Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

Pete’s anniversary has got me reminiscing on the way home from Warrington Rylands v Prescot Cables. We got married 33 years ago on Wednesday, the night before I went back to my mum’s house in Wavertree, left the future wife and our first son in Upton on the Wirral. Had a skinful in The Prince Alfred on Wavertree high st because they had Cains bitter , with my one mate who wasn’t on holiday. Next day at the registry office at Birkenhead town hall the registrar said “is this your best man ?” I said “ he’ll have to be , I didn’t know I’d need one”. Anyway last year our anniversary was “today” bank holiday Monday, I said “ have you got any plans for Monday ?” “Why ?” “Well, Prescot Cables are away at Bootle”. I got that look , 32 years I’ve put up with this simpleton 😀

I played for Prescot Cables for a while before being sent by my company (Plessey) to work in south wales where I met my wife. I am forever grateful that they did so….

We had a low key anniversary today, my wife didn’t even react to the cards and well wishes. Took her for our daily drive but our normal celebratory family meal didn’t take place as tbh I’m still down with the death of my best mate and somehow it didn’t seem appropriate. We met up later with friends in the pub, my wife being oblivious to it all, together with my mates widow, a particularly close friend of my wife, and again helped her through yet another day. Not the sort of anniversary I would have planned or wanted, but one that brought comfort nonetheless…sorry for sounding so miserable, but it was different to say the least….

Good morning all on this sunny morn .I hope had a good night and have a lovely day today .
So sorry @peteblue I should have put two and two together to realise it wasn't going to be such a great day . I wish your wife could realise the effort you put in to her day but that is not the way it goes ,perhaps you caring for Mike's wife will actually help clear your mind for short times which could be manna from heaven when you are almost constantly on guard .
Have a great day all COYB

We had a low key anniversary today, my wife didn’t even react to the cards and well wishes. Took her for our daily drive but our normal celebratory family meal didn’t take place as tbh I’m still down with the death of my best mate and somehow it didn’t seem appropriate. We met up later with friends in the pub, my wife being oblivious to it all, together with my mates widow, a particularly close friend of my wife, and again helped her through yet another day. Not the sort of anniversary I would have planned or wanted, but one that brought comfort nonetheless…sorry for sounding so miserable, but it was different to say the least….
No need to apologise, sorry that the occasion was not the one you would have wished but glad that you found comfort in your special day.💙

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back