Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Morgan Schneiderlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the time, we were in desperate need for a quality CM.

Anyone thinking otherwise is fooling themselves. Davies has been great, but I think he's surprised even the staff and players with his performances on the pitch.

In Koeman's style, Morgan was an essential purchase.

@davek brings up good points. For me, cm wasn't an area in desperate need of upgrading. Going into this window a striker of some note should have been priority number one followed up by someone who can actually create some chances.
If Barry retired at the end of the season then we would need to replace him wouldn't we? If schneiderlin proves to be the right player in our team then we did well signing him now before he went elsewhere. With Davies besic and Gueye we have now rebuilt the middle of the midfield in 6 months which means in the summer we can let one or two go and not worry about having to replace them. This would allow us to focus on other areas of the pitch instead which makes Walsh job easier.

We do need a striker but I feel that with valencia doing a job in the team and lewen being introduced then we are not as short as we think. If in may we have given time and chances to lewen and he has looked good then it was better than signing a journeyman in this window to plug the gap.

No one was in panic mode, no one didn't realize Davies was good, they just knew that there's 180 minutes of football at DCM, those are extremely important positions considering our lack of center backs. But this idea that we had a STRENGTH in this position because of Gana, Davies, McCarthy, Gibson, Besic, Barry, etc. is comical. Not a single one of those players besides Barry have show an ability to distribute the ball like Morgan, or frankly at ALL, with the possible exception of Gibson, who isn't going to play regardless. Mo maybe a little bit.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Davies work rate, he is still going to play a role, but McCarthy can't stay healthy - nor does he offer anything going forward, Besic can't stay healthy and still is potential not proven, Gibson is...well...Gibson, and Barry can't move and is a HUGE liability out there.

So Morgan gives us something different that we need that we frankly don't have. He's a HUGE upgrade over everyone including Gana, honestly. Those two together suddenly give us an outstanding defensive midfield coupled with the emergence of Davies and the potential and versatility of Besic (who can play in the back if we are playing 5).

It's also why I'd sell McCarthy ASAP. We can take that $10-15M and spend it elsewhere.

But we've gone from mediocre to really good with a single purchase. It's also going to be a net spend of only a couple million once we've sold the others off.

I know I gave you a hypothetical scenario mate so it's all conjecture anyway, but that answer makes zero sense. Why would anyone not support a purchase that improves the team, bearing in mind other "priorities" had now been addressed.

It just confirms that, once you have made up your mind on something, you are incredibility stubborn, and helps feed the view of most members who think you're just a massive WUM.
So if we sell McCarthy for $12M, Gibson for $2, we end up paying a net $8M for Morgan Schneiderlin, who will be worth at least what we paid for him, and we upgrade the position. Now THAT is good business.

It does make sense: if we bought a CM who improved the starting line up it would have less impact than buying a playmaker/forward who improved the starting line up...because the need is greater further up the field to get better.

All of this stuff about "WUM" - dont fall in with the gaggle of posters on here who's only role in life it seems is to see me get a suspension. You're better than that, I know you are.
Read my original post again Dave. We've bought the playmaker who will improve the starting XI, and a back up for Rom (unless you're saying our priority is to buy a striker to upgrade Rom:eek:). So the positions you saw as a priority in your previous posts have been addressed. In such circumstances, how can improving the starting XI be a bad thing?

And all I'm saying is that you are fuelling "the gaggle" with such posts . You make a lot of excellent assessments in some of your posts but they go unnoticed because most people on here don't take you seriously. Just saying.;)

I think @davek point is a fair one here. As is often the case he has a lot of sensible things to say but his delivery style can sometimes be a little dogmatic which leads people to miss the wider point he's making.

I agree that we didn't need Schneiderlin. The re-emergence of McCarthy, change in formation to accommodate Barkley deeper, emergence of Davies and return from injury of Besic prove that. That being said you can see he is a very good defensive midfielder when he comes on. Reads the game well and switches play effectively. I also think Koeman had made his mind up we wanted him well before all of the above and has stuck to it. We will be bringing increasing numbers of younger and "value" signings from Walsh, so having some who Koeman can rely on to come in and perform over the next few weeks and months is important.

Where me and Dave disagree is around how much money we have available. I believe we are supremely well funded and if we want to spend 20 million on Schneiderlin it doesn't mean money won't be available in other areas. He has rightly identified Sigurdson. I think we will make a proper play for him in the summer, but understandably Swansea won't let him go. Where we disagree as well is the fee. In the current market place, where Sissoko and Wijnaldum go for 25 and 30 million respectively to get him for 22 is a deal that is too good to walk away from.

It does make sense: if we bought a CM who improved the starting line up it would have less impact than buying a playmaker/forward who improved the starting line up...because the need is greater further up the field to get better.

All of this stuff about "WUM" - dont fall in with the gaggle of posters on here who's only role in life it seems is to see me get a suspension. You're better than that, I know you are.
I think you are going to have to clarify that thought.

Lets go with the current Barkley/Kev/Rom trio up front. Assuming we are talking about replacing Kev, which I'm all for, do you really think that's a bigger upgrade than the business we did with Morgan? How much would it cost to acquire another attacking player that we better than SuperKev? I recognize it doesn't have to be an out and out replacement in terms of style and player type.

But would you also then sell one of your other forwards? I don't think you can because we don't have enough players up there. I think depth is more the issue in attack, not in DCM. It would be very expensive to improve our starting lineup up front. That being said, we probably have a couple different options on how to do that, so it might not be as expensive as I think provided we aren't looking for a very specific type of player.

Either way, I cannot believe you don't think we bought a DCM that doesn't improve the starting lineup. It's like night and day to me. Barry is past it, man.

