2020/21 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hasn't looked at his best recently and was shaky tonight, though I do think Holgate generally brings anxiety into a 2 or 3 at the back.

He's been our best centre half over a very long stretch of time now and will raise his levels again soon.
If that's what you call a bit shaky, I'd hate to see him have a bad game.

Being our best centre half in the last few years hasn't exactly been difficult and doesn't mean he is good enough.

Heitinga was player of the season in 11/12. By what metric is Keane a solid defender? Is solid another word for severely limited who looks ok if we play so deep we’re almost on the goal line and the fullbacks never get forward? Then yeah he’s solid.
Heitinga had a great year for us but when he came he was a bit of a flop. Also he deteriorated in quality rapidly for us. Love the shoulder barge but he wasn't consistently great for us beyond that breakout season he had.

Put Holgate next to Mina and watch Mina struggle.

Keane aint great but if you have a CB partner who doesnt communicate then you can make mistakes particularly if you aint Maldini which Keane certainly is not.
That's about the only defence I can make for him, and believe me I want to throttle him tonight. Him and Mina looked comfortable, especially with solidity next to them.

Even so, you've got to be able to clear the ball with a free header. I cant excuse that.

He's a mental midget. Is what it is. Said it when he was 'on form' - it doesn't matter because he's soft mentally and as soon as he faces the tiniest amount of adversity, this is what happens.

He's one of those odd players who would actually look OK in really good sides, because he's a confidence player. But for a side trying to get to that level, he's a complete liability.

If we can mug off a lower half Prem side for a decent fee, we should be all over it. And he'd be an Ashley Williams-esque flop to whatever one of those clubs he goes to.
Disagree purely because he was decent for Burnley. He is a mental midget though and him and Holgate need to bombed out,m.

I agree I rate mina. Keane isnt strong mentally and it let's him down. Nice lad. Difficult to dislike him but I dont think he is near consistent enough to be a regular starter. For me currently it mina and godfrey as my pairing and I think they would compliment each other.
I use to like holgate as a squad player but I'm very doubtful now after this season.
He isnt a good footballer . Mentally not strong enough but his self doubts are there for a reason. He knows that the premier league is way over his ability.

Honestly going to a back 3 hurt him and he doesn't seem to have any chemistry with Holgate.

The four players that are symbolic of our gutless mentality are:

Gomes - goes hiding all the time

Iwobi - goes hiding / isnt good enough

Holgate - arrogant and thinks better than what he is

Delph - see above

The four main suspects that need punting badly in the summer. Letting the whole club and rest of the side down.

Telling that Brands brought in 3/4 of em...

He's a mental midget. Is what it is. Said it when he was 'on form' - it doesn't matter because he's soft mentally and as soon as he faces the tiniest amount of adversity, this is what happens.

He's one of those odd players who would actually look OK in really good sides, because he's a confidence player. But for a side trying to get to that level, he's a complete liability.

If we can mug off a lower half Prem side for a decent fee, we should be all over it. And he'd be an Ashley Williams-esque flop to whatever one of those clubs he goes to.

I've not been a huge fan. He's Phil Jones levels but he's had a good season so far until the injury. He's been awful since coming back into the side.

Jagielka also reinvented himself after that too. I remember him playing half fit in that semi final at Wembley and he was good. I also remember him in one derby 0-0 when they were flying under Klopp, and he must have made 10+ interceptions and volleyed balls away.

Mentally, miles better than Keane.

Yep there were a few derbies especially at Anfield where Jagielka kept us in them by himself. There was the one he unleashed his volley in but he was great that day regardless, and also the one I think when we finished ahead of them for the second season in a row in Moyes last year, 0-0 I think and he just shut the door.

Yes Distin made errors but he was also able to operate outside of his 6 yard box without resembling the evergiven tanker
Haha, nice comment but earlier in the season Keane was boss pinging balls accurately to each wing and driving forward with the ball. He hasn't been able to do that the past couple of months to the same success but he's a good footballer. My opinion of course and happy to agree to disagree mate

The four players that are symbolic of our gutless mentality are:

Gomes - goes hiding all the time

Iwobi - goes hiding / isnt good enough

Holgate - arrogant and thinks better than what he is

Delph - see above

The four main suspects that need punting badly in the summer. Letting the whole club and rest of the side down.

How can Keane or Siggurdson not be in a list of players with terrible mentality.

Think he's had a good season.

Pretty terrible tonight though. Wasn't even just their goals - it was moments like Son just strolled past him.

Him and Holgate doesn't work - both are too passive. Keane is a decent defender but he's not your lead centre half.

He's been excellent for most of the season, esp next to Mina and Godfrey. Bad mistakes tonight but Holgate equally (if not more at) at fault imo.

His form has dipped last few games, it happens. Carlo's just given him extended contract and I'll trust his judgment over the experts on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back