Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

Morning everyone,

😆 😆 😆.

I think AT beat me in the all nighter stakes . After a bottle of Douro , 4 samosas,a cup of tea and a crumpet I eventually fell asleep at 5.30 but not before I saw Shapps OUT, Mordaunt OUT, Rees-Mogg OUT , Coffey OUT, Keegan OUT and finally and the best of the lot Truss OUT.

Great result for Labour especially in Scotland but I think in England their triumph had more to do with Reform and Lib Dems picking up the Tory vote.

So much for Labour to do and not a lot of fiscal headroom to do it.

Anyway after losing our to Mrs J on the number of Labour seats sweep ( I went for 435 she went for 420 ) the next sweep is when I run out of steam and have another kip ( my money's on 2pm ).

Anyway it will be lovely to get back to football tonight and speculating on Everton thereafter.

Have a lovely day everyone.
I'm going to do something I rarely do these days and that is make a political post.

Unlike the previous 2 elections I turned up at the ballot box yesterday and fortunately didn't need to spoil my card as there was a Green option on the list. I can't say that I'm ecstatic or even reasonably optimistic by the outcome, or even surprised for that matter. Obviously I'm delighted that the Tories have been kicked out but that was a foregone conclusion so not much to get excited about. I just have this feeling that things are not going to be significantly better under Starmer, certainly in the short term. There are a lot of things that need fixing and that will take time, a long time. It will also take massive investment requiring huge increases in Govt debt and taxation and I don't think there is a political desire to do either right now. Plus I don't think I've ever been as disengaged with UK politicians as I am right now. or even remotely close to it.

There's no such thing as a perfect political system, they are all flawed to some degree. For the UK system to work it needs a strong opposition and history will back me up on that, regardless of which party is in power. The last 5 years are probably the perfect example of that but Labour having such a huge majority now is not a good thing IMO. I very much doubt it will be as bad as the previous term but there is still nobody there to keep them in check and I guarantee they will make mistakes. How bad they are remains to be seen. I sincerely hope I'm wrong and my reservations turn out to be unfounded. Down here in Cornwall, the Tories have lost all 6 seats with 4 going to Labour and 2 to the LibDems. Much as expected although I was predicting maybe a 50/50 split.

But despite all our domestic issues, for me the 2 biggest problems we face right now is world political stability and global warming. The former we cannot do much about, but I have been very disappointed at how little focus there has been throughout the election campaign on climate change by each of the main political parties. Which is why I went with my conscience and voted Green. I actually feel very worried for our young people. The worlds a scary place and is there any wonder I do what i can to keep myself insulated from it.

Anyway, one more morbid post than it's back to putting a brave face on things. ;)

No probs, here to listen.
I had quite an upsetting phonecall with my sister last night. The eldest one who lives in The Lakes. They recently found a tumor on my brother in laws spleen and yesterday he went in to have his spleen removed. It's quite a complex procedure made worse as he's in his 80s and suffers from dementia. So I knew my sister was really worried leading up to it. Anyway, things didn't go too well and he's now very poorly and in intensive care. He's stable but apparently the next 48 hours are crucial. Even if he does come through they still face the results of the biopsy on the tumor so it's a very worrying time for the family. Sometimes perspective is a leveller.

I had quite an upsetting phonecall with my sister last night. The eldest one who lives in The Lakes. They recently found a tumor on my brother in laws spleen and yesterday he went in to have his spleen removed. It's quite a complex procedure made worse as he's in his 80s and suffers from dementia. So I knew my sister was really worried leading up to it. Anyway, things didn't go too well and he's now very poorly and in intensive care. He's stable but apparently the next 48 hours are crucial. Even if he does come through they still face the results of the biopsy on the tumor so it's a very worrying time for the family. Sometimes perspective is a leveller.
God that is a lot for you to take in. Have you had any updates from your sister today?

G&T Friday will be a short affair tonight as I'm off out with the neighbours. We're going to an evening at Falmouth marina which is a sit down meal followed by a Beatles tribute band. Hopefully take my mind off other things.

