Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

My Nan always said it was bad luck to bring May (hawthorn) blossom into the house, she also had a similar superstition regarding Lilac blossom. Lilac is supposed to be favoured by fairies who kidnapped people and by bringing Lilac into the house you were running the risk of them getting into your home. Beautiful pic. Anj.
Last tree to fruit so the practice was probably not to pick the blossom in case of a bad winter and that probably eventually became a "bad luck" omen in more modern times. Inviting death to the door.
Hawthorn would of been a protective wood (+ something about love), stakes against vampires etc. The fairy tree tradition in Celtic areas is rooted in that, evil lad beheaded and planted beneath the tree. Lots of folk tales in Ulster and Connacht about it. Stoker used it as part of his construction of Dracula.

I like meat and two vag 😀

I'm gonna get banned aren't I.
Trying to re-assert your credentials to be the thread cad, well done Fred.
I am Blue. On Tresco now just having a spot of lunch at The New Inn. Been to The Abbey Gardens this morning. Quite emotional. It's probably the one thing on Cal's bucket list we didn't get round to seeing. It was stunning. Must have taken about 20 pics but I'll need to sort through them later and post the best ones.
Hope you will go back to Tresco later in the week. The walk around the Island ( takes about 3 hours ) is breathtaking and stop for lunch at Ruin beach cafe
Abbey Gardens are very special though.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back