Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

….Mrs Eggs is stuck in her 95 year old Mother’s house so just rang and asked me to start Sunday lunch. Putting the chicken in is easy but the roasties will be interesting.
A tip. Par boil the spuds then drain them and give them a good shake in the saucepan. Make sure the oil is really hot before putting them in. You should get lovely crispy roasties then.

8 hours 16 minutes sleep lst night according to my fitbit. Best sleep in months thank God. So many crappy nights in recent weeks as I have been quite down. My sister passed last September and I haven't got over it even 10 months later. Only 64 and we were very close .

Meds are helping a bit, but keep me in your thoughts and prayers if you have a faith. Not easy on Mrs BR who is very patient although she can't fully understand the grieving process that I just need to get through. She is so used to me being the life and soul of everything, but lately I have no interest in anything.
Take it each day as it comes, cry, laugh, scream but as others have said don’t bottle it up. Talking about your sister will help and there is always someone to listen on here. You have a strong faith and the support of a wonderful wife and family and will come through. You will be in my thoughts, as indeed you have been from time to time over the last few months, sending very best wishes.💙

Take it each day as it comes, cry, laugh, scream but as others have said don’t bottle it up. Talking about your sister will help and there is always someone to listen on here. You have a strong faith and the support of a wonderful wife and family and will come through. You will be in my thoughts, as indeed you have been from time to time over the last few months, sending very best wishes.💙
Cheers mate. It wasn't sis getting ill that knocked me, and in fact she was really strong throughout with the attitude 'not why me but why not me'. We were very close and she kept her sense of humour to the end. Since she passed I just feel like I have been kicked in the stomach, and have no energy or interest in things I normally love.

I know it will pass, and I have our daughter's wedding to get strong for in December, in the meantime thanks to all on here for your kind support.

Well said……

Cheers Barnfred! TBH since January 2017 things have been nightmarish. My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia and my sister and I looked after her at home and then in a nursing home before she died in 2022. Mrs BR was diagnosed with breast cancer in July 2018, but following a mastectomy and chemo/radium thank God she has come through fine.

Then my daughter got engaged in Nov 2022 and my sister was so excited and looking forward to the wedding. Sadly in December, just a month later, she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. We got her to Wimbledon last July, a lifetime ambition, but after that she went down rapidly and passed in September.

I really miss her as we were very close and our daughter was devastated at losing her favourite Aunt.

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts, I know time will heal eventually, and my faith remains strong. St Paul wrote of being given a constant thorn that afflicted him all his life. I suppose this is my thorn at the moment and I take consolation in Paul's words 'it is when I am weak that I am strong'
So sorry to hear about all the traumatic times you’ve been through, but pleased that your wife has come through her cancer treatment. It’s good that you have your faith to help you cope and I hope it gives you comfort.

Good morning all on this fine day . @Bluerover my thoughts are with you ,stay strong that man ,time will heal but don't rush it and remember we are here .
I hope all slept well and have a lovely day today .Nothing much going on here other than the bi-weekly shop with a possible forage opportunity if the rain was enough to make the mushrooms pop up their heads ,yes I know it is caps . Have a great day all COYB

Good morning all. It's a lovely bright morning here - no doubt that will change.
I have a question - do any of you know anything about orchids? Chris and Sophie bought me one for Mother's Day. It had one flower on it which fell off. I thought it was dead. However my policy of ignoring it for weeks at a time with the occasional watering seems to have paid off. It now looks like this. Absolutely gorgeous but with an alarming lean to the right ( and we can't have that in this house🤣🤣). I think it needs a bigger pot but I'm reluctant to disturb it - any advice anybody?
20240708_071811.webp

Good morning all. It's a lovely bright morning here - no doubt that will change.
I have a question - do any of you know anything about orchids? Chris and Sophie bought me one for Mother's Day. It had one flower on it which fell off. I thought it was dead. However my policy of ignoring it for weeks at a time with the occasional watering seems to have paid off. It now looks like this. Absolutely gorgeous but with an alarming lean to the right ( and we can't have that in this house🤣🤣). I think it needs a bigger pot but I'm reluctant to disturb it - any advice anybody?
View attachment 263771
Looks the same as mine Anj!

We've not heard from @Vegas Toffee Girl for some time but noted that the temperature for LV was 49° yesterday. Bloody hell!

Same as you Anj , weather is lovely today for a change so it's grass cutting time today.

Looks the same as mine Anj!

We've not heard from @Vegas Toffee Girl for some time but noted that the temperature for LV was 49° yesterday. Bloody hell!

Same as you Anj , weather is lovely today for a change so it's grass cutting time today.
Funnily enough I thought that too. I worry generally about our US friends- their employment laws are nowhere near as good as ours so I hope she's not being run into the ground by work.

View attachment 263771
In my vast treasure trove of all things growing ,I would say from reading that you can and should pot them on but I would be sure to keep the soil level the same as now ( on the bulb) and push that stick in further or buy/fabricate from a coat hanger a frame that supports the plant .Bear in mind they are not OCD and sometimes they want to lean. If you use a coat hanger I am sure MrF with his painting experience will sort out the colour ,I just hope the house paint matches.

Good Morning all.

In work - a colleague, that I do like, has just defined someone "She is neuro-typical". I've never had an actual experience of someone speaking a bit woke, and now it's ruined the start of the week. It's nonsense.

I currently have let it go, but It's in the mind now.
Are you sure you've posted this in the correct thread Andy?😀

Regardless can I just say your reaction is very neorotypical of you. Embrace wokeness mate. I've found it's a lot easier on your well being to just accept things rather than get worked up by them.😀

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back