I think @davek point is a fair one here. As is often the case he has a lot of sensible things to say but his delivery style can sometimes be a little dogmatic which leads people to miss the wider point he's making.

I agree that we didn't need Schneiderlin. The re-emergence of McCarthy, change in formation to accommodate Barkley deeper, emergence of Davies and return from injury of Besic prove that. That being said you can see he is a very good defensive midfielder when he comes on. Reads the game well and switches play effectively. I also think Koeman had made his mind up we wanted him well before all of the above and has stuck to it. We will be bringing increasing numbers of younger and "value" signings from Walsh, so having some who Koeman can rely on to come in and perform over the next few weeks and months is important.

Where me and Dave disagree is around how much money we have available. I believe we are supremely well funded and if we want to spend 20 million on Schneiderlin it doesn't mean money won't be available in other areas. He has rightly identified Sigurdson. I think we will make a proper play for him in the summer, but understandably Swansea won't let him go. Where we disagree as well is the fee. In the current market place, where Sissoko and Wijnaldum go for 25 and 30 million respectively to get him for 22 is a deal that is too good to walk away from.
Only issue I have with this post is that I do believe we needed a player like Morgan. Barry was such a liability defensively, but he was our only distributor back there. Even IF Davek believe we aren't filled with cash, we just had to many similar players and McCarthy can be sold for a nice price I would think at this point.

So if we sell McCarthy for $12M, Gibson for $2, we end up paying a net $8M for Morgan Schneiderlin, who will be worth at least what we paid for him, and we upgrade the position. Now THAT is good business.
In today's prices I'd be disappointed to get just £12m for McCarthy. Having said that I'd sell Gibson on a free. But if we can get some mugs to pay good money for him I wouldn't say no.

I'm hoping Schneids is going to represent good value irrespective of sales.:)

wait.. no ones seriously dim enough to question the schneiderlin signing are they?

the fact he can't get in the team right now is a absolutely fantastic sign of quality of depth we have in midfield.

Going forward though it's pretty obvious gueye and schneiderlin will be the starting 2.

Read my original post again Dave. We've bought the playmaker who will improve the starting XI, and a back up for Rom (unless you're saying our priority is to buy a striker to upgrade Rom:eek:). So the positions you saw as a priority in your previous posts have been addressed. In such circumstances, how can improving the starting XI be a bad thing?

And all I'm saying is that you are fuelling "the gaggle" with such posts . You make a lot of excellent assessments in some of your posts but they go unnoticed because most people on here don't take you seriously. Just saying.;)
o_O

Who is that?

Only issue I have with this post is that I do believe we needed a player like Morgan. Barry was such a liability defensively, but he was our only distributor back there. Even IF Davek believe we aren't filled with cash, we just had to many similar players and McCarthy can be sold for a nice price I would think at this point.

I think this is a fair point as well. He excels as what we might call a "number 6" with more energy and a better long passing range than Barry. The counter might be, what about Gana or McCarthy or Besic?

@davek brings up good points. For me, cm wasn't an area in desperate need of upgrading. Going into this window a striker of some note should have been priority number one followed up by someone who can actually create some chances.

Cm wasn't needed for an updgrade? I honestly don't see how anyone can see otherwise. Gana is gone... mo is injured ... McCarthy looks like he wants out and Barry... although he looks ok ( I thought he was doing a good job...but was wrong as you can see the difference when he's not playing) is finished.

On top of that... if RK wanted snides , which he obviously did... you can't pick and choose when to sign players that you want... if they become available then you need to sign them or risk losing them.

I think you are going to have to clarify that thought.Lets go with the current Barkley/Kev/Rom trio up front. Assuming we are talking about replacing Kev, which I'm all for, do you really think that's a bigger upgrade than the business we did with Morgan? How much would it cost to acquire another attacking player that we better than SuperKev? I recognize it doesn't have to be an out and out replacement in terms of style and player type. But would you also then sell one of your other forwards? I don't think you can because we don't have enough players up there. I think depth is more the issue in attack, not in DCM. It would be very expensive to improve our starting lineup up front. That being said, we probably have a couple different options on how to do that, so it might not be as expensive as I think provided we aren't looking for a very specific type of player. Either way, I cannot believe you don't think we bought a DCM that doesn't improve the starting lineup. It's like night and day to me. Barry is past it, man.
As @catcherintherye says, he switches play very well and that is the difference he would bring.

I have a fundamentally different view of our attack to you. Mirallas I dont consider anymore. He's just waiting to be sold and offers us nothing. We have Lukaku and Lookman with Barkley backing that effort up. It's not enough to have Lukaku and a youngster who may prove to have a very short run of form. It's essential we get an experienced quality attacker in. If the window closes without that happening I have to judge that getting another CM which adds one more string to our bow wont have been worth the use of resources this January.

If Barry retired at the end of the season then we would need to replace him wouldn't we? If schneiderlin proves to be the right player in our team then we did well signing him now before he went elsewhere. With Davies besic and Gueye we have now rebuilt the middle of the midfield in 6 months which means in the summer we can let one or two go and not worry about having to replace them. This would allow us to focus on other areas of the pitch instead which makes Walsh job easier.

We do need a striker but I feel that with valencia doing a job in the team and lewen being introduced then we are not as short as we think. If in may we have given time and chances to lewen and he has looked good then it was better than signing a journeyman in this window to plug the gap.

Valencia doing a job? Which is what exactly? He has shown if Rom goes down he is not going to do a job. Lewen is injured so take that option away. Just not as excited as some of you for a defensive mid in a team that needs to boost attacking options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back