Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

Oh man it is so cold and miserable here, Mrs bl is muttering about putting the heating on! I was searching the tv channels for Tour de France , Mark Cavendish is one of my favourite sportsmen, when I noticed a couple of things on Sky Arts later , including Blondie live in Berlin for you @peteblue , although I’m sure you’ll have seen it before.

She was 71 when she did that gig…amazing woman…..

Morning all, after a lovely day yesterday we had rain overnight and weather is now overcast and decidedly chilly. In other news we have booked a shepherd’s hut for a few days in deepest darkest Norfolk in late July. A combination of school runs, being on call for childcare duties and rubbish weather has meant we haven’t been able to take as many trips as we would have liked so far this year. I’m not complaining though. Going to Liverpool and Goodison was one of the best ever and I would have gladly traded days out for the rest of my life in return for that one trip. That may sound extreme to some but it really did mean that much to me and all being well I will be lucky enough to go again in August.
We’ve been invited by grandkids nos. 3 & 4 to theirs to watch the football later. This means Grandad will have to keep a lid on the moanfest and subsequent bad language that usually ensues when he watches England games. :lol:
Have a good day, all💙

Morning everyone,

Well it's raining.....again ...so no gardening today.

I wonder if we will see history made today in France with the election of the first ever National Front government under Marine Le Pen. God I hope not , she makes Trump look reasonable.

Suppose I will have to watch the England game but you just know that Southgate will try to bore the opposition into submission.

Anyway have a lovely day everyone

Morning all, after a lovely day yesterday we had rain overnight and weather is now overcast and decidedly chilly. In other news we have booked a shepherd’s hut for a few days in deepest darkest Norfolk in late July. A combination of school runs, being on call for childcare duties and rubbish weather has meant we haven’t been able to take as many trips as we would have liked so far this year. I’m not complaining though. Going to Liverpool and Goodison was one of the best ever and I would have gladly traded days out for the rest of my life in return for that one trip. That may sound extreme to some but it really did mean that much to me and all being well I will be lucky enough to go again in August.
We’ve been invited by grandkids nos. 3 & 4 to theirs to watch the football later. This means Grandad will have to keep a lid on the moanfest and subsequent bad language that usually ensues when he watches England games. :lol:
Have a good day, all💙
Oh I do hope you can make it back to Goodison in August. I promise not to walk you there from your hotel!

Have a good day, all💙
I understand completely and will do my best to attend a game at BMD ,the videos almost make me cry what a ground it will be .

Ok explanation......

Music was great and particularly impressed by the Blonde guitarist with the strange blue outfit. The keyboardist with Albanian roots was very good.

Kasper on drums was excellent but why don't they have a regular drummer?

As for the rest , hmmm it just seems like a vehicle for Aurora to indulge herself.

Don't like Auroras whining voice, but the composition of the songs was interesting and the performance was OTT

I think that's a fair critique.

As for Corrine . Well she performed Black Rainbows which is an album full of anger based on the erasion of Black culture in America. It is interesting , like The Sea which was also anger based but this time because of the drug induced death of her sax playing husband.

IMO it's not a balanced piece of work and difficult to listen to.

For me Nitin Sawnhey was by far the best and most interesting performer today.
Bloody hell mate. There's that many caveats attached I'm surprised you enjoyed it at all. It would have been easier and far quicker to just say it was crap.🤩

That was just a bit of fun. I'll respond properly and give you my thoughts on yesterday's performance later. And before you go bad mouthing Aurora anywhere else you need to know that you are getting your Auroras and Abigails mixed up. Aurora is the Kosovan keyboard player.

I caught a bit of Corinnes set before making tea and quite liked it. A lot more Indie than I was expecting.

Bloody hell mate. There's that many caveats attached I'm surprised you enjoyed it at all. It would have been easier and far quicker to just say it was crap.🤩

That was just a bit of fun. I'll respond properly and give you my thoughts on yesterday's performance later. And before you go bad mouthing Aurora anywhere else you need to know that you are getting your Auroras and Abigails mixed up. Aurora is the Kosovan keyboard player.

