Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

Good evening all. I can concur with the weather. Its cold and wet in Durham. Not fun!
I have had an absolute 'mare of a day. I don't know if I told you our washer broke about a month ago. It is 7 months old. I was initially promised a repair then a replacement when the part could not be located. Nothing has materialised until last week when I was told the repair man would be here today. The man came, without part or replacement appliance and told us we needed a circuit board and he could get it by Friday. Phoned manufacturer who apologised and said they should have sent me an email with an uplift code that I should give to the retailer who will then arrange a replacement. I bought it off Amazon. After a tortuous experience with Amazon Customer Service which involved speaking to 5 different people, they told me the code is useless, they can't do anything with it and I should go back to the manufacturer and ask them for a different solution that they can process. So I went back to the manufacturer who said sorry, once we've issued the code that's our bit done. Case closed. What a palaver. I shall continue this fight tomorrow and tell them I now want a refund not a replacement.
Hope you all had a better day x

Good evening all. I can concur with the weather. Its cold and wet in Durham. Not fun!
I have had an absolute 'mare of a day. I don't know if I told you our washer broke about a month ago. It is 7 months old. I was initially promised a repair then a replacement when the part could not be located. Nothing has materialised until last week when I was told the repair man would be here today. The man came, without part or replacement appliance and told us we needed a circuit board and he could get it by Friday. Phoned manufacturer who apologised and said they should have sent me an email with an uplift code that I should give to the retailer who will then arrange a replacement. I bought it off Amazon. After a tortuous experience with Amazon Customer Service which involved speaking to 5 different people, they told me the code is useless, they can't do anything with it and I should go back to the manufacturer and ask them for a different solution that they can process. So I went back to the manufacturer who said sorry, once we've issued the code that's our bit done. Case closed. What a palaver. I shall continue this fight tomorrow and tell them I now want a refund not a replacement.
That’s awful and one of the disadvantages of buying stuff online - but where else do you go? We’ve got a Currys and that’s it. I dread having to sort out issues for that very reason, it’s frustrating and inconvenient. I bought a couple of bedside lamps at the beginning of the year and one “hummed” when it was on. When I tried to get it swapped they asked me to send a photo of the problem ??? It took me nearly 2 months to get a replacement and 6 months later the damned thing now flickers but I just cba sorting it out. You have my total sympathy

Your redress is against the seller rather than manufacturer Anj.

Are they UK based?

If you bought it with a credit card you might be able to go back to the card provider for redress , think it's The Consumer Credit Act Section 72 sticks in my mind but I've not practiced in this area for almost 30 years! ( and the law could have changed)

That’s rubbish. The trouble with dealing with customer services over the phone is they either don’t understand the problem in the first place or the computer says No and it’s all too easy to keep fobbing you off in the hope you will just go away. Agree with @Val P that there is little choice but to buy online, we only have a Curry’s since John Lewis and Beales, closed down. Hope you have better luck tomorrow.

Are they UK based?

If you bought it with a credit card you might be able to go back to the card provider for redress , think it's The Consumer Credit Act Section 72 sticks in my mind but I've not practiced in this area for almost 30 years! ( and the law could have changed)
@anjelikaferrett curiosity got the better of me and it's Section 75 not 72 ( but what's 3 sections between friends !)

Are they UK based?

That’s what I was thinking , credit card company could be the answer for a refund.

Email Amazon, or better still send a letter directly to Jeff Bezos, explain the situation and state if not resolved in two weeks you’ll see him in court. It’ll be resolved within a day……….

That’s awful and one of the disadvantages of buying stuff online - but where else do you go? We’ve got a Currys and that’s it. I dread having to sort out issues for that very reason, it’s frustrating and inconvenient. I bought a couple of bedside lamps at the beginning of the year and one “hummed” when it was on. When I tried to get it swapped they asked me to send a photo of the problem ??? It took me nearly 2 months to get a replacement and 6 months later the damned thing now flickers but I just cba sorting it out. You have my total sympathy
It sounds like there is a dry connection -where the connection is bad and probably needs soldering ,it could be that there is a loose wire causing the same problem but as they are normally soldered I gave the first option .The thing to do is take the bulb/ shade off as they will rattle and gave it a gentle shake to see if there is anything rattling inside .That should tell you a bit more .

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back