I've also got a couple of good friends coming down from Liverpool to see me next weekend. She and Cal were each others bridesmaids and he is a good blue. In fact his season ticket is right behind my nephew's. Really looking forward to seeing them for a few days and getting out and about. Initially I was planning n doing some cooking but sod it. I'm going to treat it like a holiday and take them to some of mine and Cal's favourite haunts.

G&T Friday will be a short affair tonight as I'm off out with the neighbours. We're going to an evening at Falmouth marina which is a sit down meal followed by a Beatles tribute band. Hopefully take my mind off other things.

I've also got a couple of good friends coming down from Liverpool to see me next weekend. She and Cal were each others bridesmaids and he is a good blue. In fact his season ticket is right behind my nephew's. Really looking forward to seeing them for a few days and getting out and about. Initially I was planning n doing some cooking but sod it. I'm going to treat it like a holiday and take them to some of mine and Cal's favourite haunts.

That’s the way Fred. Sorry to hear the medical news and your sister will need an awful lot of support to get through all of this. Hoping it all works out OK for you all…..

Sitting around a hospital is awful and I’m sure she will be glad to hear from you.
We've just exchanged messages. He's still in ICU but markedly improved on yesterday and is now awake and talking. So that's really good news.

In other completely unrelated good news, but nonetheless has put me in a better mood, the UK Official charts have just released their top 40 selling albums for the first 6 months in the UK, and my girls come in at 37. TBH I'm a bit gobsmacked by this as their streaming figures are negligible compared to the others on the list, so their actual physical sales and downloads must be pretty good indeed. To put things in perspective, above them in the charts are no less than 6 albums from Taylor Swift plus numerous "best of" albums from the likes of Abba, Oasis, Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, Weeknd, Eminem, Bob Marley, Queen and Michael Jackson, in addition to all time faves like Rumours and What's the story. The only 2024 releases above them are Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, Billy Eilish, Ariana Grande, Dua Lipa and Beyonce, all massive hitters. Also emphasizes how much of a stranglehold female pop has on the charts.

I'm really chuffed for them. They're still getting battered in some quarters of the internet and social media, so I suppose seeing figures like this puts the bad stuff into perspective.

Anyway, I hope you're feeling better mate. Sorry if I've bored you. :)

We've just exchanged messages. He's still in ICU but markedly improved on yesterday and is now awake and talking. So that's really good news.

In other completely unrelated good news, but nonetheless has put me in a better mood, the UK Official charts have just released their top 40 selling albums for the first 6 months in the UK, and my girls come in at 37. TBH I'm a bit gobsmacked by this as their streaming figures are negligible compared to the others on the list, so their actual physical sales and downloads must be pretty good indeed. To put things in perspective, above them in the charts are no less than 6 albums from Taylor Swift plus numerous "best of" albums from the likes of Abba, Oasis, Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, Weeknd, Eminem, Bob Marley, Queen and Michael Jackson, in addition to all time faves like Rumours and What's the story. The only 2024 releases above them are Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, Billy Eilish, Ariana Grande, Dua Lipa and Beyonce, all massive hitters. Also emphasizes how much of a stranglehold female pop has on the charts.

I'm really chuffed for them. They're still getting battered in some quarters of the internet and social media, so I suppose seeing figures like this puts the bad stuff into perspective.

Anyway, I hope you're feeling better mate. Sorry if I've bored you. :)
That’s very positive news from your sister. You can park some of that worry now and enjoy your evening.

Music conversations never bore me! TLDP are making it for sure as their music is everywhere now, even on the FIFA PlayStation game. That the recent albums chart is dominated by female singers is a follow on from the chatter in the Glasto thread re the current direction of music. One thing that gives me hope though is that actual guitars are used by some of those artists rather than just loops and processed beats. While I always crave an authentic band breaking through, at least some of the big hitters now are very listenable.

As an aside, I blame sharing a train to Dublin last week with rampant Swifties as the cause of my Covid! Couldn’t have been us football fans!

Sorry to hear that mate

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back