I caught a bit of Corinnes set before making tea and quite liked it. A lot more Indie than I was expecting.
Thanks for the correction. I did genuinely enjoy the songs. You know how I feel about Jon Anderson and Yes too.
Corrine has been edgy for some time. The Sea is even more angst riven.

I understand completely and will do my best to attend a game at BMD ,the videos almost make me cry what a ground it will be .
Hopefully we can both make it to a game. Our son and family bought us a stone on Everton Way for Christmas last year. I’d love to see it but I think it will be like finding a needle in a haystack but I’m determined to at least see the Everton Way.

Good morning all. I've just finished doing the leafletting for our local council by election. I've walked miles - round places I never knew existed. My step count is looking extremely healthy! It's really warm and muggy today.
I'll be watching the England match today - no doubt it will be a snoozefest but you never know. Knockout football always adds an edge.
Did anybody watch the T20 final - that was very exciting. I'm not slightly surprised that Jasprit Bumrah won player of the tournament. He was amazing all the way through.

Good morning all. I've just finished doing the leafletting for our local council by election. I've walked miles - round places I never knew existed. My step count is looking extremely healthy! It's really warm and muggy today.
I'll be watching the England match today - no doubt it will be a snoozefest but you never know. Knockout football always adds an edge.
Did anybody watch the T20 final - that was very exciting. I'm not slightly surprised that Jasprit Bumrah won player of the tournament. He was amazing all the way through.
Yes I watched the end ( after promising Fred I would watch TLDP with an open mind ) and couldn't believe what I was watching Anje. South Africa only had to score 30 from 30 balls with 6 wickets in hand but yet again choked.

That said Bumrah is a very special bowler.

Well done with the leafleting , should all be worth it come Friday.

Ok explanation......

Music was great and particularly impressed by the Blonde guitarist with the strange blue outfit. The keyboardist with Albanian roots was very good.

Kasper on drums was excellent but why don't they have a regular drummer?

As for the rest , hmmm it just seems like a vehicle for Aurora to indulge herself.

Don't like Auroras whining voice, but the composition of the songs was interesting and the performance was OTT

I think that's a fair critique.

As for Corrine . Well she performed Black Rainbows which is an album full of anger based on the erasion of Black culture in America. It is interesting , like The Sea which was also anger based but this time because of the drug induced death of her sax playing husband.

IMO it's not a balanced piece of work and difficult to listen to.

For me Nitin Sawnhey was by far the best and most interesting performer today.
The two musicians you highlighted have both been playing their respective instruments since they were children and both took degrees in music at Guildhall School of music. In fact Aurora went on to do a PHD in classical composition. Both are classical/jazz trained and only converted to more contemporary music fairly recently. It's not surprising they are the standout musicians.

Casper is a very competent drummer but for me is not dynamic enough to fit with the bands on stage persona. He often played with the band in the early days before they released any music. I don't know why they haven't employed a permanent drummer and it's something the fans really want to happen. Most of last year they used Rebekah Rayner who is an absolute poppet in addition to being a very good drummer. She just disappeared off the scene in the middle of the bands record store tour to promote the LP in February, Rumour has it that she had the opportunity to appear in the West End Show Six (about King Henry's wives) and opted for that as she wasn't offered a permanent role in the band. Maybe she was just too good looking. For the recent North American tour they used a US based Argentinian drummer called Daiana Azar who I think is by far the best drummer they've ever had. She's like a female Taylor Hawkins, except she's still living. I've posted their set from Coachella in the music thread (page 3423) if you want to check her out sometime.

Yeah, opinion on Abigail can be very divisive and tbh I think she is the main reason for all the on-line hate the band gets. Her voice is unusual but also gives the band it's unique sound, and there's no denying her charisma and stage presence which many critics believe is the backbone of the band (not me by the way). Interesting you think Aurora's voice is standout. It certainly adds to the harmonies but for me the best singer is the rhythm guitarist Lizzie. Here's an acoustic version of Sinner which she wrote.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back