like the King of Samos for 24 hours!
What a brilliant story. I always wanted to island hop in my 20s but my friends preferred to stay in one place. 46 is a very impressive number! Mr F and I went to Zakynthos in 2019 it must have been 30 years since I had been to Greece. All I could think of was why have I left it so long!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back