Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

Good afternoon all. Hope you are all OK. I'm so sad about the report that has come out about cricket today. Racist, elitist, mysoginistic, classist. It's just awful. What the hell is wrong with people? Throwing bacon sandwiches at Muslim players, 'no bras in the scorebox'(no doubt passed off as banter). It costs nothing to be nice and to respect people of all colours, creeds and genders. I genuinely despair. I've downloaded the full report to read. One of the things that caught my eye was that England women have never played at Lords but Harrow v Eton gets to play there every year. I'll leave it there before I get on the proper Milly Tant, rabid feminist soap box. But before I do, I really hope the ECB follow through with the proposed sanctions against Yorkshire because, as of now, absolutely nothing has happened to them.

And breathe.....Rainy day here today. Daughter had a day off and made chocolate brownies. The smell wafting up to my work space was awesome! Can't wait to try them after tea. Speaking of tea, we're having an all day breakfast tonight. It may or may not include home made chips. Depends on how many hash browns we've got lurking in the freezer.

Non working day tomorrow. Looking forward to a quiet Wednesday with nothing more taxing than the weekly food shop.

Have a lovely evening folks.

Good afternoon all. Hope you are all OK. I'm so sad about the report that has come out about cricket today. Racist, elitist, mysoginistic, classist. It's just awful. What the hell is wrong with people? Throwing bacon sandwiches at Muslim players, 'no bras in the scorebox'(no doubt passed off as banter). It costs nothing to be nice and to respect people of all colours, creeds and genders. I genuinely despair. I've downloaded the full report to read. One of the things that caught my eye was that England women have never played at Lords but Harrow v Eton gets to play there every year. I'll leave it there before I get on the proper Milly Tant, rabid feminist soap box. But before I do, I really hope the ECB follow through with the proposed sanctions against Yorkshire because, as of now, absolutely nothing has happened to them.

And breathe.....Rainy day here today. Daughter had a day off and made chocolate brownies. The smell wafting up to my work space was awesome! Can't wait to try them after tea. Speaking of tea, we're having an all day breakfast tonight. It may or may not include home made chips. Depends on how many hash browns we've got lurking in the freezer.

Non working day tomorrow. Looking forward to a quiet Wednesday with nothing more taxing than the weekly food shop.

Have a lovely evening folks.
Sadly I really wasn't surprised by the report and as Michael Carberry said ,"I've seen this movie before".
Nothing happened when a similar report came out 20 odd years ago and nothing will happen now. Just look at those old duffers in the MCC. They are more interested in maintaining their traditions and "standards" than embracing an inclusive culture and promoting based on meritocracy.

Hi Everyone!

I hope all of you are having a good day! I have some great news! I was just hired for a job last week! A few of you know I have been not working for a while, and being a stay at a home Mom. The job offer showed up out of the blue. I had been praying a lot about getting one. And last week, I had a feeling I was going to get a job offer, and Wednesday it happened!! I've been saying many thank you prayers to God for that! It's basically the perfect job for me and has everything I wanted, so I feel blessed.

I don't know when I start, but they said next month or August at the latest. Now, I'm crazy busy playing catch up from earlier this year AND getting ready for the job, BUT I'm not complaining! lol
Congratulations VTG - great stuff.

Hi Everyone!

I hope all of you are having a good day! I have some great news! I was just hired for a job last week! A few of you know I have been not working for a while, and being a stay at a home Mom. The job offer showed up out of the blue. I had been praying a lot about getting one. And last week, I had a feeling I was going to get a job offer, and Wednesday it happened!! I've been saying many thank you prayers to God for that! It's basically the perfect job for me and has everything I wanted, so I feel blessed.

I don't know when I start, but they said next month or August at the latest. Now, I'm crazy busy playing catch up from earlier this year AND getting ready for the job, BUT I'm not complaining! lol
That's great news VTG - well done!

Sadly I really wasn't surprised by the report and as Michael Carberry said ,"I've seen this movie before".
Nothing happened when a similar report came out 20 odd years ago and nothing will happen now. Just look at those old duffers in the MCC. They are more interested in maintaining their traditions and "standards" than embracing an inclusive culture and promoting based on meritocracy.
Yes, sad but not surprised.

Is Nairn on the Moray Firth? We went on holiday there years ago. Loved it - also visited Culloden on the same holiday. Whilst I love all the foreign holidays, Scotland is hands down my most favourite place in the world. I never get tired of going there. I've never thought about going to watch a Highland League match while we've been there. May put that right next time.
Yep , about 35 miles up up the road from me on the Moray Firth, super beaches and famous golf courses . Nairn County have a decent ground by Highland League standards , it’s often used for neutral Cup Finals. There’s about a dozen grounds within an hour of me , so you’ll find a match on close by if you ever return to Nairn ! My cousins from Liverpool sometimes fly into Inverness airport , I pick them up and we do local things like Culloden, a super experience , plus dolphin spotting at Fort George.

Yep , about 35 miles up up the road from me on the Moray Firth, super beaches and famous golf courses . Nairn County have a decent ground by Highland League standards , it’s often used for neutral Cup Finals. There’s about a dozen grounds within an hour of me , so you’ll find a match on close by if you ever return to Nairn ! My cousins from Liverpool sometimes fly into Inverness airport , I pick them up and we do local things like Culloden, a super experience , plus dolphin spotting at Fort George.
You're making me want to book a trip! I haven't been since last October when we spent 3 days around Mull of Kintyre in the pouring rain 🤣. Still good though.

I did consider it some years ago, never really had the confidence to take it on. I always thought I may end up making things worse, giving wrong advice etc.

Tbf, you do need confidence, but primarily you are there to listen and as Jazzy says to empathise, not to know all of life’s answers. There will be lots of other people with special knowledge in certain areas and providing a link between them and a caller is the follow up. Of course there will be some real emotional and stressful calls, but by providing a welcome voice and gaining trust would, and I can only imagine, be the first step in helping. I’m sure that it is an amazingly difficult role and the people doing it require a certain amount of mental strength so that they themselves don’t go under. But never underestimate your ability to do this and while trying to avoid being sexist or misogynistic, but women who have some experience of life would, I would have thought be perfect for the role….

Obviously, Fred, Jazzy and myself would tell them to get a grip, stop moaning and get a job…if you get my drift…I threw this last line in to lighten the post…..

@blueloon , I just google him and presto there he is, described as a club legend Robbie Nichol at Buckie
I‘ve heard the name but he was before my time. The two guys I was with at tonight’s match would know of him , I’ll ask them Saturday if I go to another friendly then. Glorious sunshine tonight for the first half , a bit cooler 2nd but a decent 3-2 win for Buckie over SFL Division 2 team Peterhead. 8 o’clock kick off, floodlights not needed , two dubious penalties given against Buckie by a crap referee, 3 or 4 yellow cards , ah it’s good to be back at live fitba 😀

Tbf, you do need confidence, but primarily you are there to listen and as Jazzy says to empathise, not to know all of life’s answers. There will be lots of other people with special knowledge in certain areas and providing a link between them and a caller is the follow up. Of course there will be some real emotional and stressful calls, but by providing a welcome voice and gaining trust would, and I can only imagine, be the first step in helping. I’m sure that it is an amazingly difficult role and the people doing it require a certain amount of mental strength so that they themselves don’t go under. But never underestimate your ability to do this and while trying to avoid being sexist or misogynistic, but women who have some experience of life would, I would have thought be perfect for the role….

Obviously, Fred, Jazzy and myself would tell them to get a grip, stop moaning and get a job…if you get my drift…I threw this last line in to lighten the post…..
That’s very true. Mrs blueloon spent about four years volunteering with the Samaritans and was heavily involved in training at one time. The training and mentoring is very comprehensive and you’re with experienced people at the beginning after completing training. @Gwladysover , I can’t say if it’s for you but it does sound like something you’d be good at depending upon your personal circumstances, time you have available, etc

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back